NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I have three predictions for draft day:

• We pick Stutzle at #3
• We pick Sanderson at #5
• One of Jake DeBrusk or Alex Tuch will be acquired for a package containing the NYI 1st and our early 2nd round pick (I believe both Boston and Vegas are eyeing Pietrangelo). If we can't land either of them, we'll trade a lesser package for Jordan Greenway.
I think both your top two selections will be incorrect. Byfield and Raymond for me

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Apparently we are trading both of these picks + next year's first for Laf. Which made me laugh.
Did I miss something? Where did this BS rumor come from (also would not make this move if I was Ottawa)?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Rossi is growing on me, not enough for me to want him over Raymond at 5... But I think im at the point where id be ok with it, before I wouldn't even want it considered. Was hellbent on Drysdale or Raymond

Reactions: DJB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He could be an interesting project pick late in the draft. He is a 3rd year draft eligible and his stats are not impressive but he has shown flashes of impressive play at various levels. He also dominated USHS-MN back in 2015-2016. It might make more sense to wait to see how he performs throughout the rest of his NCAA career and then determine whether he is worth a look or not. But he may also be worth a late pick as a project.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Rossi is growing on me, not enough for me to want him over Raymond at 5... But I think im at the point where id be ok with it, before I wouldn't even want it considered. Was hellbent on Drysdale or Raymond

If we draft Byfield I think we take Rossi as well. Byfield is the huge, fast, soft hands center and Rossi is the undersized, notorious IQ, puckhound C. Would be perfect contrast and just the right flair for many deep runs.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I know he's not on Kucherov's skill level, but anyone who says small players are soft can go see Kuch's game today. Man was on a mission.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

• We pick Stutzle at #3
• One of Jake DeBrusk or Alex Tuch will be acquired for a package containing the NYI 1st and our early 2nd round pick (I believe both Boston and Vegas are eyeing Pietrangelo). If we can't land either of them, we'll trade a lesser package for Jordan Greenway.

I can't ever see Vegas trading away Tuch. He can play on any of their top 3 lines and absolutely delivers in the post-season. Wishful thinking but not likely.

Reactions: KahunWOW and bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
is there a way we dont pick top five again next year? i think most of the top 3 d men next year are better prospects then sanderson or drysdale
Dude...we're the Ottawa Senators...we finish 5th last, drop 4 spots, boom, we're drafting 9th.

Seriously though picking top 5 next year we'd need to be a lottery winner as opposed to a loser in my view. I think we'll be better than this year and it's a lot easier to slide down than move up

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

• We pick Stutzle at #3
I think this is about as accurate as it gets. Maybe Byfield over Stutzle who knows depends on L.A. I do think they go D man here, I do think its Sanderson, although id personally pick Drysdale. I dont believe they will pick Drysdale if they believe in Brannstrom. Boy Brannstrom better work out or if the domino effect results in picking the wrong and the sens gave away Stone it could really damage this rebuild. Still cant believe they didnt get a first with him. Id be very happy with Debrusk or Tuch, but i think the sens would need a big add to 28th to get either.

is there a way we dont pick top five again next year? i think most of the top 3 d men next year are better prospects then sanderson or drysdale
This false narrative simply isnt true. Drysdale was just as good as all of them at 16 years old and only progressed. He is at worst on par with them at the same age then had a terrific 17 year old year. Lets see if Clarke/Power make the WJC team and play a prominent role before we annoint them better prospects. A full season alot can change. With the forward depth in this draft the sens should be taking the d man 5 then targeting forwards with the next 5 picks. There are lots of players with huge upside they can take chances on with the 5 picks between 28 and 59.

I know he's not on Kucherov's skill level, but anyone who says small players are soft can go see Kuch's game today. Man was on a mission.
He has a serious edge to his game, I love it. I dont mind when a small guy is willing to stick ya. Both Rossi and Quinn will play that way too, they'll make room for themselves.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Recent #28 picks:

2017 - Shane Bowers
2015 - Anthony Beavelier NYI
2014 - Josh Ho Sang NYI
2012- Brady Skjei NYR
2010 - Charlie Coyle SJ

pretty mixed results but some solid players at 28

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What are your thoughts on Dimtri Rahevsky looks like he could go under the radar & be the steal of draft. Great vision & hockey iq...
eh hockey vision being a double over ager in a weak league. but yeah in what little ive seen of him he looks like Mark Stone vs those guys/kids

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think this is about as accurate as it gets. Maybe Byfield over Stutzle who knows depends on L.A. I do think they go D man here, I do think its Sanderson, although id personally pick Drysdale. I dont believe they will pick Drysdale if they believe in Brannstrom. Boy Brannstrom better work out or if the domino effect results in picking the wrong and the sens gave away Stone it could really damage this rebuild. Still cant believe they didnt get a first with him. Id be very happy with Debrusk or Tuch, but i think the sens would need a big add to 28th to get either.

This false narrative simply isnt true. Drysdale was just as good as all of them at 16 years old and only progressed. He is at worst on par with them at the same age then had a terrific 17 year old year. Lets see if Clarke/Power make the WJC team and play a prominent role before we annoint them better prospects. A full season alot can change. With the forward depth in this draft the sens should be taking the d man 5 then targeting forwards with the next 5 picks. There are lots of players with huge upside they can take chances on with the 5 picks between 28 and 59.

i dont think we could put together a good enough package to get debrusk with 28 overall. i mean we COULD just not one the team or us would want.

my point is i dont want to take a chance on forwards. i want two star forwards .. i mean yes technically you are always taking a chance no matter who you draft. youre a huge drysdale fan so thats fair. but i dont think making team canada means anything. in this context i mean seguin didnt make his wjc team doesnt mean the people that made it were better prospects than him or that the people that made it after him were better prospects than him... only time will tell. but this is a hill i will more thn likely die on. grab our d man next year. THAT being said, if you think we will be you know, 'Ok' next year and have amid round pick then no grab your d man at five (again this is moot if they truly think that at 5 sanderson/ drysdale are by far the best players available, if thats the case then no, you take them.. my suggestion is if all is equal, i would take the forward)

seeing our top 4 d men prospects right now... i can see rationale in the opposite of what you suggest,. take the two forwards, then at 28 theres a few "safe" d men with good size. like we could trade up for schneider or Guhle. not saying i woulfd prefer this, but could see it,.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
i dont think we could put together a good enough package to get debrusk with 28 overall. i mean we COULD just not one the team or us would want.

my point is i dont want to take a chance on forwards. i want two star forwards .. i mean yes technically you are always taking a chance no matter who you draft. youre a huge drysdale fan so thats fair. but i dont think making team canada means anything. in this context i mean seguin didnt make his wjc team doesnt mean the people that made it were better prospects than him or that the people that made it after him were better prospects than him... only time will tell. but this is a hill i will more thn likely die on. grab our d man next year. THAT being said, if you think we will be you know, 'Ok' next year and have amid round pick then no grab your d man at five (again this is moot if they truly think that at 5 sanderson/ drysdale are by far the best players available, if thats the case then no, you take them.. my suggestion is if all is equal, i would take the forward)

seeing our top 4 d men prospects right now... i can see rationale in the opposite of what you suggest,. take the two forwards, then at 28 theres a few "safe" d men with good size. like we could trade up for schneider or Guhle. not saying i woulfd prefer this, but could see it,.

We would need to give up 28 and a big plus .. maybe like Batherson ++ to get a sniff at Debrusk. Tuch pretty much the same thing.. So if that's whats meant by package.
Maybe we can send Brannstrom back to Vegas as part of the package to acquire Tuch... new proudest day incoming.
I do not see Vegas or Boston giving up those two assets for picks and prospects unless we knock their socks off. Both those teams are still in win now mode. They won't shed good young valuable roster players for futures.

Reactions: bert

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We would need to give up 28 and a big plus .. maybe like Batherson ++ to get a sniff at Debrusk. Tuch pretty much the same thing.. So if that's whats meant by package.
Maybe we can send Brannstrom back to Vegas as part of the package to acquire Tuch... new proudest day incoming.
I do not see Vegas or Boston giving up those two assets for picks and prospects unless we knock their socks off. Both those teams are still in win now mode. They won't shed good young valuable roster players for futures.

I don't think the price would be that high for either (by that I mean Batherson, who's considered an A- prospect around the league).

They're both good players, but DeBrusk is an inconsistent 40 point guy who'll be asking for more on a long-term deal than Boston is likely willing to pay. For them, it's probably a bridge or trade, especially as they're likely to be in the running for Pietrangelo.

Alex Tuch is in a similar situation to Colin White. He showed some real promise last year, but this season, put up 17 points in 42 games. Depending on what Vegas wants to do with Lehner and UFAs, trading his $4.5M for a 1st round pick is likely the type of deal they'd be looking for.

Both Boston and Vegas have come out and said that they'll be making changes. With the cap constraints they'll be facing, and most of their attractive pieces having NTCs and NMCs, moving a Debrusk or Tuch to replenish their pick/prospects stock and then making a splash in UFA is something they'll for sure be looking at.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At 5th overall it would be a terrible, terrible pick for a team so deprived of top line/pairing skill, which is found at the top of the draft with a substantially higher percentage, which isn't the case for goalies.

Giving up the skater we could get at 5 for a goalie would not be wise at all. High end players are much, much, much, much harder to come across than goalies who can win in the playoffs.

If this was a pick outside the top 10, Askarov would be an option, and likely a good one.

I probably wouldn't disagree with you if Askarov was not in this draft, it's why I didn't want Knight last yr but to appease us both, I really do hope they make a side deal to acquire another pick or trade down to acquire him. However, this is where I disagree with most posters, I don't think Ottawa lacks skill in their org, they lack it on the team they have now. IMO Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, L. Brown, Duclair, C. Brown, Formenton, Norris & even Thomson, Brannstrom, White, Ryan & a few others could all be considered to be very skilled players & should improve every roster spot in that area over time. I would also argue that they have plenty of speed, sure there are some turtles on their team, but they are slowly being replaced. Formenton has elite speed, so does Duclair & Chabot, Norris, White, C. Brown, Batherson & others are plenty fast, no team has a ton of elite speedsters. This org has a lot of good up & coming players & will add a bunch more in the next two drafts improving every position over time. If they take Sanderson at #5 is that a complete disaster? I don't think so.

I understand what you mean by elite skill & it would be great to have, but not completely necessary & certainly not a disaster when they already have a lot of very good skilled players. They can still win in different ways with different kinds of players, especially if they have elite goaltending. If we look at the playoffs elite players are targeted & teams try to neutralize them, sometimes with success & sometimes not as much. You can bet that Chabot is going to be a target along with whoever they draft at #3. The playoffs also show us that space is taken away, the hitting increases, the intensity increases, decisions need to be made much faster, emotions run high & shit happens. A lot of goals are scored in close by jabbing the puck in, deflecting pucks or ricocheting through numerous arms & legs, there are not that many skilled goals scored. Elite skilled players are fun to watch in the regular season, but the playoffs it's a different beast, you also need different kinds of players who can make a difference, who can step up in big games. Having said all that though I doubt PD takes Askarov with #5 given they already have a number of unproven goalies, but I do hope he trades for him.

Reactions: Oral64

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Wingers are so much easier to aquire than top pairing D men. You can always trade the D man later for a better return. I guess we dissagree on the WJC performance, lots of players dont make it and thrive later on. Very few make it at that age make it thrive then bust, it almost never happens. I dont think you can use that as a comparable example because so few 17 year olds make that team. Even less defenceman make it at 17. How do you just ignore a player that age playing his off side in that high pressure of a situation and say it doesnt matter. Seems like you're pushing an agenda dismissing something that rarely happens.

With this years draft and the lack of data the chance of finding an elite forward late is very high,especially when you have 5 chances to do it in such a forward heavy draft.

I dont think you can ever just assume they wiill be bad, is it likely? Very, however you dont really know what that draft class actually looks like until next season.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I probably wouldn't disagree with you if Askarov was not in this draft, it's why I didn't want Knight last yr but to appease us both, I really do hope they make a side deal to acquire another pick or trade down to acquire him. However, this is where I disagree with most posters, I don't think Ottawa lacks skill in their org, they lack it on the team they have now. IMO Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, L. Brown, Duclair, C. Brown, Formenton, Norris & even Thomson, Brannstrom, White, Ryan & a few others could all be considered to be very skilled players & should improve every roster spot in that area over time. I would also argue that they have plenty of speed, sure there are some turtles on their team, but they are slowly being replaced. Formenton has elite speed, so does Duclair & Chabot, Norris, White, C. Brown, Batherson & others are plenty fast, no team has a ton of elite speedsters. This org has a lot of good up & coming players & will add a bunch more in the next two drafts improving every position over time. If they take Sanderson at #5 is that a complete disaster? I don't think so.

I understand what you mean by elite skill & it would be great to have, but not completely necessary & certainly not a disaster when they already have a lot of very good skilled players. They can still win in different ways with different kinds of players, especially if they have elite goaltending. If we look at the playoffs elite players are targeted & teams try to neutralize them, sometimes with success & sometimes not as much. You can bet that Chabot is going to be a target along with whoever they draft at #3. The playoffs also show us that space is taken away, the hitting increases, the intensity increases, decisions need to be made much faster, emotions run high & shit happens. A lot of goals are scored in close by jabbing the puck in, deflecting pucks or ricocheting through numerous arms & legs, there are not that many skilled goals scored. Elite skilled players are fun to watch in the regular season, but the playoffs it's a different beast, you also need different kinds of players who can make a difference, who can step up in big games. Having said all that though I doubt PD takes Askarov with #5 given they already have a number of unproven goalies, but I do hope he trades for him.

Not every year is the same but speed and skill have absolutely dominated the playoffs this year. MacKinnon, Point, Kucherov, Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson and Hughes to name a few. These guys aren't just banging in rebounds. They make plays at high speed, are confident with the puck and have the skill to break games wide open.

The Lightning, who have been to 4 of the last 6 ECFs, have Point and Kucherov. Not to mention Steven Stamkos. We have nobody in our organization even close to the skill level of these players. And the team with the best combiantion of regular and postseason success over the last 5 years has 3 of that level of player.

If we want to consistently compete we need an upgrade in skill at all positions.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not every year is the same but speed and skill have absolutely dominated the playoffs this year. MacKinnon, Point, Kucherov, Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson and Hughes to name a few. These guys aren't just banging in rebounds. They make plays at high speed, are confident with the puck and have the skill to break games wide open.

The Lightning, who have been to 4 of the last 6 ECFs, have Point and Kucherov. Not to mention Steven Stamkos. We have nobody in our organization even close to the skill level of these players. And the team with the best combiantion of regular and postseason success over the last 5 years has 3 of that level of player.

If we want to consistently compete we need an upgrade in skill at all positions.

Emphasis at forward imo. I totally agree. We have some "skill" on the backend. I think we need a couple crushers that can play a good 2 way game back there. Lots to add

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Emphasis at forward imo. I totally agree. We have some "skill" on the backend. I think we need a couple crushers that can play a good 2 way game back there. Lots to add
The Lightning have Hedman, Sergachev and Mcdonough on D... Those are all legitimate top pair D men. Dallas has Heiskanen, Klingberg and Lindell all top pair guys. You win with a good back end not a thin one. Thats why these two teams are good they debatably have the two best D cores in hockey with probably the two best D men in the world. When I hear Heiskanen comparisons to both Sanderson and Drysdale from a stylelistic stand point it makes me drool.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Lightning have Hedman, Sergachev and Mcdonough on D... Those are all legitimate top pair D men. Dallas has Heiskanen, Klingberg and Lindell all top pair guys. You win with a good back end not a thin one. Thats why these two teams are good they debatably have the two best D cores in hockey with probably the two best D men in the world. When I hear Heiskanen comparisons to both Sanderson and Drysdale from a stylelistic stand point it makes me drool.

Nice backends for sure. Hedman is a an absolute stud. I think Heiskanen is fantastic. I think I would take him ahead of Makar or Quinn.. no dis to either one of them

Shows us how far behind these two teams and even the Blues from last year and the Bruins.....
We won't fix everything in one superb draft but we can pick up a couple of high end pieces and some good complementary ones as well. We need to get lucky with one or two outside the 1st.

We will be back here next year .

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nice backends for sure. Hedman is a an absolute stud. I think Heiskanen is fantastic. I think I would take him ahead of Makar or Quinn.. no dis to either one of them

Shows us how far behind these two teams and even the Blues from last year and the Bruins.....
We won't fix everything in one superb draft but we can pick up a couple of high end pieces and some good complementary ones as well. We need to get lucky with one or two outside the 1st.

We will be back here next year .

washington also had an excellent blue line that was playing super well, Hawks and Kings of course had HOF on theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad