Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
organization’s slavish devotion to building defense first which I think is misguided slightly in today’s league. The Rangers always seem to lean D. I’d rather have a stable of forwards. Or at least half a stable.

Laf, Kakko, Panarin, Zibanijad, Kreider, Buchnevich, Lemieux, Strome, Chytil, Howden, Gauthier, Kravtsov, Barron, Henriksson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I wish the Rangers didn't draft a soft Canadian and went for a tough Euro.

Did I get the dumb stereotype correct?

I haven't watched him at all but his skillset sounds pretty good and ultimately, I don't really care about the position of strength thing. If the Rangers have 15 RHD's that are capable to playing in the NHL, they will either find a place for him or get something back from a team that does. Lets just hope he makes it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Idk, Will is a pretty reliable guy and he doesn’t like the pick at all. I wasn’t throwing a fit like some were at the pick, I’m meh on it. When you have the 1st overall pick I’d swing for the fences on a Lapierre type of player, not take the safe shutdown d man. Just found it funny when his player comparable was Trouba and then those gaffs look identical to stuff Trouba does

Will's a good dude who works his butt off and I respect his opinion, but his word isn't gospel.

I like that he mixes both the eye test and the stat sheet, but its not like his evaluations are infallible.

FWIW, he doesn't like Lapierre either.

Reactions: egelband

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Idk, Will is a pretty reliable guy and he doesn’t like the pick at all. I wasn’t throwing a fit like some were at the pick, I’m meh on it. When you have the 1st overall pick I’d swing for the fences on a Lapierre type of player, not take the safe shutdown d man. Just found it funny when his player comparable was Trouba and then those gaffs look identical to stuff Trouba does
I agree I'd rather take Hendrix, but Schneider is not a bad pick. Im not a big fan of schooch though he focuses too much of analytics in his scouting. Like I mentioned in the draft thread he was saying Byfield had a serious argument for going first, and had Jake Sanderson in a completely different tier to Drysdale. Also if you want to go by his tiers he only had a 1 tier difference between Hendrix and Schneider.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Cloud 9 right now boys and girls. WHO. f***ING. CARES - We got #1. I love this kid's potential, I love what he can bring, I love him as a trade chip. "Hard to play against." This is EXACTLY what we need. And the fact that the Devils were about to pick him is even better - we run this f***ing town - Not them.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I was hoping for a C. We already have Trouba, Fox, DeAngelo & Lundkvist as RHD... But Schneider looks like a beast. I think he's 1-2 years away. He looks physical ready!

Who knows if/when we trade DeAngelo... there'll be an opening for sure.

Schneider's idol is Scott Stevens. He scored at a good rate and he loves to hit the shit out of players. I'm happy that the Devils didn't get him.

I don't want him f***ing our players up haha.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not thrilled with the pick but don't hate it. I don't know much about the player though and honestly never heard of him before tonight, hope he proves me and all of us wrong. In my short viewings of iso-shifts, scouting and highlights of him, he's a much better than skater than Dylan McIlrath. That's a garbage, lazy comp.

Not an elite skater but a good skater where he can gap up and step-up and not fear getting beat. I didn't see him get beat wide off the rush once in any of the videos. He looked great at steering puck carriers to the boards and separating them from the puck. And I saw him break up a ton of cycles down low too.

Didn't see much offense or high-end plays with the puck, but I think that's a given with him, there's not much there in that regard. Just the smart high percentage plays like quick-ups to his wingers and such.

One name I'll throw out there when I was watching him is Brandon Carlo. Strong, mobile RHD who's very solid defensively. Think there's a decent chance he can be that kind of player and if so that's good value where he was drafted.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edge, what do you think of the pick?

I think it’s a solid pick. I don’t think it’s a flashy pick, or one that’s going to set anyone’s heart ablaze, but I do think it was good value and they got the type of player you potentially win with.

I think they have options down the line for moves and Schneider does something that is very easy to overlook in a defenseman these days:

He plays actual, solid defense.

He’s not your power play QB, or the guy setting up plays. He has a very clear mission - get puck from opponent, get puck out of danger.

He’s a bastard to play against and not because he is sending guys flying all ice, because he is just relentless in how he hounds opponents. He doesn’t give them a moment to relax or get comfortable.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Very intriguing. Probably will need 1-2 years of AHL development though, right?

We’ll see. If he does indeed jump after next season, he’ll be one of the younger players in the AHL the following season. I think 1-2 is fair, but he has such a clearly defined path I can’t help but feel like he could surprise people sooner than they expect.

And like Lindgren, he might not ever really blow people away at the AHL level either.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thanks. Do you think the Rangers were ever seriously looking at Lapierre? That would have been a big swing.

Absolutely. Early feedback indicates they studied whatever medical stuff they could get their hands on and just did not come away totally comfortable. There’s the lingering doubt that two or three years down the line you could be faced with another problem.

The talent is never in doubt. They love the talent. But you have to wonder if maybe it isn’t for the best.

This team lost very young first round picks and top prospects from the 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2007 drafts to health issues and had first rounders in 2003 and 2010 face major injuries at young ages. If your medical consultants raise red flags, it’s going to have some weight on the decision.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Absolutely. Early feedback indicates they studied whatever medical stuff they could get their hands on and just did not come away totally comfortable. There’s the lingering doubt that two or three years down the line you could be faced with another problem.

The talent is never in doubt. They love the talent. But you have to wonder if maybe it isn’t for the best.

This team lost very young first round picks and top prospects from the 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2007 drafts to health issues and had first rounders in 2003 and 2010 face major injuries at young ages. If your medical consultants raise red flags, it’s going to have some weight on the decision.

Thanks. Good insight as usual.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
We’ll see. If he does indeed jump after next season, he’ll be one of the younger players in the AHL the following season. I think 1-2 is fair, but he has such a clearly defined path I can’t help but feel like he could surprise people sooner than they expect.

And like Lindgren, he might not ever really blow people away at the AHL level either.
Yea but I would hope at 19 that he has more offensive potential than Lindgren. I do believe Lindgren has some untapped offensive upside there, but Schneider should have more than “untapped”

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yea but I would hope at 19 that he has more offensive potential than Lindgren. I do believe Lindgren has some untapped offensive upside there, but Schneider should have more than “untapped”

He does, but I don’t know if it’s really something I’d hang my hat on. I have a similar take to the one McKenzie relayed: I see a guy who might see some time on a second power play unit, could be used in certain situations, but overall is primarily about shutting down other teams.

If that means covering for Miller or Jones someday, great.

If that means maintaining value but being moved so shore to another area. That’s fine too.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Still don't like it. Not that he's a terrible prospect but the excitement factor is virtually zero with this guy and its the one position besides wing we are overcrowded at. So now not only is ADA probably gone but even still there's not going to be room for him and Nils, because Fox and Trouba are going nowhere anytime soon.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
This guy is very easy to see on film. He moves very well and is VERY strong, even for his size. He plays bigger than his size which is big but not huge, although he could probably still grow some more, but what gets me is how strong he is on his skates in movement, he does not get moved off the puck or bullied by bigger players. There was this video with Byfield where he pinned him against the boards for a good minute. Also, he plays like an asshole and hits a ton so he's probably a bigger and stronger and more mobile version of Lindgren. One thing I did notice is that he looks very polished already, very positionally sound and that bodes well for him.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

I like this video for all of the clips this guy puts together. I was gonna post this too but good thing i skimmed through the thread first.

Also, he's go some spread sheet with some advanced stats on Braden. Also also, 20 points on the PP? 11 secondary assists but still...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Remember when we traded Joey Keane out of an abundance of RHD?

These picks are a good 4-5 years away and even longer before we can expect any real impact.

When making this pick, I do wonder if Gorton wasn’t considering that we would get an asset that was going to hold a lot of value on the trade market no matter what.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
These picks are a good 4-5 years away and even longer before we can expect any real impact.

When making this pick, I do wonder if Gorton wasn’t considering that we would get an asset that was going to hold a lot of value on the trade market no matter what.
going off Edge's ranking list, I think they just had him high, saw him available, and knew Jersey/CLB would grab him so they made the move. your #12 guy at #19 is good value.

My impression is a Boychuk Carlo type of player from him.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
When you are looking to move current defensemen on the roster then it is good to have safer prospects in the pipeline so that you aren't stuck with Strudwick on your 3rd pair

Also, if you are a team that has amassed a large grouping of quality prospects and in the coming years you expect to be dealing from that position of strength to supplement your NHL roster then maybe it is best to take assets that you are more certain will retain their value over the years, rather than a riskier pick that could go bottoms up in a short amount of time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad