NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I don’t know why but I have a weird feeling that the Sens won’t tank this season. The hockey gods are going to mess things up. I figure a major overachievement by the Send, plus a few other teams will collapse. My guess is a 26th place finish. I sincerely hope I’m wrong. In case I’m not, any good players in the 6-8 slot?
I was having the same thoughts but I think the only team who can out tank the Sens is the Red Wings.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I don’t know why but I have a weird feeling that the Sens won’t tank this season. The hockey gods are going to mess things up. I figure a major overachievement by the Send, plus a few other teams will collapse. My guess is a 26th place finish. I sincerely hope I’m wrong. In case I’m not, any good players in the 6-8 slot?

Anderson has a job. One job.

;)

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
No real argument other than I think Perfetti is more skilled and I really want the Sens to draft skill at some point
Honestly, I'm happy with either Perfetti or Lundell. Both are high level centres.

1C Lundell/Perfetti
2C Brown
3C Norris
4C Chalpik

I think I'd personally take the skill in Perfetti as well as Brown looks like he would excel as a 2-way 2C. They would compliment each other very well as a 1-2. Either way, that could be very good centre depth in 2 years.

I definitely believe in BPA but I kinda hope we end up landing a skilled winger with that SJ pick. Especially if we get Lundell over Perfetti, it'd be nice to get a little bit more skill on the wing in that top 6.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think this team needs a 1C from the 2020 draft. Leaves White, Norris, Chap, Pager to cover the rest.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, yeah Perfetti is more skilled. But how their skills will translate to the NHL is another question. Either way, whoever we get in top five will be a hell of a skilled player. From what I've seen from both (not a lot), I suspect Lundell will be the better NHL player, and yes I watched a few games from the Hlinkas this year, including Perfetti's 5/5 breakaway game against Sweden. But from watching Lundell at WJCs last year, he strikes me as a more complete, better down-low player that will translate better to the NHL. And as always, I have to mention Lundell is proven at much higher levels.

That said, I'd be stoked with either of them, and maybe I'll change my mind over the course of the season.

The one thing I don't like is this suggestion from some that we should draft by position. This pick is going to be too important to do something stupid like not pick the best player available. Between Brown, White, Norris, (and all the other picks coming up), we should be able to come away with a really good top two centers. A bluechip elite center would be great, but to leave a Lafreniere or Raymond on the board to target a lesser player who plays center would be insane.
The suggestion was based on being 4OA.. and the response was based on Lafreniere and Raymond being in the top 3 and gone by the 4th pick

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Ottawas top goal scorers 2018/19

Mark Stone - Gone
Matt Duchene - Gone
Ryan Dzingel - Gone

Expect us to finish dead last.
Honestly, I hope we do. We were 17th in GF last year, but 31st in GA with 301 goals. I would be fine if that pretty much flipped this year. Work on the defending. Help teach the guys what to do in their own zone first. The offence will come after, when the picks and prospects develop further.

Obviously a big part of that is goaltending, and we have no idea what Andy will look like this year. Nilsson as well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its just not gonna happen, all the bad teams got better and most of the teams are already better than Ottawa. I think they likely get off to a hot start but its just not sustainable look at the d core and goaltending its really bad.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Honestly, I'm happy with either Perfetti or Lundell. Both are high level centres.

1C Lundell/Perfetti
2C Brown
3C Norris
4C Chalpik

I think I'd personally take the skill in Perfetti as well as Brown looks like he would excel as a 2-way 2C. They would compliment each other very well as a 1-2. Either way, that could be very good centre depth in 2 years.

I definitely believe in BPA but I kinda hope we end up landing a skilled winger with that SJ pick. Especially if we get Lundell over Perfetti, it'd be nice to get a little bit more skill on the wing in that top 6.

Jean Luc Foudy looks like a good prospect currently ranked by some sources in the bottom half of the 1st round (SJ pick ?). Could be someone to keep an eye on this year. Another player to watch is Dylan Peterson ... USNTDP .. 6'4" 185lb C .. He hasn't really lit it up yet and will climb the charts if he does.
Draft Analyst has him mid 2nd round now .. not that that is the the definitive guide or anything.

Dylan Peterson seems like this source is high on him

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ottawas top goal scorers 2018/19

Mark Stone - Gone
Matt Duchene - Gone
Ryan Dzingel - Gone

Expect us to finish dead last.

Yeah and those 3 players had around 1/3 of our team's goals, despite being off the team for the last 1/3 of the year.

There's no guarantee we finish last, but we're clearly the worst team on paper entering the season. I'm expecting a bottom 3 finish for sure.

Reactions: Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah and those 3 players had around 1/3 of our team's goals, despite being off the team for the last 1/3 of the year.

There's no guarantee we finish last, but we're clearly the worst team on paper entering the season. I'm expecting a bottom 3 finish for sure.

And every publication/expert that has released their predictions puts us dead last. Hopefully they're right.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't watched a whole lot of this kid yet, so maybe I'm missing something here. From what I have seen, he's a really solid, all-around player. Skills, size, smarts....so why are the scouts saying he isn't going to translate as a center at the pro level? Isn't it a bit of a waste putting a kid with that many tools on the wing?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I haven't watched a whole lot of this kid yet, so maybe I'm missing something here. From what I have seen, he's a really solid, all-around player. Skills, size, smarts....so why are the scouts saying he isn't going to translate as a center at the pro level? Isn't it a bit of a waste putting a kid with that many tools on the wing?
Quite a few wingers are high end impact players. I don't think Lafrenniere has played C at the junior level .. at least not much (predominately a winger). Apparently he played wing earlier in midget AAA as well.
Kucherov
Kane
Rantanen
Gaudreau
Tarasenko
Ovechkin

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly, I hope we do. We were 17th in GF last year, but 31st in GA with 301 goals. I would be fine if that pretty much flipped this year. Work on the defending. Help teach the guys what to do in their own zone first. The offence will come after, when the picks and prospects develop further.

Obviously a big part of that is goaltending, and we have no idea what Andy will look like this year. Nilsson as well.

I suspect the Senators will be 25-31st in GA and 25-31st in GF. The team will have less O-zone time and more D-zone time. The trades of our best players to other teams will have a terrible toll on this team so I fully expect that the team will finish in last place.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Not necessarily. Some very productive players have played on the wing. I do agree that the Senators definitely need to get a top center in the next 2 or 3 drafts in order to climb out of the bottom of the league and compete for a playoff spot. I think the team should always take the BPA, which is usually the consensus pick of the professional draft rating services.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I suspect the Senators will be 25-31st in GA and 25-31st in GF. The team will have less O-zone time and more D-zone time. The trades of our best players to other teams will have a terrible toll on this team so I fully expect that the team will finish in last place.
If we can get down to 250GA I'd be happy. It's progress.

I think a big part of team defence is coaching. Camerons last year, we had 240 GA, Bouchers 1st year we had 210. Only roster change was Brassard/Zibby. His 1-3-1 worked until he failed to adapt when teams figured it out. Then he gave up 500 goals the next 2 years.

Even 2017-2018, our roster was pretty good and still gave up 283 goals.

And last year, under Boucher for the first 57 games with 61/95/18 still there, we had a team GAA of 3.74. The next 5 games we gave up 20 goals and he got fired.

Under Crawford in the last 18 games, without 61/95/18, our team GAA was 3.38. It doesn't sound like much, but that's the difference between 306 GA and 277 GA. Still not good, and it's a small sample size, but coaching does make a difference. Let's just hope we have the right one. I have lots of faith in DJ right now but we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosside

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I think this team needs a 1C from the 2020 draft. Leaves White, Norris, Chap, Pager to cover the rest.

Not necessarily. Some very productive players have played on the wing. I do agree that the Senators definitely need to get a top center in the next 2 or 3 drafts in order to climb out of the bottom of the league and compete for a playoff spot. I think the team should always take the BPA, which is usually the consensus pick of the professional draft rating services.

No, we don't need to draft a center top five. We need an elite skilled forward, at any position. It is very possible that Brown and White (Maybe Norris) will become a very strong top two center combination.

Depending on where we pick and how the chips fall, if the BPA is Lafreniere or Raymond, we have to take them. If it is Byfield, Perfetti or Lundell, then we have to take them.

If we end up with too many centers, we can always trade someone later. If we end up with not enough centers, then as long as we draft high end talent at whatever positions throughout the draft, we can trade those assets for a top center.

St. Louis just won a Cup with both of their top centers were acquired via trade, which they were able to do by years of drafting well and compiling valuable assets.

Reactions: Cosmix and Crosside

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I've always thought he had the intelligence to play the C position and he has a little in the past.

I'm guessing he stays on the wing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Quite a few wingers are high end impact players. I don't think Lafrenniere has played C at the junior level .. at least not much (predominately a winger). Apparently he played wing earlier in midget AAA as well.
Kucherov
Kane
Rantanen
Gaudreau
Tarasenko
Ovechkin
He played wing in Bantam and Midget.

Like Taylor Hall, he has always been a winger.

Usually the higher end guys, or phenoms, take the Center position growing up and stay there, as growing up in Novice/Atom, the best players usually play center. From there they usually go on and keep playing there, or adapt at higher levels in Bantam, and Junior Midget where needed. Similar to football in the States where every year you have guys drafted out of college at the WR position after only playing a year or so there, as they couldn’t make it as a starting QB. Tons, tons of the high end players in the NFL play QB until they got to the NCAA. Some even make the switch in the NFL.

Obviously that’s not the case many times with some who start out at wing immediately, but most young offensive guys want to play center from the get go.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I've always thought he had the intelligence to play the C position and he has a little in the past.

I'm guessing he stays on the wing.
No, we don't need to draft a center top five. We need an elite skilled forward, at any position. It is very possible that Brown and White (Maybe Norris) will become a very strong top two center combination.

Depending on where we pick and how the chips fall, if the BPA is Lafreniere or Raymond, we have to take them. If it is Byfield, Perfetti or Lundell, then we have to take them.

If we end up with too many centers, we can always trade someone later. If we end up with not enough centers, then as long as we draft high end talent at whatever positions throughout the draft, we can trade those assets for a top center.

St. Louis just won a Cup with both of their top centers were acquired via trade, which they were able to do by years of drafting well and compiling valuable assets.

I sorta agree. I didn’t like our Centers when we had Duschene + White. I don’t think Brown + White will be strong enough and we haven't seen Norris. Trading is definetly an option but if we miss out of Laf I don’t see why we don’t take Byfield or one of the top centers.

Reactions: innocent bystander

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I sorta agree. I didn’t like our Centers when we had Duschene + White. I don’t think Brown + White will be strong enough and we haven't seen Norris. Trading is definetly an option but if we miss out of Laf I don’t see why we don’t take Byfield or one of the top centers.
I think Duchene+Brown would have been a very good combo. Too bad we never got to see it. But all 3 of White, Brown and Norris are 22 or younger so it's simply too early to tell if they'll be good enough.

But I hope we just go BPA. Draft BPA, trade for need. Unless BPA is real close, then maybe take the guy who fills the organizational need.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
thoughts on Kasper Simontaival? smaller frame @5'9" but he has good lower body strength. decent skater (although i find he swings his stick too much in open ice, could have better forward momentum) & a lethal shot. I really like his offensive game, could be around with our 2nd 2020 first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad