NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes - and obviously each year that age gap decreases it becomes less significant. At 17 years old 10 months of hockey development and maturation still means something.
I fully understand how the age difference works in junior and how it is for both players and scouts. At the top of the draft they do not view the 4-12 month age gap, and 1 extra season of developmental year as meaningful in any way whatsoever.

Now, for late bloomers like Batherson and the 18 year olds who suddenly "get it", along with the guys who put up big seasons without the skillsets and exposure that the top end guys get, the extra or missing developmental year is taken into account.

Last edited:

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
It's scouts making decisions, not fans, I'm speaking from the scouts position, not the fans, as we have nothing to do with selecting players

I'm stating that Byfields age vs production of others and jimself at "x" age won't be what scouts are looking at, which I can say with certainty as I hear about it from people in the rinks every year.

Lafreniere just put up 105 points in the Q at 17. If Byfield puts up 80/90 points next year, is he an inferior prospect due to the production at the same age?

Not stating it's for Philistines whatsoever, I am stating that just looking at stats isn't wise.

Yeah ok we're not actually debating anything here, we're in pretty much complete agreement on all points. Just a misunderstanding. I assumed buddy was speaking from the fan's point of view because to say age is such a primary factor in scouts' assessment of talent would be absurd. No offense intended to Sweatred here either, as it seems the disagreement is only one of magnitude, and perspective is likely the difference.

Reactions: BondraTime

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If by chance, the Sens get 1OA in 2020. If we can ascertain that a team with #2OA wants Lafrenniere over Byfield and is willing to give up their 2nd to move up the one spot do we do it? If you'd do it would you do it for a 3rd? .. Assuming they are both 2nd OA picks in those respective rounds.

Here are some rankings
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings-preseason-top-62/
2020 NHL Draft

I think there are 3 teams with 2 1st round picks in 2020
Sens, Canes, TBL

If we are 4OA who do we want Perfetti or Lundell? or someone else ... like Drysdale?

Take BPA as always no matter what position.
But if Senators has clear or crucial need for Center then take center.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We'll pick somewhere 1 - 6 this year no question. Top 3 would be a game changer for us. LaFreniere (with Brown?) or Byfield (with Batherson?) would be outstanding and literally make a difference immediately when they make the club.

And target Rossi with the 2nd 1st. I'd give one of the seconds to move up to get him.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
We'll pick somewhere 1 - 6 this year no question. Top 3 would be a game changer for us. LaFreniere (with Brown?) or Byfield (with Batherson?) would be outstanding and literally make a difference immediately when they make the club.

And target Rossi with the 2nd 1st. I'd give one of the seconds to move up to get him.
It's really all on Brown and where we're selecting. The most ideal scenario is Brown kills it this year, and we land Lafreniere. Even if he's a bottom end 1C, that's fine, because Lad and Batherson would help elevate him a bit. That'd be an elite scoring lin in the NHL. And a Tkachuk-Norris-White line would have tons of potential as well.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's really all on Brown and where we're selecting. The most ideal scenario is Brown kills it this year, and we land Lafreniere. Even if he's a bottom end 1C, that's fine, because Lad and Batherson would help elevate him a bit. That'd be an elite scoring lin in the NHL. And a Tkachuk-Norris-White line would have tons of potential as well.

Hopefully some tough choices ahead #Dontscrewthetank - I Also like the idea of running out two twin towers (byfield/brown)as 1-2C for years to come.

Brady - Byfield -
Brown - Batherson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I agree that top 3 would be a game changer. That's why I have trouble with statements that it will take 6 or 7 years for us to be competitive. Take what we have, add a top 3 in 2020, where are we at the drop of the puck in 2021?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
If we are 4OA who do we want Perfetti or Lundell? or someone else ... like Drysdale?
I think it's Lundell, no doubt. We need a top tier centre for one, he fits the mold of what the sens need in their prospect pool / look for in players ( centre, high IQ, responsible 200ft game) & I'd say he's the 4th best prospect in the draft ATM after Laf/Byfield/Raymond.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think it's Lundell, no doubt. We need a top tier centre for one, he fits the mold of what the sens need in their prospect pool / look for in players ( centre, high IQ, responsible 200ft game) & I'd say he's the 4th best prospect in the draft ATM after Laf/Byfield/Raymond.
Askarov or Lapierre

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If the Sens use a top pick on a goalie with the players available in this draft, they aren’t very smart.

I don’t for a second think there’s a chance the Sens use their 1st on a goalie. San Jose pick, sure, though it’s not going to be in the range of where Askerov goes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If the Sens use a top pick on a goalie with the players available in this draft, they aren’t very smart.

I don’t for a second think there’s a chance the Sens use their 1st on a goalie. San Jose pick, sure, though it’s not going to be in the range of where Askerov goes.

With how good this draft is you dont think that Askerov lasts until around the 20th pick? Goalies are so hard to predict, I know he is a star but with the overall talent level in this draft i wouldnt be shocked to see him fall after 15.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

It s why a take Askarov first and after with the San José pick take a center. Maybe try to move up

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
With how good this draft is you dont think that Askerov lasts until around the 20th pick? Goalies are so hard to predict, I know he is a star but with the overall talent level in this draft i wouldnt be shocked to see him fall after 15.
I think he will go in the 5-10 range, one team will scoop him up, hopefully not the Sens.

That's complete conjecture on my party based on others rankings and write ups, and precedence. The only guys I have seen play that are highly rated prospects are Mercer, Lapierre, Lafrenierre, Barren, Bourque, Cormier and Porier. I never got to see Rochette play, but have heard good things.

The better draft eligible Q prospects (outside of Lafrenierre/Mercer/Lapierre/Barron/Porier) are very, very small, like 5-9-5-10 at the biggest.

Askarov I can see going ahead of all but Lafrenierre, I see some team falling in love with a guy like him. He shouldn't go before Lafrenierre, Lapierre or Barron from the Q alone IMO.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That would be awful

Agreed, this team needs two star forward prospects that drive the play, there is potential to land two next year if they do it properly and get some luck in the process.

Askerov's development timeline also doesnt work with the rest of the core, I think they have deliberately been building goalie, defense first with the ability to draft forwards that will be NHL ready in 1 to 3 years in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No real argument other than I think Perfetti is more skilled and I really want the Sens to draft skill at some point

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
No real argument other than I think Perfetti is more skilled and I really want the Sens to draft skill at some point

Well, yeah Perfetti is more skilled. But how their skills will translate to the NHL is another question. Either way, whoever we get in top five will be a hell of a skilled player. From what I've seen from both (not a lot), I suspect Lundell will be the better NHL player, and yes I watched a few games from the Hlinkas this year, including Perfetti's 5/5 breakaway game against Sweden. But from watching Lundell at WJCs last year, he strikes me as a more complete, better down-low player that will translate better to the NHL. And as always, I have to mention Lundell is proven at much higher levels.

That said, I'd be stoked with either of them, and maybe I'll change my mind over the course of the season.

The one thing I don't like is this suggestion from some that we should draft by position. This pick is going to be too important to do something stupid like not pick the best player available. Between Brown, White, Norris, (and all the other picks coming up), we should be able to come away with a really good top two centers. A bluechip elite center would be great, but to leave a Lafreniere or Raymond on the board to target a lesser player who plays center would be insane.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I don’t know why but I have a weird feeling that the Sens won’t tank this season. The hockey gods are going to mess things up. I figure a major overachievement by the Send, plus a few other teams will collapse. My guess is a 26th place finish. I sincerely hope I’m wrong. In case I’m not, any good players in the 6-8 slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad