Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Maybe. I do like this quote (which I stole from the Prospects board):
6BMgYzm.png

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Goalies selected top 15 since 2000: Fleury, DiPietro, Montoya, Campbell, Krahn, Leclaire, Blackburn, Lehtonen, Price, Bernier, Helenius

Goalies are a complete crapshoot. Taking Askarov top 5 would be absolute madness. I'd consider him in the mid-teens at the earliest.

I actually had hockeydb open making my own list.

Goalies are voodoo. I would never pick one in the first round.

Reactions: Senscore

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, throwing away our chance to grab 2 elite skaters would be awful for the franchise.
Actually, it would only be one, I assume we would still take either Byfield or Stutzle at #3. And I don't see drafting an elite goalie as throwing away the chance to grab one elite skater when it's quite possible they could find one later on in this draft or in future drafts. Elite goalies don't come around everyday either & some teams have gone decades without an elite goalie or lost championships because their goaltending wasn't up to the task. Of course, it works both ways, they could find a goalie in their system that turns out to play as well as it is required to win a championship, but they haven't yet & I'd rather go with a potential sure thing.

Personally, I would love to see the Sens make a deal to acquire another 1st rd pick where they can draft Askarov. He could be a cornerstone piece moving forward with this rebuild. And coming away from this draft with one of the top 3 best players, one of the two best defencemen & the best goalie would be a coup for this franchise IMO. I would much rather have him on our side than have to play against him, especially in the playoffs. I'm just saying drafting a potential elite goalie would not be a disaster & it's a position that IMO is at least as important if not more important than a winger.

Reactions: Oral64 and Crosside

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Actually, it would only be one, I assume we would still take either Byfield or Stutzle at #3. And I don't see drafting an elite goalie as throwing away the chance to grab one elite skater when it's quite possible they could find one later on in this draft or in future drafts. Elite goalies don't come around everyday either & some teams have gone decades without an elite goalie or lost championships because their goaltending wasn't up to the task. Of course, it works both ways, they could find a goalie in their system that turns out to play as well as it is required to win a championship, but they haven't yet & I'd rather go with a potential sure thing.

Personally, I would love to see the Sens make a deal to acquire another 1st rd pick where they can draft Askarov. He could be a cornerstone piece moving forward with this rebuild. And coming away from this draft with one of the top 3 best players, one of the two best defencemen & the best goalie would be a coup for this franchise IMO. I would much rather have him on our side than have to play against him, especially in the playoffs. I'm just saying drafting a potential elite goalie would not be a disaster & it's a position that IMO is at least as important if not more important than a winger.
At 5th overall it would be a terrible, terrible pick for a team so deprived of top line/pairing skill, which is found at the top of the draft with a substantially higher percentage, which isn't the case for goalies.

Giving up the skater we could get at 5 for a goalie would not be wise at all. High end players are much, much, much, much harder to come across than goalies who can win in the playoffs.

If this was a pick outside the top 10, Askarov would be an option, and likely a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodzilla and HzH

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020

I wouldn't even be mad if we took him at 5

I'm with you HSF. Askarov

Your absolutely right about Askarov and I would argue that goaltender is the most important position on the ice. If the scouts are right, it's no crap shoot with young Russian. He's the real deal and Ottawa would be wise to target him.

Reactions: Crosside

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Apparently we are trading both of these picks + next year's first for Laf. Which made me laugh.

Not trading Byfield/Stutzle + Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale/Perfetti for Laf. Hope it's Byfield and Rossi but cannot go wrong with Stutzle+ either.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Apparently we are trading both of these picks + next year's first for Laf. Which made me laugh.

Not trading Byfield/Stutzle + Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale/Perfetti for Laf. Hope it's Byfield and Rossi but cannot go wrong with Stutzle+ either.

I agree I'd rather build around two studs rather than one. Ottawa has to be stoked. Rangers too.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I have three predictions for draft day:

• We pick Stutzle at #3
• We pick Sanderson at #5
• One of Jake DeBrusk or Alex Tuch will be acquired for a package containing the NYI 1st and our early 2nd round pick (I believe both Boston and Vegas are eyeing Pietrangelo). If we can't land either of them, we'll trade a lesser package for Jordan Greenway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku and aragorn

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Saying that I would be really upset at picking Askarov at #5, is different than saying I would be upset if we picked him elsewhere in the first round.

If I recall correctly, Carey Price was picked #5 overall in the Crosby draft, and he has probably been the best goalie drafted top 10 in decades. With that said though, what has Montreal done to take advantage of a great goalie like that?

Then look back at the past 20 years and list the 19 goalies that have won stanley cups and you will find only Fleury as the one goalie drafted in the top 15.

I mean there is a slim chance whoever drafts Askarov goes on to win the cup in his rookie season or a couple seasons in, but that would just be ironic and funny at that point.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad