Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
From Hockey Prospects Black Book where they had him ranked #11:
Hockey Sense - 8
Compete - 8
Skill - 6
Skating - 7
Misc - 8

Schneider is a smart, two-way defenseman packaged into an imposing figure with an NHL ready frame, who covers a lot
of ice in quickly using his very impressive four-way mobility.

One thing separates Schneider from most of this defensive-class and has us ranking him as highly as we do is his
awareness both on and off the puck.

Schneider was a positive contributor in every game we saw. We can’t emphasize that last
statement enough. We didn’t see a single poor performance from this prospect this season, and we had a good number
of viewings of him by the end of the season

Schneider is one of the most NHL ready defensemen available in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. We think he projects to be a
modern-day, two-way, mobile puck moving defenseman. We think he can transition the puck, as well as shutdown other
teams’ top players.

From Future Considerations who had him #21:

elusive under pressure and he is skilled with the puck. He is a strong skater who has a wide track stance that generates a pile of
power, which helps him pace play. He always keeps his feet moving to stay elusive in transition while making sharp and snappy passes to his teammates.

relies on his superior positioning, strength and stickwork to neutralize opponents. He has
the combination of quickness and mobility to erase pass and skating lanes and goes for the
body over the puck but also keeps an active and well-timed stick

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We are loaded with defenseman prospects. Miller, Nils, Schneider, Robertson, Jones. That’s a big asset. You can use that to your advantage in a trade if to replace an aging player or a roster player you want to move for cap relief

You know what's better than having spare assets to trade for Julian Gauthier?

A top 6 drafted center prospect.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You can tell this pick had JD's fingerprints all over it by the way he reacted when Calgary accepted the offer to trade down.

Big, hard to play against and has the right attributes to be a successful, modern day NHL defenseman. There's very little not to like here.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019

A top 6 drafted center prospect

Ok....I think we all want that but it wasnt happening. I’m guessing you’re talking about Lapierre? Sorry but the kid having 3 concussions is terrifying . Plus we drafted Laf. If you are still unhappy I dunno what to tell you

Reactions: Chytilmania

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Braden Schneider had a strong season with seven goals and 35 assists for 42 points in 60 games for the Brandon Wheat Kings. He is considered a leader on the team as an alternate captain. He also played in two games for the WHL in the Canada-Russia Super Series and appeared in the CHL Top Prospects Game, scoring a goal in the game.

Schneider played eight games for Team Canada at the Under-18 World Championships last spring. He scored two goals and an assist and was named a top-three player on the team. Schneider was part of the 2018 Team Canada entrant at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning gold. The late-2001 birthdate defender had 24 points in 58 games last season. The 12th overall pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft, Schneider had 22 points in 66 games in 2017-18 as a WHL rookie. He also scored six points in 11 playoff games that year. He played for Team Canada White at the 2017 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up two points in six tournament games.

Braden Schneider Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #17
12F64479-5536-48FE-8C92-DB9FF97C0E0D.jpeg

Lol no I’m just joking but thank for the info. Like I said, I appreciate you guys

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
You can tell this pick had JD's fingerprints all over it by the way he reacted when Calgary accepted the offer to trade down.

Big, hard to play against and has the right attributes to be a successful, modern day NHL defenseman. There's very little not to like here.

Agreed. Really liking this pick.

Sure, there were some sexy forwards available but all of them have a lot of question marks. This kid is going to be a player.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
like most i was surprised by the pick due to position and i'm very curious to see how the depth works itself out over the next few years...but that said he sounds like he has the potential to be exactly the type of dman we need. a dman that plays defense what a concept...I could see him being a fan favorite one day.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
From what I’m seeing, his shot is overrated but his skill is sort of underrated? I would say he probably has a good shot and average to slightly above average skill, but yea nothing crazy. I’m warming up to this pick when you consider his skating, passing, and defensive ability. Similar qualities to K’Andre and Robertson. If any one of those 3 becomes a good top 4 defenseman in 1-3 years, I’m happy

Reactions: Pidto Files

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
We need a good/young center in the NHL now, not a good center prospect. We will eventually need to address that pipeline, however BPA right now in a strength that we have...that will need to filled sooner then later with possible departures or previous picks not panning out isn’t a bad pick by any means.

Great draft overall, now let’s address that NHL CURRENT 2C/LHD need.

Last edited:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
From Hockey Prospects Black Book where they had him ranked #11:
Hockey Sense - 8
Compete - 8
Skill - 6
Skating - 7
Misc - 8

Schneider is a smart, two-way defenseman packaged into an imposing figure with an NHL ready frame, who covers a lot
of ice in quickly using his very impressive four-way mobility.

One thing separates Schneider from most of this defensive-class and has us ranking him as highly as we do is his
awareness both on and off the puck.

Schneider was a positive contributor in every game we saw. We can’t emphasize that last
statement enough. We didn’t see a single poor performance from this prospect this season, and we had a good number
of viewings of him by the end of the season

Schneider is one of the most NHL ready defensemen available in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. We think he projects to be a
modern-day, two-way, mobile puck moving defenseman. We think he can transition the puck, as well as shutdown other
teams’ top players.

From Future Considerations who had him #21:

elusive under pressure and he is skilled with the puck. He is a strong skater who has a wide track stance that generates a pile of
power, which helps him pace play. He always keeps his feet moving to stay elusive in transition while making sharp and snappy passes to his teammates.

relies on his superior positioning, strength and stickwork to neutralize opponents. He has
the combination of quickness and mobility to erase pass and skating lanes and goes for the
body over the puck but also keeps an active and well-timed stick

So he's not makarrath?

yeah that spelling is horrible but I'm talking into my phone and I don't really care

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Ok....I think we all want that but it wasnt happening. I’m guessing you’re talking about Lapierre? Sorry but the kid have 3 concussions is terrifying . Plus we drafted Laf. If you are still unhappy I dunno what to tell you

As I've said I like Schneider.

I'm not really unhappy.

I'm slightly frustrated with what I perceive to be a clear prerogative of the organization to value defense over offense in terms of general roster construction (which I feel is backwards in today's league). I feel like they will go F/C when it's blatantly obvious (Kakko/Lafreniere) or when they are desperate for forward help (Andersson, Kravtsov), but will then settle for "the one stud," and then switch back to their philosophy of flooding the organization with D prospects in a carpet bombing approach to finding some that will pan out (Miller, Lundkvist, Ragnarsson, Keane, Gross, Robertson, Jones, Skinner, and now Schneider; and let's not forget the acquisition of prospects through trade in DeAngelo, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren and Fox).

Center remains essentially barren. After Zibanejad, Howden and Chytil, we basically have long shots in Henriksson and Barron in the org. Meanwhile we have too many RD to even know what to do with them all. I guess ADA is getting moved... and then who else? Are we back to saying Trouba is tradeable now, after spending the last 6 months shooting down any trade proposal with him in it? Or is Lundkvist getting moved (~barf~)?

Having too many prospects is a good thing, not a bad thing, but it's SLIGHTLY bad when you can so easily see a failure of the organization to target C upgrades instead. If we are trading up for Schneider, why not trade up a few more spots for Lundell? If we are trading up for Miller, why not trade up a few more spots for Kupari? Etc. It's not saying that the individual trades are bad; it's simply saying they clearly prioritize paying assets to move up for a D, but again and again don't make that same decision for a F/C unless it falls into their laps.

If they are proactive tomorrow about getting into the second for Khusnutdinov or Mysak I will forgive them a bit because it shows they know they have a depth problem and are working to fix it.

But god help me if they trade a third and fourth or Georgiev to move back up and get Helge Grans. NO!! Do it for a CENTER!

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
And that’s next to impossible to get in a trade, unless you seriously, and I mean seriously overpay

Correct, sometimes you NEED to do that, you need to give to get.However I think everyone is shooting for the stars in regards to an Eichel level or the like at center. An upgrade on Strome at 2C isn’t a ridiculous ask with players in the strengths that we have.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019

A top 6 drafted center prospect.

You know how we could fetch a quality center at some point?

By trading a high end RHD prospect.

We are stockpiling some really good assets which we’ll use for a trade at some point for a center...hence the eichel rumors

Reactions: Chytilmania

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad