NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I agree - but scouts could be 55% sure Laf is the better player and 45% sure Byfield may be the better player. When they vote it looks like 95% in favour of LAF but that may not be accurate.
Any team would take Laf first. But actually, it seems more teams have Byfield potentially lower on their boards than Stutzle. It’s why the latter ended up 2nd on Bob’s list, even though both players got 5 votes each for 2nd place.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lisa Dillman from the Athletic seems to think Sens will be offering 3 and 5 for 1.

I would not be a fan of this.

But can totally see it happening. Melnyk will be pushing this so he can sell more tickets.

Dorion would never consider doing it, and Im positive that he could convince Melnyk pretty easily even if he was pushing hard for it. Wouldnt be a stretch to convince him that were getting an equally big star at #3, even if its a tiny bit of a stretch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Just for fun, I’ve always wondered what can the following packages realistically net us in terms of upgrading our draft position:

1. 5th overall + Logan Brown AND/OR Lassi Thomson
2. NYI pick (18-21) + Logan Brown AND/OR Lassi Thomson

I’m hoping the second ‘AND’ package is enough to move into the top 8 and pick a D-man. I’m more doubtful the first package is enough to move from #5 to 1 but in terms of value I think it’s still pretty solid considering two former first rounders have lots of development under their belts

-Id say 4th at best, but both teams likely say no. NYR laugh if thats your offer for the 1st.

-Might move us up 3-5 spots, maybe more i dunno.. While the Sens seem to be low on Brown atm, they still probably know thats a bad trade for them (unless they have someone super high that slips)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I could definitely see the Sens making a big offer to get first overall but I doubt they would part with both 3 and 5. In a perfect scenario the Sens would acquire first overall and somehow keep 3 so they can get both Lafreniere and Byfield.

I wonder what the Rangers would think of some combination of 5th overall plus Tierney, Balcers, Davidsson, and Abramov. I would even consider parting with Colin White.

Tierney and Balcers were part of the Karlsson trade so the Sens could kind of make a similar offer to that. The Rangers would get two cost controlled RFA assets that could step right into their lineup. They are in the right age range for them and the Rangers might like their potential. The Sens also traded Duchene away for Davidsson, Abramov and a 1st round pick so that should add some value. Neither of the Sens trades offered a guaranteed top 5 pick so that is a big plus.

Overall the Sens have the assets to make some creative proposals.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You know, I just feel Lafreniere would be much better in Ottawa and Byfield/Stutzle better in NY. Even their style of play and marketability.

3rd+NYI 1st + CLB 2nd + Pinto/Thomson for 1st overall.

That's a damn freaking coup for NYR. 3 1st round picks. Not enough?

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I just don’t think some people understand that the Rangers aren’t looking for quantity anymore due to having a deep dark system. But more importantly, they are under no obligations to pass on Laf. Our management has made it clear that unless they are given an offer that absolutely blows them out of the water, they aren’t trading the selection. Our first, 1st overall selection since the original six era. There is no equal value trade here. For us to move, it’s going to be a haul that any neutral fan will see and be like, “wow, I can’t believe team X made such an offer.”

Just thought I should give the NYR perspective on any potential move because I really think the price it would take would not be in the Senators’ best interest.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Best offer I give for 1 is:

3rd Overall
NYI 2020 1st
OTT 2020 2nd
Alex Formenton (could switch to Shane Pinto, Logan Brown or another similar level prospect)
Chris Tierney

2 1sts. A B+ level prospect and a middle 6 center to play behind Zibby. Plus they get to draft Byfield or Stutzle.

We stick at 5 and take Rossi or Perfetti (whoever they see as the best Centerman available.) And obviously Laf at 1.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
And again, that’s an offer that probably not close enough to even get the Rangers to think about moving the selection. The price would be so high, it wouldn’t be in the best interests of the Senators long-term. If I’m PD, I just stick with what I have, and specifically nail picks 3/5, and maybe try to move up a bit in the draft with the NYI 1st.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
To be honest, I wouldn't trade #1 for #3 and #5 if I was the Rangers.

Lafreniere is the most NHL-ready forward prospect since Matthews. I think he's going to walk into NYR's top 6 as a PPG player from day one. It is an insane luxury for the Rangers to have him for 3 years on a ELC while they have Panarin and Zibanejad in their primes. Byfield/Stutzle and Drysdale/Sanderson might provide better long-term value, but I don't think they're going to have nearly the same impact on their rookie contracts. In a cap world, you have to strike while the iron is hot.

Conversely, the Sens' iron is so cold that it probably makes more sense to bank on the better long-term value.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I m shy to read proposals we make to Rangers fan. No trade that involved the 5 oa gonna be happen , if you not put Tkachuk or Chabot in

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I don’t understand people here. You want Melnyk go. You have to trade for Laf and now the group of Desmarais gonna make a bigger offer for buy the team

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
To be honest, I wouldn't trade #1 for #3 and #5 if I was the Rangers.

Lafreniere is the most NHL-ready forward prospect since Matthews. I think he's going to walk into NYR's top 6 as a PPG player from day one. It is an insane luxury for the Rangers to have him for 3 years on a ELC while they have Panarin and Zibanejad in their primes. Byfield/Stutzle and Drysdale/Sanderson might provide better long-term value, but I don't think they're going to have nearly the same impact on their rookie contracts. In a cap world, you have to strike while the iron is hot.

Conversely, the Sens' iron is so cold that it probably makes more sense to bank on the better long-term value.
This might be a scary thing to hear, but I genuinely don’t think the Rangers would move the pick for 3 and 5. It would cost more, and yes, we’re talking about THAT large of an overpayment. There’s a reason 1st overall picks don’t get moved in the salary cap era.

Reactions: GCK

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No way we get a bargain of any kind on 1OA.

KEEP 3 and 5 and be happy ... that is so good.

Isles pick keep looking like its slipping further down.

Bob's rankings 25 -35... I prefer the bolded ... There will be some shuffling in here
Barron
Bourque
Wallinder
Gunler

Foerster
Brisson
Neighbours
---------------
Grans
Poirier
Mysak
Khusnutdinov

----------------------
Given the Choice here at 25-32 I would take Gunler , Bourque, Barron/Wallinder in that order
at 33 .. I would probably go Grans dues to need and scarcity if Barron came off but I like him less than the bolded players.

I like Wallinder's potential .. raw but really good size and excellent skater. If we miss on him I would take Jurmo mid 2nd I/A.

EDIT -- If the Isles win their round we likely still pick in that 22-27 range
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)

Last edited:
Reactions: operasen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn't make any deal for the 1st OA because I think Byfield would be more important & valuable to Ottawa than Lafreniere over the long term. This is not to say that Lafreniere doesn't deserve to be the first OA, he does, I'm just glad we didn't win that spot. I would have preferred that Ottawa won the 2nd OA to assure we would draft Byfield who I think will be the key to making Ottawa a contender in future.

I also think it's a huge overpayment when two of the top 5 players will be a much better haul than just one. And who are we marketing too? The Ottawa/Gatineau/Outaouais francophone community is not going to all of a sudden & in mass leave their support for the stinking Habs & start supporting the Sens, that is not going to happen. It could be argued that Chabot has become as important a player as to what Lafreniere could become & the Hab fans haven't left their team to come & see him. Those that supported Pageau probably won't stay with the Sens.

It makes no sense to trade a huge bundle for this guy to attract fans that won't come here regardless of how many French players we have. How many Sens fans who loved EK or Stone or even Alfie left the Sens for the clubs they got traded too or left because some team drafted a player they love? It's a hopeless marketing pipe dream IMO.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I personally wouldn’t mind 3 and 5 for 1st

I think laf is a franchise altering type player also I think the French Canadian aspect goes a long way in a market like ours and also the hype involved. he is the type of player that you build around super skilled and always motivated

I think I personally still prefer drafting 3 and 5 but I wouldNt be upset if a deal happened

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I personally wouldn’t mind 3 and 5 for 1st

I think laf is a franchise altering type player also I think the French Canadian aspect goes a long way in a market like ours and also the hype involved. he is the type of player that you build around super skilled and always motivated

I think I personally still prefer drafting 3 and 5 but I wouldNt be upset if a deal happened
Don't you think giving up #3 & #5 for the 1st OA is a huge overpayment given that Stutzle could end up to be almost as good as Laf & we would still have the 5th OA to pick another great player? All three top 3 prospects could be franchise altering players, in fact, there are a lot of people on here who think the top 7 players could be franchise altering depending on who you talk to.

IMO this French Canadian hype is over blown, I don't know how many francophones would leave their allegiants to the Habs to cheer for the Sens because Ottawa drafted Lafreniere. How many Hab fans are now Sens fans because we drafted Chabot? I don't think it works like that.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Don't you think giving up #3 & #5 for the 1st OA is a huge overpayment given that Stutzle could end up to be almost as good as Laf & we would still have the 5th OA to pick another great player? All three top 3 prospects could be franchise altering players, in fact, there are a lot of people on here who think the top 7 players could be franchise altering depending on who you talk to.

IMO this French Canadian hype is over blown, I don't know how many francophones would leave their allegiants to the Habs to cheer for the Sens because Ottawa drafted Lafreniere. How many Hab fans are now Sens fans because we drafted Chabot? I don't think it works like that.
Stuztle ‘could’ end up as good as laf but I don’t think it’s likely

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Agree. Keep our picks. IF there was a Killorn type of deal around NYI 1st I’d think about it. But keep the 3, 5.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

-Id say 4th at best, but both teams likely say no. NYR laugh if thats your offer for the 1st.

-Might move us up 3-5 spots, maybe more i dunno.. While the Sens seem to be low on Brown atm, they still probably know thats a bad trade for them (unless they have someone super high that slips)

considering BOTH Thomson, Brown, 5th overall, and NYR are still laughing? No way. I’d say it’s in the ballpark, that’s 3 1sts. But yeah I get it, the two prospects don’t seem like blue chippers at this time so no sense in doing it.

Depending on who they’re drafting at 3 and 5, I definitely hope the sens try to package up some pieces all with the NYI 1st and either move up to nab someone they really like or trade for a formidable roster player (like Sergachev or something). I think those playoffs are showing the true worth of a Jake Sanderson (see Seth Jones)

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
considering BOTH Thomson, Brown, 5th overall, and NYR are still laughing? No way. I’d say it’s in the ballpark, that’s 3 1sts. But yeah I get it, the two prospects don’t seem like blue chippers at this time so no sense in doing it.

Depending on who they’re drafting at 3 and 5, I definitely hope the sens try to package up some pieces all with the NYI 1st and either move up to nab someone they really like or trade for a formidable roster player (like Sergachev or something). I think those playoffs are showing the true worth of a Jake Sanderson (see Seth Jones)
There is NO potential trade that doesn't involve 3 and 5, it's foolish to think otherwise. And again, even if you offered both picks, I seriously believe the Rangers would ask for more. That's how much it would take for us to pass on Laf from the Rangers end. There's a reason 1st overall picks don't move in the salary cap era, yet alone in a draft when there is a clear cut number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad