NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The potential upside to Perfetti is impossible for me to pass up with #5. If we didn’t have pick #3 I’d be tempted to play safer but it’s gravy. I want Raymond as my 1st choice at 5 but Perfetti is 2nd. Rossi is not on my radar, I’d take Quinn ahead of him.

Fine choices, what makes Perfetti a better choice than Rossi in your evaluation?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Fine choices, what makes Perfetti a better choice than Rossi in your evaluation?
It’s basically potential upside. I believe the Rossi will become a 2nd line centre and any team will be very happy with him. Perfetti IMO has the skills and hockey sense to be the best offensive player in the draft bar none. I can’t shake the fear of Perfetti busting and that is based on intangibles such as character and compete level. I have had a conversation with someone in the 67s org that thinks Perfetti sulked and became too individualistic after getting cut from Team Canada and that has stuck with me. I have also heard from posters here who are more in tune with the OHL west who say those are not concerns in the slightest. Either way I think he winds up in Detroit and I pray we take Raymond over the 2 D.

Reactions: armani

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It’s basically potential upside. I believe the Rossi will become a 2nd line centre and any team will be very happy with him. Perfetti IMO has the skills and hockey sense to be the best offensive player in the draft bar none. I can’t shake the fear of Perfetti busting and that is based on intangibles such as character and compete level. I have had a conversation with someone in the 67s org that thinks Perfetti sulked and became too individualistic after getting cut from Team Canada and that has stuck with me. I have also heard from posters here who are more in tune with the OHL west who say those are not concerns in the slightest. Either way I think he winds up in Detroit and I pray we take Raymond over the 2 D.
No clue if he sulked behind the scenes after the cut, I'd assume it hit him hard as it was the first time he never made a team in his life. Only saw a few games but he never showed it in those, and he definitely wasn't individualistic, his numbers definitely don't reflect either of those statements. Lots of people on this board are based in Ontario and see a lot more of the OHL than me, I very well could be off the mark.

Pre-Canada camp - 29gp 15g 31a 46p (pointless in 6 games)

Post-Canada camp - 32gp 22g 43a 65p (pointless in 2 games)

Both his goals per game and assists per game rose after the cut, and he went from 1.58 points per game to 2.06 points per game.

Just looking at his numbers, I'd say he did the opposite of sulking and becoming individualistic.

Reactions: GCK and bert

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
FRIENDLY SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR BOY 'QUIL

Just a heads-up on maybe holding back from sharing your valuable insight and crucial opinions on Stutzle and Byfield on the Kings board for awhile.

At least, maybe until after the draft.

Regardless of how friendly and well-intentioned the post, I've heard of a few folks earning some trolling points (and at such a critical time just before the draft) and frankly I can't really blame the moderators at this point.

It's a hard job trying to keep the peace and after weeks and months of Senators fans dropping by they may be a little more sensitive than usual.

Feel free to lurk, as I'm sure they are doing here, but try to hold back the temptation to inject yourself into the discussion. Or potentially risk not posting for awhile.

Just stick to the Prospects board for now if you have something to share.

Again, I'm not pointing fingers or accusing anyone of anything, just a friendly warning.

Defcon_4_Type1.gif

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Use 28 and other picks/prospects to move up for him would be the only way I'd be fine taking askarov but I think he goes shortly after 10 and not sure it worth the price for us to move up.
I wouldn't hesitate to spend our 28th, 33rd and 61st choices to acquire Askarov. Any team that is in rebuilding mode like Ottawa, must start with a rock solid netminder who is capable of stealing games. Askarov seems to fit the bill.
It would be quite the coup if we are able to keep picks 3 and 5, and acquire Askarov with the surfeit of picks in the first two rounds.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't hesitate to spend our 28th, 33rd and 61st choices to acquire Askarov. Any team that is in rebuilding mode like Ottawa, must start with a rock solid netminder who is capable of stealing games. Askarov seems to fit the bill.
It would be quite the coup if we are able to keep picks 3 and 5, and acquire Askarov with the surfeit of picks in the first two rounds.
I think at best thosecassets ge us to 20 OA, not enough to snag Askarov

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
I think at best thosecassets ge us to 20 OA, not enough to snag Askarov
We could always sweeten the deal by adding Filip Gustavsson, who was 55th OA in the 2016 draft. So then, we get Askarov for a late first rounder and the equivalent of three second rounders. Some may say it's a high price. But to get a top-ranked goalie, you sometimes have to spend heavily.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
We could always sweeten the deal by adding Filip Gustavsson, who was 55th OA in the 2016 draft. So then, we get Askarov for a late first rounder and the equivalent of three second rounders. Some may say it's a high price. But to get a top-ranked goalie, you sometimes have to spend heavily.

If Askarov goes in the top 15, which I think he will, that's not even close.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would rather get 3, 5 and Sanderson. :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
IMO there is a large gap between perfetti and Rossi. Perfetti s IQ and scoring is on another level

Maybe. I do like this quote (which I stole from the Prospects board):

I always come back to Ottawa 67’s general manager James Boyd telling me this about Rossi:

“He’s a phenomenal player. Phenomenal. A few teams that have picked up on it. I’m biased but I think he’s the best player in our league. It’s not often you’ve got a player on your team who is the best offensive player, the best defensive player, the best guy on faceoffs, the best guy on the power play, the best guy on the penalty kill and probably your No. 1 shootout shooter. And the thing is he doesn’t cheat, so as the game goes along, he takes over. The No. 1 thing for me is his skating — which was a concern for some people — is phenomenal. Some guys are interested in getting better, he’s obsessed. If I told him to eat a pound of sunflower seeds every day because it would help him get to the NHL, he’d be right on it. It’s only going to continue. You hear this sort of stuff about Sidney Crosby or Shea Weber when they were juniors, it’s almost like a disorder, the striving to get better. I see the same thing in Marco. Nothing’s going to stop him.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad