Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 1st Overall Pick, Alexis Lafreniere, LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Just heard my 3 year old singing on her own....

Do...a deer....a female deer.
Re....a drop of golden sun.
Mi...a name, I call myself
Fa...a long long way to run.
So...a needle pulling thread
La....alexis lafreniere!
Ti...I drink with jam and bread...
And that bring us back to do do do do

I literally never ever even thought about that...it's...amazing

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Just heard my 3 year old singing on her own....

Do...a deer....a female deer.
Re....a drop of golden sun.
Mi...a name, I call myself
Fa...a long long way to run.
So...a needle pulling thread
La....alexis lafreniere!
Ti...I drink with jam and bread...
And that bring us back to do do do do

I literally never ever even thought about that...it's...amazing

Smart kidlet...

Maybe line three can become...

Mi...Mi ka ze bin a jad

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
One of the things I love most about Lafreniere is how he is always able to extend play when he is eliminated by the other team’s defense.

He makes so many little smart chips and and tips with the puck when getting angled, pinned or tied up that pushes play towards his teammates or away from his own net. It seems like a no brainer type thing to do, but it’s rare to see a prospect always have a Plan B for when Plan A doesn’t work - which speaks to his game sense.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
One of the things I love most about Lafreniere is how he is always able to extend play when he is eliminated by the other team’s defense.

He makes so many little smart chips and and tips with the puck when getting angled, pinned or tied up that pushes play towards his teammates or away from his own net. It seems like a no brainer type thing to do, but it’s rare to see a prospect always have a Plan B for when Plan A doesn’t work - which speaks to his game sense.

Yeah honestly this is what separates him from someone like Byfield, who honestly if you just take away the obvious options, he's kind of lost.

It's not so much about having a Plan B, but it's knowing and understanding that if option 1 2 and 3 are taken away, all that means is that options 4 5 and 6 have opened up. Being able to identify that and execute on the fly is a very rare skill, it's the game sense that you mentioned.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah honestly this is what separates him from someone like Byfield, who honestly if you just take away the obvious options, he's kind of lost.

It's not so much about having a Plan B, but it's knowing and understanding that if option 1 2 and 3 are taken away, all that means is that options 4 5 and 6 have opened up. Being able to identify that and execute on the fly is a very rare skill, it's the game sense that you mentioned.

Oof. Wolves STH here, this is harsh and flat out incorrect re: Byfield.

I think it's fine, and I wholeheartedly agree, to state that Lafreniere is a better player, but Byfield is still an elite playmaker and has a wicked shot from practically anywhere in the offensive end. There's a plan A, B, and C whenever he has the puck. I've seen him dance around good defenders, as well D make difficult precision passes not many people can make in order to set up goals.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Anyhoo, I came here to see whether you guys would like to see him at the WJC or not if the NHL doesn't start til February. And is it more because you're worried about injury/want him at Rangers camp early if such a thing is a reality, or because he plays for Canada, lol.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Anyhoo, I came here to see whether you guys would like to see him at the WJC or not if the NHL doesn't start til February. And is it more because you're worried about injury/want him at Rangers camp early if such a thing is a reality, or because he plays for Canada, lol.

Personally, I wouldn't.

There is nothing left for him to prove in juniors, and he has already focused completely on becoming a star in the NHL. I don't see anything to gain from risking injury/illness at a junior tourney at this point.

Reactions: egelband

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
He has nothing left to prove at that level and wouldn’t benefit by dominating kids who are younger than him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Oof. Wolves STH here, this is harsh and flat out incorrect re: Byfield.

I think it's fine, and I wholeheartedly agree, to state that Lafreniere is a better player, but Byfield is still an elite playmaker and has a wicked shot from practically anywhere in the offensive end. There's a plan A, B, and C whenever he has the puck. I've seen him dance around good defenders, as well D make difficult precision passes not many people can make in order to set up goals.

He's got great tools, theres no denying that, but soooooo much of his offense was created off of the rush in what was basically a pond hockey league last year (OHL defenses and goaltending were really, really awful on the whole, especially in the East.) From what I saw, when he was forced to set up shop, he struggled, at least more so than some of the other top guys in this year's draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for him to succeed. I just see there being some real road blocks in his way that go unacknowledged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad