Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Don't need to look much further than our current roster to see the comparable: Jacob Trouba. Big, mobile, nasty, and can move the puck effectively. This is not a Dylan McIlrath redux.
The best part is that his IQ is better than Trouba’s, at least from reading and watching a few highlights of him. Drafting a Trouba at 19 is good, but that IQ makes me think his ceiling is a bit higher hopefully

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Good to have a player which forces opponents to skate with their heads up.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Correct, sometimes you NEED to do that, you need to give to get.However I think everyone is shooting for the stars in regards to an Eichel level or the like at center. An upgrade on Strome at 2C isn’t a ridiculous ask with players in the strengths that we have.
So you would be fine trading Fox, a 1st, and maybe something else for Zegras? Or Lafreniere+ for Eichel?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Fox is a wonderful defenseman. Please re-read my post.

He’s not the big, heavy minute, shut down defenseman this team is lacking.
I see what you’re saying. Maybe there’s a reason Tampa with Hedman and McDonagh and Dallas with Heiskanen made it to the Finals. And maybe it’s no coincidence that the team with two of those defensemen instead of one ended up winning the Cup. Maybe there’s also a reason why the Stars (with Heiskanen) made it to the Finals over the Canucks (with Hughes), the Avalanche (with Makar), and the Rangers (with Fox). And all four of those players are amazing players, but Heiskanen is the most complete and the biggest. In the playoffs, I would say that’s the kind of player you want.

Reactions: Gresch04

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This.
Schneider will probably play one more season in the WHL before getting at least one season in Hartford. Are some thinking this kid will push for a spot next season?

FWIW there was talk that the Leafs would draft him at 15 and that he could push for an NHL job with them right away. He plays a safe and steady game--he can play physical and he skates well and he plays within his limitations which speaks to maturity. Kind of a Ryan Graves maybe or a Mike Sauer without the injury history.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
As I’ve said I like Schneider individually. I also liked Miller and Lundkvist.

But they have a clear cut strategy to prioritize the D a certain way. That’s why they specifically targeted Miller and Schneider in trade ups instead of targeting forwards they liked in trade ups.

I’m ready to see some organizational commitment to center depth please. I feel sometimes they are willing to say l”We are good with Buch at RW” but not “we are good with DeAngelo at RD,” even though their situations on the roster are quite similar. And again, center... jeeebus. It’s a wasteland after Chytil basically. Morgan Barron, wow.

If they trade back in and get Khusnutdinov in the second I’ll forgive them though.
Hey hey hey. What about Riley Hughes?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I mentioned this in the draft thread, but it's worth repeating here:

Schneider is getting ready for his fourth full WHL season (not counting the one game he played in 2016/17). He's an older birthday who most likely will be turning pro whenever his WHL season ends.

In other words, he could be a pro in as little 6-8 months.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Schneider is getting ready for his fourth full WHL season (not counting the one game he played in 2016/17). He's an older birthday who most likely will be turning pro whenever his WHL season ends.

Edge, what do you think of the pick?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Very intriguing. Probably will need 1-2 years of AHL development though, right?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
What’s most important to me about this pick is the thought process of what went into it from the scouting and management staff of the Rangers:

1. They weren’t afraid (again) to be aggressive and move up in the first round to get a player they targeted on their draft board who fell a bit. After they landed the #1 ovr they weren’t satisfied.

2. They jump ahead of the Devils who likely would have went for a Defenseman (probably Schneider) after drafting two forwards. They are rivals in the division and this kid has top 4 potential and can eat minutes and be a shut down pairing guy. That wins games. A shift of power there that they saw an opportunity to exploit. Again, not afraid of pulling the trigger on a move that could start out as a ripple and turn into a big wave that affects the future.

3. They drafted another solid chip in an area of strength. Exhibiting foresight. They have a plan - a very detailed one that they are obviously executing and it seems to be on a long term path. Long gone are the days of the past when we bemoaned Sathers lazy approach to free agency, scouting and lacking of any semblance of a plan, as he bought up every shiny object and reclamation project he could get his hands on.

4. The Rangers have proven that they are all about building high level talent and will stack the chips and build this team with patience and smarts. They bring value into the system that you may only find through the draft and then they assess if that talent can help them fill a need on the ice or be used in a trade to address a hole. This pick is a perfect example of that.

You can debate the pick all you want but he’s got the tools, from what I gather is an extremely safe pick in regards to defensive play, he’s a very late draft, only 5 days off from being a 2019 selection so it fits the time frame of this team and it’s a selection with a purpose and that’s all I ask from management.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
One last thing. I’m starting to appreciate size on defense a little more than I used to, especially after the playoffs this year, seeing teams with big defensemen get far into the playoffs. As long as it’s not the only attribute the defenseman has, and Schneider is more than size. Maybe even a lot more.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I wasn't necessarily happy with the pick when their were centers on the board that could really help the depleted depth we have as an organization there. Zary would have fit a need. Bourque too. But the more you read about this kid, the better it gets.

Physical, rugged, but sound in his zone. Everyone harps on Trouba, but if he can come close to being that player, this is a home run pick.

We will need guys on the right side eventually. DeAngelo won't be here forever. Fox is the long term guy on the blue line and this type of player compliments him.

A concern was who on the right side will PK. This kid will do that and allow Fox to be able to run things on the PP and 5v5.

If they can add a 2nd and snag one of these centers that dropped into round 2, we could loom back at this and the 2018 draft and linchpins for the next decade on how successful this franchise becomes.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I thought this shift by shift of him against the Oil Kings, who were the 3rd best team in the WHL this year, was pretty interesting:

A couple things stood out to me:
- He played almost 23 minutes and I don't think his team gave up one good 5v5 scoring chance with him on the ice except for one play where I'm pretty sure his poke check bounced off of his teammate and back to the player on the other team.
- He's really smart, aggressive, and effective with his pinches. He steps up a lot and he breaks up the play almost every time he does while rarely giving up chances on bad pinches. He stopped a lot of chances before they developed.
- He broke up a few plays in front of the net and I don't think he got beat off the rush (although there weren't many rushes against him because he normally broke the play up before it got to that point).
- I don't think he had one bad turnover and almost every time he had the puck on his stick, it ended up on one of his teammates tapes in improved position.
- He seemed to distribute the puck pretty well in the offensive zone.
- He seemed to be one of the better skaters on the ice.

In general, he seems like a guy who is very good at preventing the other team from getting chances and very good at moving the puck. Between the defense and the puck distribution, his corsi must have been like 80% that game. He didn't make any wow plays, but he might have made every play his team was relying on him to make without any mistakes.

I'm not sure where he fits in with Trouba, Fox, ADA, and Lundkvist already in the system, but I think guys who play effective defense, make the plays their teams are relying on them to make, and help their team control the puck are really valuable, even if they don't score a lot, so he seems like a pretty interesting prospect to me.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yeah if you isolate certain plays among numerous games hes gonna have some mishaps on defense.
Idk, Will is a pretty reliable guy and he doesn’t like the pick at all. I wasn’t throwing a fit like some were at the pick, I’m meh on it. When you have the 1st overall pick I’d swing for the fences on a Lapierre type of player, not take the safe shutdown d man. Just found it funny when his player comparable was Trouba and then those gaffs look identical to stuff Trouba does

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad