NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Oh sorry guys! Spread some misinformation mb! Misremembered it from yesterday. Thx for the corrections

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Sure, but Hedman would be taken over Hughes, in an example like that. Both incredibly skilled, but you’ll take the guy who’s 6’6 instead of 5’10.

Nobody would recommend taking a late-1st round talent in the top 10 because of size, of course.

But when you’re looking at players in the same “tier”, size can definitely be a differentiator.

Sanderson and Drysdale both project to be top 2 defensemen. Sanderson is bigger. That can, and should, be a factor in a drafting decision.
Obviously Hedman is going to be taken over a rookie... the guy is a HOF and Stanley Cup Champ

That has happened before, Lawson Crouse was getting hyped up because of his size and was getting ranked in the top ten even though it was clear as day there was much better players available.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
A possible scenario: Ottawa keeps 3 and 5, but adds 14 through a deal with the Oilers. Edmonton wants to move Kris Russell and his $4M contract which ends 20/21. Apparently the Oilers would be willing to deal pick 14 and Russell for multiple draft picks. starting with a late first rounder. A deal with Ottawa makes a lot of sense. The Senators have 9 picks in the first three rounds, while Edmonton has just 2 as well as nothing in the fourth. Ottawa could take on Russell short-term and offer pick 28, along with 59 and 61. If you consider this scenario plausible, we can now start speculating who might be available @ 14.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Obviously Hedman is going to be taken over a rookie... the guy is a HOF and Stanley Cup Champ

That has happened before, Lawson Crouse was getting hyped up because of his size and was getting ranked in the top ten even though it was clear as day there was much better players available.

I meant if you took an 18 year old Hedman and compared him to an 18 year old Hughes, Makar or Heiskanen. All of those players were incredibly skilled, but Hedman's skill AND size would have set him apart.

And sure, there will always be busts. But in general, this board tends to rush to point out when "big" players bust and use that to back up "skill over size", but then ignore all the "skill" players who also bust.

If Ottawa takes Sanderson over Drysdale because of size, I'm fine with that, because they're in the same tier, and size should be a consideration for any player. It'd be very different than taking Brayden Schneider over Drysdale.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think who they pick at 3 has ZERO bearing on who they take at 5.

It's BPA both times

I would love that to be true , but every time they are asked if they will take BPA they dance around the question and say we will draft whoever helps the Ottawa senators win in the short term and the long term. When they should be saying we will take the guy who we think will be the best player 3-5 years from now

Reactions: Icelevel

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I meant if you took an 18 year old Hedman and compared him to an 18 year old Hughes, Makar or Heiskanen. All of those players were incredibly skilled, but Hedman's skill AND size would have set him apart.

And sure, there will always be busts. But in general, this board tends to rush to point out when "big" players bust and use that to back up "skill over size", but then ignore all the "skill" players who also bust.

If Ottawa takes Sanderson over Drysdale because of size, I'm fine with that, because they're in the same tier, and size should be a consideration for any player. It'd be very different than taking Brayden Schneider over Drysdale.
All four are special players. If we’re ranking them from their early NHL careers Hedman would clearly be last place. Development isn’t linear and I wouldn’t be shocked to see them all three considered for a Norris in their future.

With regards to this draft, I don’t see either Sanderson or Dryadale to be as good as Miro, Makar, Hughes or Hedman. That’s why I want to pass on them for a forward.

Owen Power 2021 is 6’5 and is drawing comparisons to Hedman. You won’t see me complaining if the Sens draft him next year.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Detroit could easily take Sanderson at 4 which will make it interesting.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ugh man wish we could trade down if we are aiming for Sanderson.
Can't because he's likely gone. If he's their guy, they will take them. The 4-10 tier is close, nobody is going to trade back if they have a guy they want.

Trade backs don't happen in the top 10, it's been like 10 years or something since a team traded back in the top 10.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we traded with Devils id doubt it.
They aren't taking their chances with 2 picks for an extra 2nd rounder. Trade backs rarely happen in the top 10, last I can remember was in 08', 12 drafts ago (may have missed 1 since then).

If they have a guy at 4/5, they will take him. What do the Sens need another 2nd for? Take their guy, whoever that may be, use the 4 2nds we already have. No need to get cute.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yeah, Eaves, Karlsson and White are the only guys since 2000 drafted in the 1st by the Sens under 6ft at the draft out of 23 picks. That is with 3 different scouting teams, though it's been pretty consistent with some guys there the whole time, others for more than a decade, and others coming on the past few years.

Safe to say that they like their 1st's to have size, also safe to say it isn't a necessity. If they like a guy, they'll take him.

The guys they have "tended" to like, have had size.

In Trent Mann's interview on TSN1200 he mentioned they value compete over size. He said some smaller players go to the dirty areas and are more competitive and that some bigger players aren't willing or comfortable with going to those dirty areas.

I think the Sens value size but not as much as they value compete level and grittiness. They seem to highly value players that are hard to play against.. my guess is that they would highly value a player with size and compete. But if it comes down to a bigger player who lacks compete and willingness to battle in the dirty areas vs a smaller player that is very competitive and gritty they will take the smaller player.

It seems like a smart strategy as big players that are soft and shy away from the dirty areas dont tend to be very valuable.

Reactions: Rodzilla and DJB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In Trent Mann's interview on TSN1200 he mentioned they value compete over size. He said some smaller players go to the dirty areas and are more competitive and that some bigger players aren't willing or comfortable with going to those dirty areas.

I think the Sens value size but not as much as they value compete level and grittiness. They seem to highly value players that are hard to play against.. my guess is that they would highly value a player with size and compete. But if it comes down to a bigger player who lacks compete and willingness to battle in the dirty areas vs a smaller player that is very competitive and gritty they will take the smaller player.

It seems like a smart strategy as big players that are soft and shy away from the dirty areas dont tend to be very valuable.
Certainly, but at the same time, since 2010, with a total of 64 picks, only 6 have been less than 6ft.

91% of our picks since 2010 have been 6ft or bigger, that's not a coincidence.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Reactions: BigCanadian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino