NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think Logan Brown is currently on track to be a #1C. Sens need help down the middle imo

I'm going to agree & disagree at the same time. Looking at all the centres in Ottawa's org IMO he has the skillset to be the #1 centre & maybe Norris could challenge him for that spot, but I doubt anyone else in the org can.

However, I do agree that the Sens need help down the middle which is why I'm all in on Byfield who IMO could be the #1 centre down the road after a few yrs in the NHL. It's also why I think that if they lose out on Byfield I'd draft Lundell who is a good sized two way centre to play with Stutzle. Not flashy but solid & if we add Pytlik at 33 they have a complete line with skill, size & good defensive play.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Norris should project as one as well based on his rookie AHL season
I'm sure you have read as many posts on Norris as I have & most here were talking 2nd or 3rd line centre potential. However, I have always thought that he would be a good 2nd line centre who could challenge or replace the top line centre when injured. And in fact, I think it's just a matter of time before he passes White on the depth chart at centre possibly within the next yr or so. And you're right he could be even better than we thought & continue to improve & pass everyone else on the depth chart, he does seem to have that "it" quality about him.

L. Brown is a different story because we all know he has the skillset & size to be a good top line centre especially with some of the forwards Ottawa has, but it's between the ears with that guy & who knows how that will pan out. If the desire or determination aren't there, well, you can't teach that, you either have it or you don't.

Reactions: TheDebater

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
L. Brown is a different story because we all know he has the skillset & size to be a good top line centre especially with some of the forwards Ottawa has, but it's between the ears with that guy & who knows how that will pan out. If the desire or determination aren't there, well, you can't teach that, you either have it or you don't.
Pretty sure it's conditioning. His hockey IQ is there, but he just burns out quickly during his shifts.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Laf was CHL player of the year last year as well against ALL players regardless of age. He is automatic.

Age should be considered when evaluating prospects though. Chances are pretty good Shane Wright will end up being better than any of the guys in the CHL this year.

otown

Sep 4, 2009

This year Brown has to be given an opportunity with solid linemates so both parties will know for sure whether or not he is going to be part of the organization. I'm sure Brown is getting frustrated after being in the organization for 4 years and has had limited opportunities. This is a guy who has always been one of the best players on any team he has played for.
The mental adjustment from that alone will test him going forward.
He needs playing time!
After 30-40 games you'll know if he is the player you expected when you moved up to draft him!

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I remember a few yrs back listening to a broadcast where someone was talking about the stats on hits on the board. I think it was for the home team being so much higher than the other team, but clearly the other team had more hits. You can't even trust the stats sometimes because home town people taking the stats can be bias. Same for shots on net, faceoffs because sometimes it's discretionary where you can't really tell who wins it, they always give it to the home team etc.... hahaha

I'm the opposite, oh contraire.

Why do you want someone at 5 that will provide very little offense?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Why do you want someone at 5 that will provide very little offense?

tenor.gif

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I wouldn't do 3 + 5 for 1

But I would consider something like 5 + NYI 1st + L. Brown for 1.

I don't know if NYR bites on that though.

We could be looking at something like this in about 5 years:
Lafreniere-Byfield/Stutzle-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Formenton
Paul-White-Brown
x-Pinto-x

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Laf was CHL player of the year last year as well against ALL players regardless of age. He is automatic.

That was mostly reputation based. He was 9th in CHL scoring. Jason Robertson should have been MVP that year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lafreniere will have the most value to a team like the Rangers that has cap issues and is looking to take the next step right away.

A top line/top 6 forward making less than 1M for the next 3 seasons is worth gold to a team like that.

Even with Panarin and Kreider, I can't see them dealing the #1 pick for anything less than 3+5, which would be very stupid for Dorion to offer.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Doubt very much you can get 1st OA and keep 3rd.

I’d trade the 3rd + Isles pick + another piece for #1

Take Lafreniere and Rossi

Lafreniere Rossi Formenton
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Brown Brown Duclair
White Paul Dude

Next year we’ll suck enough to pick up another high end Dman

Chabot JBD
2021 Brannstrom

Thats a hell of a team that no one will want to play in a few years. Our team is already a drag to play against.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I’d trade the 3rd + Isles pick + another piece for #1

Take Lafreniere and Rossi

Lafreniere Rossi Formenton
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Brown Brown Duclair
White Paul Dude

Next year we’ll suck enough to pick up another high end Dman

Chabot JBD
2021 Brannstrom

Thats a hell of a team that no one will want to play in a few years. Our team is already a drag to play against.
It would look a lot better with a different 1C

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, who knows who is the better player down the road?

Why pay 3x value if you don’t even know who will be better ? Not to mention how much better. Draft LAF - he will make a nice 2LW for the next few years when Breadman and Zibby are rolling.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Who would you pick if you had those picks? I imagine there would be a wide range of different choices on here for those picks too.

I'd take Byfield at #1 as an example where most would take Lafreniere because I think a #1 centre is much more important to a team than a forward & Ottawa already has a lot of good young forwards in their org. At 12 I'd take Askarov because IMO he is a potential franchise goalie, at 22 I'd pick Guhle or move up to get him if I had to because IMO Ottawa needs to improve their defence. At 33 I'd take Pytlik because he seems to be a pretty good playmaker for a guy his size & Ottawa could use another good puck distributor. 1st rd - Byfield, Askarov, Guhle & Pytlik. Your turn.

L. Brown projects to be a #1 centre, but there are a lot of questions around his ability to bring it night after night, although he certainly has the skillset to be that guy.

I like Guhle but I’m not as high on Ask as you are. If I didn’t want LAF I wouldn’t make the trade period. Personally I think Byfield is really really close to LAF and possibly the better 23 year old NHL player.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Its pretty rate for a guy who is consistantly ranked 1st OA across ISS, central scouting, and Bob's scouts poll to not end up going 1st OA, IDK if it has ever happened actually.

Never say never, but there seems to be a pretty strong consensus out there.

I agree - but scouts could be 55% sure Laf is the better player and 45% sure Byfield may be the better player. When they vote it looks like 95% in favour of LAF but that may not be accurate.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

He deserves CHL player of the year. It doesn’t mean he will be the best 21.0 year old NHL hockey player. His closest challenger for the award was almost a year younger than him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He deserves CHL player of the year. It doesn’t mean he will be the best 21.0 year old NHL hockey player. His closest challenger for the award was almost a year younger than him.
He won it last year as well. The other finalists were Rossi and Beckham who is 19. So who is he older than ?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Byfield - CHL player of the year does not equal the top prospect list. Rossi deserves that too but I don’t want him ahead of QB.... thats cause they know overeagers have their way with the CHL.

Yes.... I mean late Sept-Dec 2001’s kids are overagers compared to their 2002’s draft class.

Last edited:

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Why pay 3x value if you don’t even know who will be better ? Not to mention how much better. Draft LAF - he will make a nice 2LW for the next few years when Breadman and Zibby are rolling.
I mean we can take educated guesses but I’m not the one begging to move the pick. I’m just saying it would require a video game type offer for us to pass on Laf. If I’m you guys, I just stay where you are. Take what’s left of Byfield/Stutz and have your pick of the litter in tier 3 of prospects at 5, which are still really, really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad