NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
maybe the telling sign of things to come at pick 2 :sarcasm:

I think Lisa Dillman picking Stutzle for LA in the Athletic mock draft was pretty interesting, saying it was the prelude to the shift from Byfield to Stutzle.

I was pretty convinced we were getting Stutzle but it's still pretty up in the air - the smoke around Stutzle to LA is hard to ignore though

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
LA is 100% picking Byfield. No question about that despite what the media wants people to believe.

That said, how can we NOT be happy as Senators fans? Stutzle is undoubtedly a more talented player albeit quite a bit smaller If he can improve his shot and build up more strength, he should be a franchise player in this league.

I'd be happy with Byfield, but I don't typically like big players who don't use their size. There's a lot of examples around the league of those players around the league and very few of them pan out. I see more risk in Byfield than Stutzle.

Reactions: NyQuil

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
LA is 100% picking Byfield. No question about that despite what the media wants people to believe.

That said, how can we NOT be happy as Senators fans? Stutzle is undoubtedly a more talented player albeit quite a bit smaller If he can improve his shot and build up more strength, he should be a franchise player in this league.

I'd be happy with Byfield, but I don't typically like big players who don't use their size. There's a lot of examples around the league of those players around the league and very few of them pan out. I see more risk in Byfield than Stutzle.

Source?

Reactions: bert

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Draft day?

This happens every year...Byfield is the unanimous decision at #2 and has a unique blend of size/skill that GM's never pass up. Like I said, I'd be happy if Ottawa chose him, but I see no way that LA passes.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Draft day?

This happens every year...Byfield is the unanimous decision at #2 and has a unique blend of size/skill that GM's never pass up. Like I said, I'd be happy if Ottawa chose him, but I see no way that LA passes.
Every poll from NHL scouts says the exact opposite, which is why he was ranked 3rd from a poll of 10 chief amateur scouts.

I think L.A takes Byfield as well, but that likely plays in our favour.

Reactions: bert

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Draft day?

So his size and skill is something that makes him the unanimous #2, but you're smarter than L.A.'s scouts and don't believe that his size is an advantage?

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Stutzle, but I don't think there's nearly enough evidence to say that L.A. is 100% going either way.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Draft day?

Not by NHL scouts...

I expect LA to take him though.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
So his size and skill is something that makes him the unanimous #2, but you're smarter than L.A.'s scouts and don't believe that his size is an advantage?

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Stutzle, but I don't think there's nearly enough evidence to say that L.A. is 100% going either way.

Not sure I understand what you're saying? Size is an advantage if you use it. In my opinion, there is a lot of cause for concern when you don't use your size. Take Logan Brown as an example. Now Byfield is obviously a much better player, but these are two big guys that don't like to throw their weight around. I am curious to see how Byfield adjusts to the NHL. I know this issue has been beaten to death, and the same can be said with Stutzle not being "big enough".

100% is an exaggeration, obviously. I think there is a very, very slim chance they go for someone else and that's what I'm trying to convey.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Not sure I understand what you're saying? Size is an advantage if you use it. In my opinion, there is a lot of cause for concern when you don't use your size. Take Logan Brown as an example. Now Byfield is obviously a much better player, but these are two big guys that don't like to throw their weight around. I am curious to see how Byfield adjusts to the NHL. I know this issue has been beaten to death, and the same can be said with Stutzle not being "big enough".

100% is an exaggeration, obviously. I think there is a very, very slim chance they go for someone else and that's what I'm trying to convey.

I really hope you're right!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Draft day?

Stutzle was literally put 2nd by the most reliable source, that is simply not unanimous whatsoever.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Yeah I think LA goes with Byfield as well...there is just a decent amount of sources who have suggested they are taking Stutzle.

Lisa from my understanding is decently well connected so I am just curious to know if her pick of Stutzle at 2 is more accurate.

Regardless it just makes the draft more exciting with the uncertaintly there

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If the Kings want Stutzle and know the Sens like Byfield better, it would be smart of them to try to milk a pick out of the Sens to move up to 2nd to take Byfield. Same logic holds if the Sens like Stutzle more and the Kings prefer Byfield.

That may be somewhat behind the conflicting rumours and reports. Not sure if we'll know who we're getting until draft day.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Whoever we draft we're pretty fortunate that there are arguably 3 players who are #1 caliber this draft.

Reactions: jhutter

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I didn’t know where to put this tweet but just guessing it’s just a conference about preparing for draft day, etc....

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
I probably wouldn't disagree with you if Askarov was not in this draft, it's why I didn't want Knight last yr but to appease us both, I really do hope they make a side deal to acquire another pick or trade down to acquire him. However, this is where I disagree with most posters, I don't think Ottawa lacks skill in their org, they lack it on the team they have now. IMO Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, L. Brown, Duclair, C. Brown, Formenton, Norris & even Thomson, Brannstrom, White, Ryan & a few others could all be considered to be very skilled players & should improve every roster spot in that area over time. I would also argue that they have plenty of speed, sure there are some turtles on their team, but they are slowly being replaced. Formenton has elite speed, so does Duclair & Chabot, Norris, White, C. Brown, Batherson & others are plenty fast, no team has a ton of elite speedsters. This org has a lot of good up & coming players & will add a bunch more in the next two drafts improving every position over time. If they take Sanderson at #5 is that a complete disaster? I don't think so.

I understand what you mean by elite skill & it would be great to have, but not completely necessary & certainly not a disaster when they already have a lot of very good skilled players. They can still win in different ways with different kinds of players, especially if they have elite goaltending. If we look at the playoffs elite players are targeted & teams try to neutralize them, sometimes with success & sometimes not as much. You can bet that Chabot is going to be a target along with whoever they draft at #3. The playoffs also show us that space is taken away, the hitting increases, the intensity increases, decisions need to be made much faster, emotions run high & shit happens. A lot of goals are scored in close by jabbing the puck in, deflecting pucks or ricocheting through numerous arms & legs, there are not that many skilled goals scored. Elite skilled players are fun to watch in the regular season, but the playoffs it's a different beast, you also need different kinds of players who can make a difference, who can step up in big games. Having said all that though I doubt PD takes Askarov with #5 given they already have a number of unproven goalies, but I do hope he trades for him.
I'm with you on pursuing a trade for Askarov. Goalies of his stature are don't come around very often. We should start by offering our best netminding prospect Mads Sogaard, drafted #37 in 2019. Then add picks #28 and #33 this year. To me thats more than enough for a player who will land somewhere between 10 and 15.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Nice backends for sure. Hedman is a an absolute stud. I think Heiskanen is fantastic. I think I would take him ahead of Makar or Quinn.. no dis to either one of them

Shows us how far behind these two teams and even the Blues from last year and the Bruins.....
We won't fix everything in one superb draft but we can pick up a couple of high end pieces and some good complementary ones as well. We need to get lucky with one or two outside the 1st.

We will be back here next year .

Says you!

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Anyone listen to the Grant McCagg interview on the Sens Nation Podcast? Didn’t have a lot of good things to say about Byfield.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Anyone listen to the Grant McCagg interview on the Sens Nation Podcast? Didn’t have a lot of good things to say about Byfield.
Yup. Interesting that he thinks Byfield is a 2LC on a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad