NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One thing I really like about Rossi is his perceived competitiveness.

Yes, he's undersized, and you can get frightening "Turris" vibes from him where he can be edged out of the dangerous areas if his skating slows or doesn't improve.

But on the other hand, you look at a guy like Gallagher and what he's able to do. And you look at a team like the Maple Leafs who have a ton of talent but may be lacking in the heart department.

Playoffs is all about the mental capacity to battle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Garrioch seems convinced that we will use the Isles pick to trade for an NHL ready body.

What a f***ing waste. Why? WHY?

I get that the pick is valuable because of the depth of the draft, but we aren't going anywhere any time soon.

We pick up a guy so that we have to pay him buckets of money by the time his contract is up and we actually are competitive?

Why did we trade Stone then? Bizarre.

It's like he doesn't know if we're in a rebuild or not.

Reactions: NB613 and guyzeur

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

I get that the pick is valuable because of the depth of the draft, but we aren't going anywhere any time soon.

We pick up a guy so that we have to pay him buckets of money by the time his contract is up and we actually are competitive?

Maybe they are expecting the Isles to pick in the 20s, and not a top 13 pick. If they do end up with the 13th pick, then maybe it would be harder for them to trade it away.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With our luck.. the Islanders lose the play in and win the lottery with their 12.5% chance.
Anyway by some stroke of magic if they don't players I would like that could possibly be available in 13-15 are
I won't mention Quinn .. I would like him there but he likely goes earlier.. But since we are getting lucky what the heck.
1. Quinn RW
2. Amirov LW
3. Mercer RW
4. Gunler RW/LW
5. Jarvis RW

If the Sens go 2 F 3/5 , I could be talked into Guhle there .. but there is a definite trade off.
Obviously is got to be about who does or doesn't drop into that spot.

Trading up into the 10-15 range would be huge ... 2 top 5 , 2 10-15 would set us up real nice.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
For people worried about Lundell's offense.

Lundell averaged 14:23 of ice-time over 38 games — the highest among HIFK’s four rookies — and an incredible 19 points and 2.79 shots-per-game. He was one of only two 2020 draft-eligible players to play any Liiga games at all that season — the other being Tappara’s Kasper Simontaival with five games — and one of only 70 players in Liiga history to suit up for any games at all in his draft-1 year. Among those 70, 31 played for 10 games or more, and Lundell’s 0.50 points-per-game mark is tied for third all-time — behind just Timo Jutila in 1980, Jesse Puljujarvi in 2014, and tied with Barkov in 2011.

• Lundell averaged 15:49 a game — starting as HIFK’s third-line centre but ending the year as their second-line centre despite missing six weeks due to injury.
  • He improved his point totals to 0.64 points-per-game. That’s miles ahead of the eight other draft-eligible skaters in Liiga this year, and ranks 12th all-time, ahead of names like Puljujarvi, Rantanen, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Sebastian Aho, and Joel Armia. Remember: Puljujarvi and Kotkaniemi are top-five picks this decade, and we’re talking about Lundell being ranked between 6th and 14th for this year’s draft among players mentioned in Colin’s consensus rankings database.
  • He ranked.... SECOND league-wide (among men!!!) in CF%, with 61.9%.
  • He also managed to up his shots/60 totals to be ranked 22nd in the league in that metric.

2020 NHL Draft Profile: Anton Lundell

Link has more info about Lundell. I suggest everyone to read it.

He would be a steal with the Isles pick.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

The Islanders pick isn’t going to bring back a player who you would have to pay buckets of money.

the Sens should be doing whatever it takes to become playoff contenders right away IMO. The sucking should be over.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
the Sens should be doing whatever it takes to become playoff contenders right away IMO. The sucking should be over.

Why?

Most of our really good talent is years away from competing at a high level.

This season was a good example of players playing to win and not doing so. It worked out because they got experience and gelled as a team and we ended up with a good draft pick.

Trading to get closer to the playoffs and still miss doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Much much better teams failed to make the playoffs last year. I don't know who we could possibly leapfrog through the acquisition of some player for a mid-late Islanders 1st round pick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why?

This season was a good example of players playing to win and not doing so. It worked out because they got experience and gelled as a team and we ended up with a good draft pick.

Trading to get closer to the playoffs and still miss doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Much much better teams failed to make the playoffs last year. I don't know who we could possibly leapfrog through the acquisition of some player for a mid-late Islanders 1st round pick.

Agreed ... nothing suggests we are close to being a top 10 team in the conference. If they can get real value for that pick.. a young player like Sergachev great but otherwise .. We bottomed out.. lets be patient, collect the best young assets we can , develop them and move on. There are no quick fixes when you decide to shed your entire team of talent and your best player is 21 and the rest are a collection of kids trying to make it and placeholders.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why?

It wouldn’t be just that player (if they made that trade) it would also be whoever we pick 3 and maybe even 5, and free agency. I don’t expect the Sens to make the playoffs but they should be building to be a bubble team especially given the long layoff coming. If you can get a long term good player with that isles pick then it would make sense IMO.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I guess it really depends on what that kind of player is.

I'd be on board if he was really young with big upside but I'm not sure why a team would trade someone like that at this point.
Not that it worked out but you could also trade the pick for a prospect that is close like they did with Rundblad

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Haha that made me think of Django Unchained. You're not going to sell your best, or your second best, but your third best, at the right price...

Of course I'm not looking to trade Logan Brown, but if we're in trade negotiations for Sergachev, and Brisebois goes "well of course you're not going to trade Norris or Batherson, but..." and where do we go from there. Personally I like Brown better than Formenton or Pinto, but I'd be willing to include any of them in a package for Sergachev or Ekblad. And that's just what I was getting at, it all depends on how other GMs value Brown relative to some of our other prospects.

The fans saying "we should absolutely not trade Brown under any circumstances because consider his upside"... I mean, dunno. Sure there is always a chance you get burned and he's an all-star, but in my opinion adding an established young star like Sergachev would be so crucial to this organization, we should be looking to do whatever it takes within reason, and if Logan Brown is the piece Tampa needs then I'm all in.
I think I would list Formenton over Brown as far as pieces I would be hesitant to move. I feel Forms can score 20 goals, kill penalties and be an agitating speedster while I feel Brown will continue to leave us wanting.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Unless its used for a package that gets players such as Sergachev, Cirelli, Monahan, Gaudreau type of players. Legitimate top 6 talent, top 2 talent, then I am not interested in trading that pick.

Please stop targeting 3rd liners where they maybe or maybe not can be a top 6 player ie Chris Tierney/ Alex Chiasson/ Burrows/ Boedker like players, just because they fit your criteria of just being an 'NHL body'.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think I would list Formenton over Brown as far as pieces I would be hesitant to move. I feel Forms can score 20 goals, kill penalties and be an agitating speedster while I feel Brown will continue to leave us wanting.

I have Formenton in that kind of Vermette category of being an important player going forward - regardless of whether he's in the top six or not.

Reactions: NB613 and HzH

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I have zero issue with trading the Isles pick in a package for a young player who is a casualty of the cap.

It’s the smartest thing to do imo.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

well lets see what the player is first. perhaps.... nylander?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mccgagg gave his first five pick mock. Hes is a Habs homer but i find hes generally well connected and i bet he has a certain feel about which players a team loves.

1. Laf
2. Kings- Stutzle
3-The Good Guys-Byfield
4- Wings- Sanderson
5-The Good Guys - Drysdale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mccgagg gave his first five pick mock. Hes is a Habs homer but i find hes generally well connected and i bet he has a certain feel about which players a team loves.

1. Laf
2. Kings- Stutzle
3-The Good Guys-Byfield
4- Wings- Sanderson
5-The Good Guys - Drysdale

This would shock me, personally.

But he's really rocketed up recently in evaluations.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How many assets in addition to the Islanders pick would be required?

Plus, Nylander is the one player on the Leafs who probably isn't being overpaid.
i dont know i was really just picking a pkayer who would be appropriate in trading.. a guy who maybe a team is falling out of love with, a team close to the cap. him or sergachev. you gotta think we inquire about sergachev. and that would allow us to take two forewards in the top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad