NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I dont see how this guy isnt a top pairing guy. Hes the next great offensive dman we've seen recently like Makar, Hughes etc. Maybe he won't be as elite as those two or as productive as quickly as those two, but I do think he has top pair potential.

Reactions: NB613 and Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If the Isles win their play-in series and the pick ends up being in the 20-30 range, I bet we'll see it moved for Kapanen.

Young top 9 forward previously coached by DJ with a front-loaded deal. Unfortunate cap casualty for Toronto that they deal to gain cap space and replace the 1st they gave up to get rid of Marleau.
Big time over pay. Kapanen regressed this year. I’d do Isles pick in the 20+ range plus Brann or Lassi for Nylander if TO would bite.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m not French but I live in Ottawa. I’ll not sit this one out, thanks. I’ll post what I’m thinking.

Pretty sure the vast majority on this board said it doesn’t matter what happens on the ice because of our owner. Define “boost attendance numbers”. I doubt Lafreniere would have a huge impact on season tickets.

also he wouldn’t do anything to boost tickets in Montreal. They have no problems with that.

I think your really off the mark here. A bunch of English guys who hide behind the terrible owner as the excuse to save a few bucks telling the French community what they like ? Come on... Laf in MTL would be a blast for the franchise.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Who do you reckon we take with our 18 second round picks?
It is difficult to tell which players go in the 2nd round. Some of the prospects that I think the Sens take a serious look at are:
Marat Khusnutdinov, Jake Neighbours, Ozzy Wiesblatt, Carter Savoie, Jacob Perreault, Will Cuylle, Luke Tuch, Jaromir Pytlik, Dylan Peterson, Thomas Bordeleau, William Villeneuve, Tyler Kleven, Ryan O'Rourke, Eamon Powell, Alexander Niishin.

I could also see them taking a few prospects that could be ranked later such as Egor Sokolov, Dmitri Rashevsky, Blake Biondi, Grant Slukynsky and Maxim Beryozkin.

Some of those players will fall to the 3rd round and a some may even fall further than that. With 4 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks I think there is a pretty good group of prospects here. There might be some other prospects that other posters will advocate for but I think this is a good start. There is also a smaller chance that they gamble on a few picks and consider prospects like Antonio Stranges and Dmitri Ovchinnikov.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Melnyk isnt paying Nylander's contract

If Toronto pays his bonus, he will only make 2.5M in the upcoming season, and then 6M per each season after that.

The big hitch would be that he would have 3.5M in signing bonuses each season. We acquired Zaitsev who still had two 2M signing bonuses left, so while I'm not sure, I think it is possible we'd be okay with the signing bonuses in the context of the situation.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think your really off the mark here. A bunch of English guys who hide behind the terrible owner as the excuse to save a few bucks telling the French community what they like ? Come on... Laf in MTL would be a blast for the franchise.
I Didn’t say anything to that effect. I said it’s hard to boost ticket sales when they’re already perfect in Montreal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It is difficult to tell which players go in the 2nd round. Some of the prospects that I think the Sens take a serious look at are:
Marat Khusnutdinov, Jake Neighbours, Ozzy Wiesblatt, Carter Savoie, Jacob Perreault, Will Cuylle, Luke Tuch, Jaromir Pytlik, Dylan Peterson, Thomas Bordeleau, William Villeneuve, Tyler Kleven, Ryan O'Rourke, Eamon Powell, Alexander Niishin.

I could also see them taking a few prospects that could be ranked later such as Egor Sokolov, Dmitri Rashevsky, Blake Biondi, Grant Slukynsky and Maxim Beryozkin.

Some of those players will fall to the 3rd round and a some may even fall further than that. With 4 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks I think there is a pretty good group of prospects here. There might be some other prospects that other posters will advocate for but I think this is a good start. There is also a smaller chance that they gamble on a few picks and consider prospects like Antonio Stranges and Dmitri Ovchinnikov.
Depending on what they do in the 1st rd there will be lots of options in the 2nd & 3rd rd to add another 4 to 6 good prospects including a 3rd pairing defensive tandem, if they want.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Like Evangelista seems like a for sure Sens pick around 45.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Depending on what they do in the 1st rd there will be lots of options in the 2nd & 3rd rd to add another 4 to 6 good prospects including a 3rd pairing defensive tandem, if they want.
Yeah. I also am confident that we can draft some solid prospects with our remaining picks in rounds 4 to 6. Some of those players I listed before might be available then but I also have a list of other prospects for those rounds that I am high on. A few of them are more project picks but overall I like their potential.

Reactions: aragorn

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I dont see how this guy isnt a top pairing guy. Hes the next great offensive dman we've seen recently like Makar, Hughes etc. Maybe he won't be as elite as those two or as productive as quickly as those two, but I do think he has top pair potential.

Its really yet to be seen what Makar and Hughes are exactly but I feel his offensive upside isn’t near them, and I’m not sure he is a guy that will log big minutes in the NHL. I think an upside similar to Ryan Ellis is more realistic personally. Which is by no means bad.

Reactions: Sens in Process

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Its really yet to be seen what Makar and Hughes are exactly but I feel his offensive upside isn’t near them, and I’m not sure he is a guy that will log big minutes in the NHL. I think an upside similar to Ryan Ellis is more realistic personally. Which is by no means bad.

He is a much better skater than Ellis though.

Reactions: NB613

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's more of a defenseman in the Heiskanen-mold. A very smooth skating smallish D (5'11-6'1 range) that is extremely poised and really good at both ends of the ice.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

But during their D-1 years would anyone have thought that Makar and Hughes would become what they currently are?

Likely not since Makar was picked at 4 after Nolan Patrick and Nico Hishier

And Hughes was picked at 7 after the likes of Kotkianemi, Hayton and Zadina.

It's about projection, and for me Drysdale absolutely has the the potential to follow a similar path as those two with the skills that he possesses.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Pass on Drysdale, at least not if Raymond is still on board.

Byfield + Raymond is almost too good to be true, but if its possible, we must do it. This gives us the elite skill that we need up front to play with the big dogs of the league.

It also allows us to slot the rest of the great forwards that we have coming up into the lineup properly (no miscast roles). You rarely get the chance to find this kind of elite skill outside the of the top of the draft in forwards, and Dmen are a lot harder to read at this age then forwards. The best ones are usually taken outside of the top 10, aside from a few notables.

Yes - ill admit D then becomes the major focus for us. But Im not ready to write off any of Branstrom, JBD, Thompson or Wolanin as top 4 Dmen yet. And we can always try to make a trade, or just focus on the 2021 draft, which seems to be loaded with good ones.

So while I dont think Drysdale is someone to easily pass on, if Raymond is there hes not only the BPA, but he fits like a glove for this organization at this moment.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I find it hard to believe that so many think that LA will pass on Byfield, I don't see it myself. In fact, I don't think it will come down to Byfield or Stutzle for LA, but Byfield or Drysdale & I think they will take the big centre, although I hope not.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would like to see at who I answer this. I think the guys ask who you pick with the 2 oa

So it is your opinion that the Senators will draft Stutzle with the 3rd pick.

I am hoping for Byfield with the 3rd pick as he is bigger, had a great year, and appears poised to do even better in his next year in junior.

I like Stutzle too but a little less than Byfield. Would love to get both.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He is a much better skater than Ellis though.

Sure that doesn’t automatically mean his upside is greater. Ellis to this point had a much better junior career, I’m not going to suggest that means Drysdale will be lesser. I personally just see him more of a #3 D the way Ellis is.

But during their D-1 years would anyone have thought that Makar and Hughes would become what they currently are?

Likely not since Makar was picked at 4 after Nolan Patrick and Nico Hishier

And Hughes was picked at 7 after the likes of Kotkianemi, Hayton and Zadina.

It's about projection, and for me Drysdale absolutely has the the potential to follow a similar path as those two with the skills that he possesses.

I think some would have though, there were many that had their doubts about those two but I also don’t think drysdale has shown the same level of offensive talent as those two did at the same point. That’s a big projection and I believe it’s more likely than not he doesn’t reach that level. That’s just me, I still like the player and wouldn’t mind at all if the Sens drafted him. I just feel the expectations are being set too high.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sure that doesn’t automatically mean his upside is greater. Ellis to this point had a much better junior career, I’m not going to suggest that means Drysdale will be lesser. I personally just see him more of a #3 D the way Ellis is.

I think some would have though, there were many that had their doubts about those two but I also don’t think drysdale has shown the same level of offensive talent as those two did at the same point. That’s a big projection and I believe it’s more likely than not he doesn’t reach that level. That’s just me, I still like the player and wouldn’t mind at all if the Sens drafted him. I just feel the expectations are being set too high.

The one thing Ill caution when using Ellis as an example in junior is that he put up massive numbers on stacked Windsor teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia