Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 1st Overall Pick, Alexis Lafreniere, LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is the problem. Our offense last year was good enough to compete. Our defense is why we missed the playoffs. Laf doesn’t help our issues. Our D personnel is still mediocre, and the fact our new D coach vouched for Jack Johnson is terribly troubling.

I feel like our top end talent was high, but balance was often illusive. I do think that we could/should see more balance from this forward group.

Our defense is still a weak point, but I also think we have some intriguing options coming up on the horizon when looking at the bigger picture. Miller, Robertson, Jones, Schneider, Lundkvist, and Reunanen are kids who should be pushing over the next few years.

At some point I do think movement is going to happen --- be it free agent attrition, or trades --- it's just not likely to all come right now.

I don't think there were any silver bullet solutions out there. Once we resigned Kreider, once we couldn't move Strome, and one we added Lafreniere and his bonuses, that window wasn't going to be there unless we made a trade. And even then, there isn't a clear guarantee that a trade was there to be had.

Dillon never hit free agency, Brodin re-signed and wasn't shopped, and other options either weren't preferred by the team, or the available player, or both.

So we're right back to looking at the trade route again where salary goes, so that different salary can come back.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
2019 Panarin > 2020 Panarin
2019 Zibanejad = 2020 Zibanejad
2019 Buchnevich = 2019 Buchnevich
2019 Kakko << 2020 Kakko
2019 Strome > 2020 Strome
2019 Kreider = 2020 Kreider
2019 Chytil < 2020 Chytil
2019 Howden < 2020 Howden
2019 Lemieux = 2020 Lemieux
2019 Gauthier < 2020 Gauthier
2019 Fast >> Replacement
2019 DiGiuseppe << 2020 Lafreniere

2019 Trouba < 2020 Trouba
2019 Staal = 2020 Johnson
2019 Fox < 2020 Fox
2019 DeAngelo = 2020 DeAngelo
2019 Lindgren < 2020 Lindgren
2019 Smith = 2020 Smith

2019 goalie tandem << 2020 goalie tandem

Here is my list.

Aside from Alexis, who else graduates up from the prospect pool? Who is the Repalcement that fills the Fast spot?

Baron? Gettinger? Kravtsov?

Potential graduates include Barron, Gettinger, Kravtsov, maybe names like Rueschhoff and Khodorenko could get looks.

Some of the lineup depends on whether Kreider shifts over the right side.

That could theoretically slide Gauthier down to a fourth line role and open up a LW spot.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
LW: Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Lemieux

RW: Buchnevich, Kakko, Gauthier, maybe Kravstov, maybe Strome

C: Zibanejad, Strome, Chytil, Howden

RD: Trouba, Fox, DeAngelo

LD: Lindgren, Johnson, Smith

G: Shesterkin, Georgiev

On paper we’re stronger everywhere but center and LD, which is what’s been talked about since before the bubble play even began. Trouba should be more comfortable and have a better year. Fox with more experience and DeAngelo, even if his points are down a bit should be right on par. Goaltending should be much better. Left wing is stacked. RW is alright, especially if Kakko takes a step or Kravstov makes the team. Center is rough, but if Chytil takes a step or Strome maintains his chemistry with Panarin it’s passable for another year. The left side of the defense is absolutely abysmal. One player who would be a #5/6 on a contender and two who are waiver fodder.
Laf will play center. He will start to get used to it from day one. He is that kind of special player we will make him center. Center position impacts the game more. Watch his interview after draft. Things have been discussed.

Reactions: Ola

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Laf will play center. He will start to get used to it from day one. He is that kind of special player we will make him center. Center position impacts the game more. Watch his interview after draft. Things have been discussed.

It’s been brought up ad nauseam. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but Vally asking him about it and him saying he’s open to it is not confirmation of some conspiracy that Gorts asked him to play C before drafting him or any of the other ideas that have been floated. I’ll believe it when he’s lining up to take a face off in the NHL.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Oh this is an interesting and fun game to play. I'll give it a go as well.

2019 Panarin > 2020 Panarin
2019 Zibanejad > 2020 Zibanejad
2019 Buchnevich < 2019 Buchnevich
2019 Kakko << 2020 Kakko
2019 Strome > 2020 Strome
2019 Kreider = 2020 Kreider
2019 Chytil < 2020 Chytil
2019 Howden < 2020 Howden
2019 Lemieux = 2020 Lemieux
2019 Gauthier = 2020 Gauthier
2019 Fast >> Replacement
2019 DiGiuseppe <<< 2020 Lafreniere

2019 Trouba << 2020 Trouba
2019 Skjei > Replacement
2019 Staal = 2020 Johnson
2019 Fox < 2020 Fox
2019 DeAngelo > 2020 DeAngelo
2019 Lindgren < 2020 Lindgren
2019 Smith = 2020 Smith

2019 goalie tandem << 2020 goalie tandem

Overall, I think the addition of Lafreniere, the progrss of Kakko and gains by Chytil and Howden will make for a strong and more balanced forward corps.

On defense I think we're more or less going to be about the same. I expect Fox to take a modest step forward, ADA a slight step back, Lindgren to be slightly better, Trouba to be more comfortable, and Staal/Johnson to be a wash. Smith will be what he was last year. I think Skjei's short term replacement will be less than what we got from Skjei last season.

In goal, I think we'll have more stability and more flow, though I think there will be some bumps in the road along the way.

I think this team be in the hunt for one of the lower playoff seeds.
Nailed it, IMO. My only quibble is that I think Gauthier will improve. But I've been higher on him than most from the start, so that's to be expected.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
It’s been brought up ad nauseam. I’m not saying it’s not possible, but Vally asking him about it and him saying he’s open to it is not confirmation of some conspiracy that Gorts asked him to play C before drafting him or any of the other ideas that have been floated. I’ll believe it when he’s lining up to take a face off in the NHL.
If faceoffs are the concern, put him with Kreider. Though a LW, I recall seeing CK cleanly beating centers at draws several times last season. I’m sure the rest of the position can be taught.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The oilers have too chosen first in weak drafts, wrong place at the wrong moment, but they are still a bad team even with mcdavid and draistl. That even worse.

True - their drafts have not been great. Have to blame them for so little progress though. Not sure what is going on with that organization. They’ve been spoon fed enough talent to be more productive than they’ve been imo.

good post

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
woulda if Red Auerbach was the GM
I mean the argument is interesting if he’s a day past the cutoff. At 18 years of age, your life has either 4 leap years or 5. If his life had 5 leap years at 18, you can argue that its not fair that an 18 year old with only 4 leap years is elligible, but thd player who lived through an extra day wasn’t.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Did he say why he went with 13? Any personal story or whatever?

New Era for the NYR organization.
Elements Of The 13 Crystal Skulls Legend

The basic elements of the 13 crystal skulls legend is that at a pivotal time in humanity's history, the 13 crystal skulls will be reunited to awaken a new era - transforming from an old paradigm into a new world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad