NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So one thing I'm thinking about is how many picks we have in the upcoming draft.

Eight picks in the first three rounds is absolutely bonkers, with even more potentially coming at the TDL. We literally won't have room in Belleville to develop these players in a couple seasons. We just had to move Veronneau because of this.

I'm curious if there's a plan to mitigate this problem. Maybe we start trading for 2021 or 2022 picks instead of 2020 picks at the TDL? Maybe we use some of the picks to trade up? Maybe we focus on drafting european players so they can develop over in Europe?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The USHS-MN playoffs have officially begun. Here is how some of the notables performed this season:

Blake Biondi F 6' 181 lbs
25 GP 37 G 39 A 76 PTS

Grant Slukynsky F 6' 190 lbs
25 GP 30 G 45 A 75 PTS

Cole Hansen F 6'2 201 lbs
25 GP 24 G 34 A 58 PTS

Carsen Richels F 6'3 209 lbs
25 GP 27 G 25 A 52 PTS

This is how those notables are performing thus far in the playoffs:

Blake Biondi F 6' 181 lbs
1 GP 3 G 3 A 6 PTS

Grant Slukynsky F 6' 190 lbs
1 GP 2 G 4 A 6 PTS

Cole Hansen F 6'2 201 lbs
1 GP 0 G 2 A 2 PTS

Carsen Richels F 6'3 209 lbs
1 GP 0 G 1 A 1 PTS

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Did you just compare Logan Brown to Curtis Lazar???

I get that he hasn't made much of an impact in the NHL yet, but we knew he was a long-term project. And we're not rushing. If we were a playoff team, he probably would have been in Ottawa all year. But we're doing the smart thing and focusing on development.

Rebuilding teams don't trade 21 year olds with that much potential. I'm pretty confident he'll hit 50 assists one day. Such a good passer with unreal vision. The skating will come, as it did with Stone. You can work on skating, but its hard to work on hockey IQ. Logan's got it.

Brown has more talent in his toenails than Lazar had, has, or ever will have.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
So one thing I'm thinking about is how many picks we have in the upcoming draft.

Eight picks in the first three rounds is absolutely bonkers, with even more potentially coming at the TDL. We literally won't have room in Belleville to develop these players in a couple seasons. We just had to move Veronneau because of this.

I'm curious if there's a plan to mitigate this problem. Maybe we start trading for 2021 or 2022 picks instead of 2020 picks at the TDL? Maybe we use some of the picks to trade up? Maybe we focus on drafting european players so they can develop over in Europe?

I think the plan would be to use some of those picks to move up and make sure the team grabs players they’re high on.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Here are some recent MHL games of a few draft eligible prospects:
Loko vs Sakhalinskie Akuly
Players to scout:
Loko (red and white):
  • Forward: Maxim Beryozkin (#72)
  • Forward: Danil Gutik (#38) OA1
Junior Hockey League - Sakhalinskie Akuly - Loko | 20 February, 2020, Thursday

SKA 1946 vs JHC Dynamo MSK
Players to scout:
SKA 1946 (blue):
  • Forward: Marat Khusnutdinov (#22)
  • Forward: Alexander Gordin (#78) OA1
JHC Dynamo MSK (white):
  • Forward: Bogdan Trineyev (#41)
Junior Hockey League - SKA-1946 - JHC Dynamo Msk | 20 February, 2020, Thursday

JHC Spartak vs HC Riga
Players to scout:
JHC Spartak (red):
  • Defenseman: Alexander Nikishin (#57)
Junior Hockey League - JHC Spartak - HC Riga | 10 February, 2020, Monday

Reactions: innocent bystander

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
From the latest Athletic rankings. Give me Rossi any day of the week.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Lafeniere - Rossi - Duclair
Formenton - Brown - White
Balcers/ Abramov- Chlapik - C. Brown
Paul

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Braanstrom
Zeitsev - Jaros

Hogberg
Nillson

Ya i read that article....pretty solid praise

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Rebuilding teams don't trade 21 year olds with that much potential. I'm pretty confident he'll hit 50 assists one day. Such a good passer with unreal vision. The skating will come, as it did with Stone. You can work on skating, but its hard to work on hockey IQ. Logan's got it.

But you can't work on heart. That's one of Stone's biggest strengths (along with IQ). Brown? Not so much.

Reactions: FightLikeMike

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ok...so let's say that the lottery gods look favourably upon us and we get 1OA. Lafreniere.

How far down is the next pick before you take Drysdale?

Getting the clear cut best OA and best D in a draft would be something else

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ok...so let's say that the lottery gods look favourably upon us and we get 1OA. Lafreniere.

How far down is the next pick before you take Drysdale?

Getting the clear cut best OA and best D in a draft would be something else

Probably 4th, behind Byfield and Stutzle. I think other teams (New Jersey and Anaheim, specifically) would take him 3rd.

Maybe I'd take Raymond over Drysdale, but I'd take definitely Drysdale over Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti, etc.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is Doughty a bad comparable??

Kid hasn't even turned 18 yet. I'd be happy to add him with the 2nd pick if we can. I think he's a home run, and we should be able to take one or two swings for a home run with our 2nd round picks.

Between Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Brown and Duclair, we should have 5 top-six forwards by the end of next year. Pageau, Formenton, Balcers, Abramov and Paul could play up if necessary. Pinto coming up, plus whoever we take in the 2nd this year.

We really need that elite forward (I think we'll get it with our pick).

Adding a 1st round RHD in 3 consecutive drafts, with Chabot, Brannstrom and Wolanin on the left would be setting up for a great blueline by the start of 2021-2022.
1 and 7. The gap between Lafreniere and Byfield/Stutzle is bigger than the gap between Byfield/Stutzle and Holtz/Perfetti.

I've seen the Doughty comparison before. I think as far as impact on the game offensively and defensively it makes sense. I think Drysdale skates better and is smoother; Doughty has better size

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I would endorse some combination of all of the above except trading for future picks. 2021 isn't looking like nearly as deep a draft as 2020, and 2022 is stacked at the top, but it's too early to say much about the depth.

We should definitely be looking to use some of those picks to trade up and make sure to get players we have targeted. It's also generally a smart idea to pick from a variety of sources - CHL, Europe, college, to stagger their pro turns. Picking over-age or late birthday players out of junior also accomplishes this.

I wish it could go without saying, but it probably needs to be said. Obviously picking the best players available should be the primary concern, but when there's not a consensus among our scouts, these other considerations should be factored in.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I've seen the Doughty comparison before. I think as far as impact on the game offensively and defensively it makes sense. I think Drysdale skates better and is smoother; Doughty has better size

I'm not a fan of the Doughty comparison. He's not as big or physical as Doughty. The best comparison I've been able to think of is Dan Boyle.

If it's a Doughty comparable we're after, Brandt Clarke for 2021 is much more similar to Doughty. He's a more physical defender and an explosive open ice hitter, with all the offensive skills to go along. He's likely top five though, maybe even top three or better. :sarcasm: But he's an Ottawa native, so if we have another very high pick next year it would be pretty cool if we could get him.

Reactions: bert and Alex1234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad