NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Could the lower SH% be due to the higher shot total. What I mean by that is perhaps he is shooting more from lower percentage areas ? Just a thought.
Yeah that could be the case. I just thought it was interesting that his SH% was meaningfully lower than his last two seasons and his last two playoffs. It could also be that teams are really trying to defend against him so he may have fewer quality scoring opportunities which could force him to either pass or shoot from a low percentage spot.

Sensenmann

Mar 15, 2006
its funny you say that as Scott Wheeler has an article out on the athletic talking abt the top 60 picks and specifically discusses this perception of Holtz who he has ranked 4th
Wheeler: Midseason ranking for the 2020 NHL Draft's top 62...
4. Alexander Holtz — RW/LW, Djurgårdens IF, 6-foot

I think there can be a little bit too much made of Holtz’s ability to shoot and score. There has developed this narrative around his skill set that he’s a pure scorer, or that he may need his linemates to get him the puck. In the process, I think there are other elements of his game that don’t get enough love. He likes to spot-up on the power play and pound his one-timer, for sure, and he’s a catch-and-release shooter inside the offensive zone at even-strength. But he also plays on the inside, he’s got a net-driven attack mentality to offense and he’s comfortable hanging onto the puck and making a play as a passer. There are also times when he knows a defender is likely to overcorrect to him and he’ll hang onto the puck that extra second to force them to reach in on him and draw a penalty as they try to prevent him from getting his shot off. He has also improved his skating mechanics from a standstill, which has helped create more rush chances for himself. Watch how he bursts to the loose puck here before making the right decision when faced with three options (shoot, pass cross-crease or find the trailer): clip not included here.

In addition:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I've been very high on Rossi. I also got the sense that he's obsessed with becoming an NHL player, and I love that. But then again, I wanted the Sens to pick Zadina, so I'm pretty much a clown.
There were a lot of people that were very high on Zadina. There is no reason to beat yourself up over it. It is a really good sign that Rossi seems to have the attitude that he is willing to do whatever it takes to improve and to make it to the NHL. With that said, I am still not sure where the best place to rank him is and which top ten prospects he is clearly better than. Fortunately the scouts sill be doing their due diligence in that regard.

Reactions: Alex1234

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Grant McCagg just on 1200. Talking about the top 10 on Recrutes,
RANKPLAYER
1Alexis Lafreniere
2Tim Stutzle
3Jamie Drysdale
4Quinton Byfield
5Marco Rossi
6Lucas Raymond
7Cole Perfetti
8Alex Holtz
9Jake Sanderson
10Yaroslav Askarov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

That's impressive. Quotes like that make me think he'll be able to work out any deficiencies in his game.

If he can continue to improve his skating and agility, as well as the power on his shot, he could be a high-end producer.

I've been very high on Rossi. I also got the sense that he's obsessed with becoming an NHL player, and I love that. But then again, I wanted the Sens to pick Zadina, so I'm pretty much a clown.

Why would you be a clown for wanting Zadina? He wasn't my favorite at 4th OVR, but he was arguably the consensus pick at that spot.

It's not like he's struggling this year either. Kid has 8G, 15P in 28GP on an incredibly awful Red Wings team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've liked Byfield & Askarov from the very beginning & I'm still all in with those two, I think Byfield is going to be a dominating force in a few yrs in the NHL. The 2nd rd should also be very interesting along with the 3rd rd.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
the more i read about/watch Rossi the more he reminds me of Daniel Alfredsson.
Good point

He’s an unreal player and really stands out. A lot of the posters here discredit him right away cause of the myth about his skating and his small stature.. he’s a beast I’ve watched the 67s several times this year and last and I’m telling you he’s going to be a stud

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
my only argument against holtz is that (and renember, limited viewings, seen isolation videos and reports and WJC) is that Holtz looks like he has a specialty. hes a scorer. complimentary. we are not "one piece away" we dont need "missing pieces" we need " THEE piece" someone who can dominate a shift, make the people around them better. Holtz and Drysdale may be the two im not crazy about although I wouldn't be disappointed with Drysdale I really think we need two dominant forwards in this first round. 2 guys that can make our top 6 tick for the next ten years.

its funny you say that as Scott Wheeler has an article out on the athletic talking abt the top 60 picks and specifically discusses this perception of Holtz who he has ranked 4th
Wheeler: Midseason ranking for the 2020 NHL Draft's top 62...
4. Alexander Holtz — RW/LW, Djurgårdens IF, 6-foot

I think there can be a little bit too much made of Holtz’s ability to shoot and score. There has developed this narrative around his skill set that he’s a pure scorer, or that he may need his linemates to get him the puck. In the process, I think there are other elements of his game that don’t get enough love. He likes to spot-up on the power play and pound his one-timer, for sure, and he’s a catch-and-release shooter inside the offensive zone at even-strength. But he also plays on the inside, he’s got a net-driven attack mentality to offense and he’s comfortable hanging onto the puck and making a play as a passer. There are also times when he knows a defender is likely to overcorrect to him and he’ll hang onto the puck that extra second to force them to reach in on him and draw a penalty as they try to prevent him from getting his shot off. He has also improved his skating mechanics from a standstill, which has helped create more rush chances for himself. Watch how he bursts to the loose puck here before making the right decision when faced with three options (shoot, pass cross-crease or find the trailer): clip not included here.

My two cents on this: I'd say both positions are valid, as long as not pushed too far.

There's no question that Holtz is at his best offensively away from the puck, and he seems to be understanding that much better now as a pro. And he's not going to be a "line driver" in the NHL. But he's a much more complete offensive player than most fans seem to give him credit for. Playmaking can happen as much off the puck as it does on the puck: reading teammates, anticipating the play, skating good routes, and Holtz does these things exceptionally well.

He puts himself in scoring positions as effectively as anyone in the draft. What sets him apart is his timing and anticipation; the high slot is his office, and he's not looking for soft spots at every opportunity, but hiding himself and waiting for the play to develop and then slipping into an area just in time to receive the pass in stride moving toward the net. It doesn't take a playmaking genius to set him up, he makes it easy for his linemates. Regardless who he plays with, he's going to score goals. But I do think he'll need an elite playmaker in order to put up elite numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondercarrot

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010

Jesus this kid looks like something. I remember being impressed with his game as an underage at the U18s last spring, but didn't think too much of him as an NHL prospect at the time because of the size. He didn't get a lot of playing time at the WJAC (U19); size and strength was clearly the issue there against older players on North American ice. No wonder he hasn't played KHL yet. The problem is not just that he's 5'9, it looks like he has a bit of a slight frame as well.

But all this video Rafi posted of him has me rethinking my position. He has shades of Pavel Datsyuk - an incredibly smart, tenacious and talented defensive forward who always leans toward the responsible play, but shows flashes of elite skills when appropriate.

On a related note, Rodion Amirov's hat trick this morning moves him into first in p/g among u19s in MHL.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

FightLikeMike

May 16, 2010
On the topic of Askarov, I did a little digging on goalies in the first round and came up with this:

***1992 was chosen moreso for nostalgia than anything scientific.

Between 1992-2019, 47 goalies were taken in the 1st round. I cut the "bust line" at the 2013 draft since goalies in this draft or later are still in the developmental phase of their careers, including Hogberg. That left me with 44 goalies. Of those 44, I would argue that about 21 were busts while the remaining 23 carved out a decent career (i.e., Jocelyn Thibault or Martin Biron), a good career (i.e., Jean-Sebastien Giguere or Cam Ward) or were absolute heroes (i.e., Roberto Luongo or Carey Price).

During the same period, 5 goalies were picked T5 of which, two are suspect...Kari Lehtonen in 2002 and Rick Dipeitro in 2000. And when I mean suspect, I mean not in the same realm of the other top 5 picks (Fleury, Luongo, and Price). Dipeitro was an aberration as much due to the stuff that management and ownership were smoking on Long Island at the time, than with hype. Kari Lehtonen was and still is a solid and serviceable goalie. It would seem that a goalie who was deemed "good" enough to be a top 5 pick turned out pretty well...in some cases, really freaking well!

The one thing I didn't look up, and I think would be helpful in my analysis, is where those top 5 picked goalies were slated by ISS or TSN to go in their respective drafts. I assume that all of these top 5 picked goalies were all listed in the top 10 of ISS' and TSN's final draft rankings.

As Sens fans, I think that our distaste towards taking goalies in the first round is influenced largely by the Chouinard debacle as well as a bit from seeing those 21 busts noted above. I can't say for sure if those 21 were "reaches" in their draft year, but there does seem to be a lot of failures regardless. The other side of the aversion is the fact that a lot of people believe that choosing a goalie is a crapshoot and that, "you can pick up an all-star goalie (i.e., Nabokov, Hasek, Thomas, Lundquist, Miller, Turco, Kipper, etc) in the later rounds so why blow a 1RP?" mantra. I've heard this position for years now...probably about the time that people realized that Depeitro was a bust, and for the longest time i believed it. But I would argue that this could and should be changing. First, those old late round goalies mentioned above were all drafted in the time before smart phones and when most were still using dial up internet. There was a data imbalance in much the same way that Alfie was able to go so late without being selected. Back then, it seemed that you needed to know a guy in Sweden or Russia who was drinking buddies with a goalie coach in some remote area who had a lead on an awesome looking player. Today this data dis-symmetry is almost non-existent. You have youtube, a billion different scouting services, instagram/twitter, and even boards like this where data and videos are scrutinized on end. Teams are also more prudent in their analysis and scouting, looking at intangibles and Moneyball metrics/analytics.

While it's impossible to know if a 1st round goalie will be a sure thing, I would argue that it's becoming less of an issue as time passes. These days, if a goalie is ranked top ten in a draft, and in this year's case - a very deep draft, there's a strong sense that the kid's got something special.

This isn't a push to have the Sens draft Askarov, but just food for thought.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
lol clickbait Byfield at #4

I disagree. I'm starting to lose some faith in Byfield, as I think are a good number of people. Of course the upside is still tremendous, but there are some pretty special players at the top of this draft, and at a certain point just having potential isn't enough. Hlinkas, World Juniors, CHL prospects game, he's constantly being outshone within his age group.

For me Lucas Raymond is clearly the better prospect at this point, and I can easily see how someone would take Stützle over him. Not sure about Drysdale, but I've seen a number of rankings that have had either Raymond or Stützle ahead of Byfield, so him at 4th isn't all that out there.

Reactions: GCK

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I'm wondering if Dorian is stock piling picks to trade up back into the 1st round or high 2nd to take shots at higher skilled players. So far he has 12 picks this year. I doubt he will come out with 12 players with the amount of depth they already have in the prospect pool. I'm hoping one of the picks is Rossi. I've been high on him since the start of his first season with the 67's.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Here is a goal and an assist from Lincoln Hatten (OA2) in the NAHL top prospects tournament.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Here is a goal and an assist from Timofei Khokhlachev in the NAHL top prospects tournament.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The USHS-MN playoffs have officially begun. Here is how some of the notables performed this season:

Blake Biondi F 6' 181 lbs
25 GP 37 G 39 A 76 PTS

Grant Slukynsky F 6' 190 lbs
25 GP 30 G 45 A 75 PTS

Cole Hansen F 6'2 201 lbs
25 GP 24 G 34 A 58 PTS

Carsen Richels F 6'3 209 lbs
25 GP 27 G 25 A 52 PTS

This is how those notables are performing thus far in the playoffs:

Blake Biondi F 6' 181 lbs
1 GP 3 G 3 A 6 PTS

Grant Slukynsky F 6' 190 lbs