NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I love the idea of a one-two punch of Byfield and Brown, would love to land him. White can move to the wing or play 3rd line center and give us a real 3 headed monster. Norris I imagine could play wing or 3rd line center as well.

I know I'm getting my hopes up by doing this, and they'll certainly get dashed, but the optimist in me sees some serious potential in a lineup 3 years from now...

Tkachuk (22)-Brown (24)-White (25)
Formenton (22)-Byfield (20)-Batherson (24)
Duclair/Balcers (25)-Norris (23)-Davidsson (25)
Chlapik (25)/Abramov(24)/Gruden (22)-Paul (27)-Pinto (21)/Veronneau (26)

Chabot (25)-JBD (22)
Branstrom (22)-Thomson(21)
Wolanin (27)-Jaros (26)/Zaitsev (30)

Gustavsson (24)/Hogberg (27)/Soogard (21)/Daccord (26)

We would probably fit some vets in and push guys from that 4th line out (and others down a line) but that's nice looking group. We lack high end blue chip guys on the LW, but with the depth we have we might see a surprise or two.

Reality is some guys will bust and the lineup won't end up looking like that at all, and guys that I see as future stars will become stop gaps and filler instead of impact players, but it's the offseason, so let me have this...

Reactions: Cosmix and Vprime

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He played wing in Bantam and Midget.

Like Taylor Hall, he has always been a winger.

Usually the higher end guys, or phenoms, take the Center position growing up and stay there, as growing up in Novice/Atom, the best players usually play center. From there they usually go on and keep playing there, or adapt at higher levels in Bantam, and Junior Midget where needed. Similar to football in the States where every year you have guys drafted out of college at the WR position after only playing a year or so there, as they couldn’t make it as a starting QB. Tons, tons of the high end players in the NFL play QB until they got to the NCAA. Some even make the switch in the NFL.

Obviously that’s not the case many times with some who start out at wing immediately, but most young offensive guys want to play center from the get go.

That's what confuses me. He has all the tools and toolbox to be a dynamic center. I'm confused why coaches at the lower levels put him on wing. You'd think he'd make a bigger impact for the team at center.

Unless there's something I'm missing with the kid.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we can get down to 250GA I'd be happy. It's progress.

I think a big part of team defence is coaching. Camerons last year, we had 240 GA, Bouchers 1st year we had 210. Only roster change was Brassard/Zibby. His 1-3-1 worked until he failed to adapt when teams figured it out. Then he gave up 500 goals the next 2 years.

Even 2017-2018, our roster was pretty good and still gave up 283 goals.

And last year, under Boucher for the first 57 games with 61/95/18 still there, we had a team GAA of 3.74. The next 5 games we gave up 20 goals and he got fired.

Under Crawford in the last 18 games, without 61/95/18, our team GAA was 3.38. It doesn't sound like much, but that's the difference between 306 GA and 277 GA. Still not good, and it's a small sample size, but coaching does make a difference. Let's just hope we have the right one. I have lots of faith in DJ right now but we'll see.

Good teams have good players and generally good coaches; great teams have great players and generally great coaches. The coaching staff can affect team performance but it is the quality of the players that has the most significant impact. With lower quality players, if the coaches focus on defense, the offense suffers. If the coaches focus on generating more offense, the defense suffers. This team currently does not have enough good and great players; it traded the few it had away for picks and prospects. I don't plan on blaming the coaching staff for what I think will happen this coming season. The blame lies elsewhere.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I love the idea of a one-two punch of Byfield and Brown, would love to land him. White can move to the wing or play 3rd line center and give us a real 3 headed monster. Norris I imagine could play wing or 3rd line center as well.

I know I'm getting my hopes up by doing this, and they'll certainly get dashed, but the optimist in me sees some serious potential in a lineup 3 years from now...

Tkachuk (22)-Brown (24)-White (25)
Formenton (22)-Byfield (20)-Batherson (24)
Duclair/Balcers (25)-Norris (23)-Davidsson (25)
Chlapik (25)/Abramov(24)/Gruden (22)-Paul (27)-Pinto (21)/Veronneau (26)

Chabot (25)-JBD (22)
Branstrom (22)-Thomson(21)
Wolanin (27)-Jaros (26)/Zaitsev (30)

Gustavsson (24)/Hogberg (27)/Soogard (21)/Daccord (26)

We would probably fit some vets in and push guys from that 4th line out (and others down a line) but that's nice looking group. We lack high end blue chip guys on the LW, but with the depth we have we might see a surprise or two.

Reality is some guys will bust and the lineup won't end up looking like that at all, and guys that I see as future stars will become stop gaps and filler instead of impact players, but it's the offseason, so let me have this...

I appreciate the last sentence. Far too many posts on here assume every prospect reaches their ceiling. Despite that, I think that the line up that you listed is something to be excited about.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
We should not be worrying about position. We are so far from even being a decent team. Since 07-08, every team except the Kings in 2011-12 had a GF% of 53 (rounded to the nearest whole number) in the regular season. Over the last 3 years, we have had a GF% of about 46. In other words, we score 46 goals for every 54 given up. To get to 53%, we need to score about 61 goals for every 54 given up, or we could score 46 goals for every 40 we give up. Either way, we have such a long way to go, we should not be considering the position of any of our picks. We should be taking the best available player as defined as the player our scouts think is going to have the most impactful career.

Also, we should not expect our top pick to carry us anywhere but the basement without support. We just had an MVP level player in Stone, and he could not bring us anywhere. McDavid, the best player in the world, cannot bring his team anywhere. At best, our top pick replaces Stone, and our top pick becomes an MVP level impact player. To be clear, I am not saying MVP level as win the MVP award; I am measuring it analytically, so take that for what it is worth.

If we had the first pick right now, I'd select Lafreniere, but I think our other pick is, in some sense, more important. In what some are calling a deep draft, there will probably be at least one very good player taken in the 20 range. It would be a huge step forward if we select that player. Of course, the draft is a long time away, and it all depends on exactly where we pick and exactly what players have already been selected, but I'd like to target one of Rossi, Stutzle, Foudy, or Gunler.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
We should not be worrying about position. We are so far from even being a decent team. Since 07-08, every team except the Kings in 2011-12 had a GF% of 53 (rounded to the nearest whole number) in the regular season. Over the last 3 years, we have had a GF% of about 46. In other words, we score 46 goals for every 54 given up. To get to 53%, we need to score about 61 goals for every 54 given up, or we could score 46 goals for every 40 we give up. Either way, we have such a long way to go, we should not be considering the position of any of our picks. We should be taking the best available player as defined as the player our scouts think is going to have the most impactful career.

Also, we should not expect our top pick to carry us anywhere but the basement without support. We just had an MVP level player in Stone, and he could not bring us anywhere. McDavid, the best player in the world, cannot bring his team anywhere. At best, our top pick replaces Stone, and our top pick becomes an MVP level impact player. To be clear, I am not saying MVP level as win the MVP award; I am measuring it analytically, so take that for what it is worth.

If we had the first pick right now, I'd select Lafreniere, but I think our other pick is, in some sense, more important. In what some are calling a deep draft, there will probably be at least one very good player taken in the 20 range. It would be a huge step forward if we select that player. Of course, the draft is a long time away, and it all depends on exactly where we pick and exactly what players have already been selected, but I'd like to target one of Rossi, Stutzle, Foudy, or Gunler.

Stone was not ever once in the discussion for MVP, and therefore he is not an MVP level player. Hes a clear tier below that imo.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Assuming San Jose finishes in the 23-31 range, a kid I think would be very solid to draft in this spot is Jan Mysak. 2002 born Czech winger. 6 foot scoring winger and dominated the U19 Czech league. Played a bit in the top Czech league with HC Litvinov last year and will likely be a regular this upcoming season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stone was not ever once in the discussion for MVP, and therefore he is not an MVP level player. Hes a clear tier below that imo.
Hockey news just rated him 17th in the world. The poster you referenced is clearly analytics driven where Stone is a top 5 player. With these types of ratings he is an MVP level player. He showed in the playoffs what he is capable of, playing on a really good team with really good players. He was the best player in the first round. Had he ever been utilised for anything more in Ottawa than carrying a line of 3rd line talent and second pp time we may have seen that level of play.

Back to the draft, I agree in BPA despite center being a need. The sens are two elite forwards away from being a contender assuming a good chunk of the prospects work out. I think Byfield has the highest ceiling in this draft if he reaches his max potential. If he scores 100 + points this year at 17 i think he goes # 1. Unless someone else absolutely goes off.

I think there are 3 guys with a legit shot at # 1 and another 3 that round out a very elite top 6. As long as the sens finish bottom 3 they get one of them. Very very good chance of this happening.

1st tier
Lafrennier, Raymond Byfield

2nd tier
Lundell, Holtz, Perfetti

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Stone's status in the league keeps getting better and better in here the further we get from that trade. Give it 6 months, he'll get elevated to some guy's all time list soon enough

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He finished 12 in hart voting, but there's a clear split between the guys who finished top 7 and the next batch. I'd say he was tangential to the discussions (which by an incredible coincidence, is how he relates to this thread). He also had an MVP level playoff performance but that was cut short by a bad call and VGK responding in the worst possible way.

Anyhow, we need to replace his impact with whoever we draft this year. I don't care if it's with a center or a winger, we need an elite forward.

Byfield would be a dream come true imo, as would Lafrenierre but I'm assuming we draft 4-6th. Still some excellent players will be available.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He finished 12 in hart voting, but there's a clear split between the guys who finished top 7 and the next batch. I'd say he was tangential to the discussions (which by an incredible coincidence, is how he relates to this thread). He also had an MVP level playoff performance but that was cut short by a bad call and VGK responding in the worst possible way.

Anyhow, we need to replace his impact with whoever we draft this year. I don't care if it's with a center or a winger, we need an elite forward.

Byfield would be a dream come true imo, as would Lafrenierre but I'm assuming we draft 4-6th. Still some excellent players will be available.

Agreed that there is clearly a huge gap between a guy who is #12 in hart voting versus a guy who is legitimately in the conversation for MVP. And while I agree that Stone went crazy in the playoffs and looked dominant, he played one round in a losing effort. Its almost always easier to put up big numbers in the 1st round versus the later rounds. And he had 3 other teammates that were all over a PPG in that series, so its not like he was a one man show either.

We can find dozens of star players who looked MVP worthy over a 7 game sample size, but it doesnt make them an MVP level player though. And dont forget that he was fairly invisible only 3 years ago during our own deep playoff run, so its just as easy to call what we saw from him in April an outlier.

Anyhow, I personally see Drake Batherson as the obvious Mark Stone replacement, and I dont think we are downgrading much at all either by the time that Drake hits his prime (took Stone until age 27 to do that - so hes got lots of time to get there). He doesnt need to replace an MVP level player, he needs to replace Mark Stone (ie a very very good winger).

If we get another top pick in next years draft, I feel like that player will have potential and a ceiling that Mark Stone has not (and will never) ever had. Even though it will likely be a forward that we take, I see this hypothetical new player as the "replacement Franchise player" that we lost when Karlsson left. Those are bigger shoes to fill imo then the ones that Stone left.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
OHL Prospects: Preseason Top 30 for the 2020 NHL Draft
Top 7 below
1. Quinton Byfield - Forward - Sudbury Wolves
Byfield is a straight up beast. He's an August birth date, yet he's already 6'5, 220lbs. This is a man playing against boys at times. But what makes him a potential unstoppable force is the fact that he's actually a fantastic skater. He generates such power in his stride and just explodes into the offensive zone with what appears to be little effort. It's not that straight ahead speed that makes him so hard to contain though. It is his agility; stops, starts, turns. He can cut on a dime and it makes him very difficult to pin down in the offensive zone. Not only can he put you on his back, but he can skate circles around you. Byfield is also a terrific playmaker, something that was on full display at this year's Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. His reads and his anticipation are top notch, which is not something you see very often from players like him, who sometimes have a tendency to drive the net with their head down, using their size/speed advantage predominantly. An aspect of his game that really improved over the second half of his rookie OHL season and was evident at the Hlinka, is his play in all three zones. While there are no doubt times where you'd like to see him use his size more to be more assertive, his instincts and coverage are solid. In fact, you'll see him rotate back to the point and control play from there quite often in the offensive zone, to cover for pinching defenders. He swallows up so much ice with those strides, so the potential for him to develop further as a two-way player is extremely high. An area that I would like to see improve (on top of using his size more consistently away from the puck), is his shot. He can have a tendency to be too pass happy when in tight, trying to thread passes for higher percentage shooting lanes, rather than simply making that quick decision to put the puck home himself. Or he'll try to make an extra move to get the goaltender out of position, again, rather than trusting his shot. As he gains confidence here, the sky is truly the limit. He is a potential player with no flaws who is worth the price of admission to watch.

2. Jamie Drysdale - Defense - Erie Otters
Some may be slightly surprised to see Drysdale ahead of Perfetti, but I do think Drysdale is a special player (not to say that Perfetti isn't) and I'll take a potential franchise defender over a star forward. Compound this with the fact that this year's draft isn't very deep or strong on defense and I think Drysdale has slightly more value currently. Last year in Erie, not only did he play an insane amount of minutes for a 16 year old, but he was also only the fifth U17 defender in the new millennium to hit the 40 point plateau (along with Merkley, Ellis, Del Zotto, and Ebert). At the heart of Drysdale's game is his skating ability. He is just so smooth on the ice, taking little time to hit full speed coming out of the defensive end. But his four way mobility is such an asset in the defensive end. Even though he's not exceptionally strong yet, forwards rarely get by him in transition, or escape him in coverage. Drysdale is also highly intelligent and sees the ice so well. Calm under pressure, you rarely see him make a mistake, despite his aggressiveness on the attack. Quite frankly, I don't see many flaws in Drysdale's game already, and he's only going to get better. One thing that I would like to see improve is his shot and his confidence in using it. He opens up those passing lanes with his mobility when running the point, but you rarely see him looking to exploit those gaps for shots. Also would love to see him take more chances to jump up in the play as a 3rd or 4th man in, again relying on his mobility to recover should he need to. Last year, Drysdale was 29th in the league in shots among defenders. As an elite powerplay QB, I want to see that number jump.

3. Cole Perfetti - Forward - Saginaw Spirit
Tough to rank a player as good as Perfetti third, but someone has to be 3rd in this elite OHL class. Even in ranking him 3rd, I do think that Perfetti deserves to be in discussion for a top 5 selection along with Byfield and Drysdale. As an offensive winger (a projection, as I know he can lineup at center too), I do think that Byfield and Drysdale could be more complete players, and that's why I've got them ahead by a hair right now. This year, his game is bound to be dissected at times as is the case for any draft eligible player. And the first thing likely to be picked on is Perfetti's skating and size combination. He's not the biggest at 5'10, and he's not the quickest player on the ice. But I'm not worried at all about that. I actually think his start ups and edgework are improving greatly, and when you combine that with his elite hockey IQ, you have a dynamic offensive player. You saw what he is capable of at the Hlinka. Well second half of the previous OHL season, he was doing those things pretty regularly too. His anticipation, be it as a goal scorer or a playmaker, is top notch. And he just has this poise with the puck on his stick that can not be taught. He'll work the cycle, keep his feet moving, and eventually find an opening that he believes can create a high end scoring chance. And of course, he has a fantastic shot with a quick release that makes him equal part goal scorer and playmaker. At the Hlinka, I saw Perfetti be a lot more aggressive without the puck, especially as a forechecker and this is something that I really hope caries over to the OHL season this year. Don't be surprised at all if this kid is top 5 in OHL scoring this year.

4. Marco Rossi - Forward - Ottawa 67's
Here's a stat for you (courtesy the great pick224.com) that summarizes Rossi's impact beautifully. His even strength goals for percentage last year was a remarkable 85%, tops in the entire OHL by a pretty significant margin. He is such a strong overall player and a testament to that, is the fact that he was named the East's smartest player in last year's coaches' poll. He creates so much time and space for his wingers because of how well he dictates pace and how well he works below the hash marks. He's not a huge kid at 5'9, 175lbs, but he's very strong on the puck and comes away with the puck in so many of those 50/50 battles. That's because he anticipates the play well and is great at using his body to gain inside leverage on defenders. Rossi is also aggressive in attacking the net, using his strong skating ability and strength on the puck to fight through traffic to generate scoring chances. And as I alluded to earlier, he's a very strong three zone player who projects as a terrific two-way forward at the next level. This is a very complete player who is bound to generate buzz inside the Top 10 if he continues to improve next year as part of another strong Ottawa team.

5. Jacob Perreault - Forward - Sarnia Sting
Perreault was very impressive as a rookie in the OHL last year. The son of former NHL'er Yanic, Perreault is a multi-faceted offensive player. He does a lot of things well. His best asset is a terrific shot. Perreault's elite release allows him to be effective in traffic. He is also a good skater whose first few steps are quite impressive. His quick feet allow him to be a quick strike player who can find those soft spots and beat defenders to gaps or loose pucks. At the Hlinka Camp, we saw him be a lot more confident and aggressive as a puck carrier and this is something that I am really looking forward to seeing from him in his second OHL season. Last year, he was more of a supporting character who relied on his smarts and skill to finish off plays that his linemates created for him. But I want to see how well he creates his own chances this year. And speaking of the Hlinka, still shocked that he did not make that team. He would have been the perfect linemate for Quinton Byfield, who could use his speed and elusiveness to finish off the plays that he was creating.

6. Antonio Stranges - Forward - London Knights
Stranges is a tough player to rank heading into the new year. I had debated putting him lower, but ultimately settled on him here because of his high end upside. There are some things that I really liked last year and some things that concern me about his game. First the positives. Stranges' hands are so good. He is such a creative offensive player who can make multiple defenders miss on any given shift. He really can keep the puck on a string. Stranges is also an explosive skater who has such power in his stride. He has this 10/2, surfing style skating stride that allows him to cut and change direction so efficiently. When you combine his hands and skating, you have a very dynamic player in transition who can attack the offensive zone and really push the pace of attack. Stranges also has an absolutely lethal backhand. He generates just as much power on the backhand as he does with his wrist shot and as such, he goes to it a lot. Now some negatives. First is his ability to work through traffic. The majority of the "electricity" that I saw from Stranges last year occurred in the neutral zone and not the offensive end. So while it looked great, did it really create a scoring chance? I think this is part of why Stranges' ice time fluctuated so greatly in London last year, as the Hunters worked through getting Stranges to be more assertive and a willing combatant in the offensive end. Second is some of the negative things that I have heard about his demeanor, especially stemming from his surprise cut from the U.S. Hlinka team this offseason. Is he the type that will be willing to work on improving some of his weaker areas? But the potential here is sky high.

7. Jean Luc Foudy - Forward - Windsor Spitfires
Like his brother Liam, Jean Luc's game is built around his elite skating ability. He is just so much fun to watch glide around. If he picks up the puck in his own end or neutral zone and is given some daylight, you aren't preventing him from gaining the opposing blueline. And he does a better job than Liam does, at times, in terms of not forcing plays or turning the puck over. Jean Luc is a good playmaker who will circle the offensive zone and continue to keep his feet moving until he feels confident distributing. With the NHL game getting faster and faster, Foudy could most definitely be an offensive asset. There are some things that I am looking for from him during the upcoming year though. The first is attacking the middle of the ice more with his speed. He can be kept to the perimeter currently, and while his speed is impressive, teams neutralize it by challenging him to bring the puck to the net, keeping him to the outside rather easily. I want to see him driving the net to open those lanes for his linemates more effectively, forcing defenders to actually come to him. I also want to see him identifying passing lanes more effectively in his own end and neutral zone. Late in the year (and this was evident at the Hlinka too), teams were really keying in on Foudy early, taking away his time and space before he could get a head of steam and turnovers were a bit of an issue. Lastly, like his brother Liam, Jean Luc's shot will need to improve. Again, teams will cheat when defending against him because they give him that space knowing that he is looking to pass. But his skating ability and skill make him a very exciting player to watch and it will be interesting to see if he can become more of a well rounded offensive player this year.

Reactions: DJB

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We have the chance to do something big down the middle.

Brown - 230+lb
Byfield - 220 lb and growing

Reactions: DJB

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Can't wait for the draft, super excited. Sucks that it's so far away though.
does anyone know when tickets for the Draft usually go on sale? It's likely the most important draft in franchise history and it's an hour and a half away... I'm trying to be there.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
does anyone know when tickets for the Draft usually go on sale? It's likely the most important draft in franchise history and it's an hour and a half away... I'm trying to be there.

God now that i realise that it is in montreal... i will try to go ! especially if we have 1st overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad