Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Would have no problem running a rookie 3rd pairing of Robertson-lundkvist /Schneider if they show they are ready at camp. Can always find a cheap vet signing for 3rd pair for insurance if need be. Rather play the kids if they show they are ready

They could always pair Reunanen or Robertson with Trouba and have Miller with Lundkvist/Schneider

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
There is absolutely no smoke or fire to suggest that.

There isn’t any to suggest Lundkvist gets moved either. This is all just our opinion and despite how hot you are to move Nils I don’t think it’s particularly likely unless the return is massive.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We all understand that there are only so many spots on defense. In saying that, I'd PROBABLY be more inclined to see what a player Lindgren could return if guys like Robertson, Schneider and Lundqvist develop than trading Lundqvist or Schneider. Let one of them move to the left side.

Miller-Trouba
Robertson-Fox
Lundqvist-Schneider

The ELC's will be valuable and teams will be more confident acquiring a guy who has proven to be a top-4 d-man in the NHL which means his value will be higher.

Lindgren is super steady but agreed he doesn’t seem to have the upside.

I refuse to buy into the idea that Lundkvist is getting moved just cause there is no room with Trouba and Schneider around.

Lundkvist has more talent than either. I’m not pawning him off just cause “need moar tuffness!!!”

I endorse a plan that keeps him here even if someone has to move to their off side.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Why are we rushing Schneider and not Lundkvist? I do not understand? There was NOTHING in Schneider's games in the NHL that suggested that he is not ready for a shot. It will be a battle. Most, especially on here, have the spot as sewn away for Lundqvist. But given how Schneider has been performing, he is going to battle for it. And no one should be shocked if he wins it.

I think True Blue might be related to Schneider.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Fair, but I seen nothing that has him being moved even in the medium term. His game and size were brought here with the playoffs in mind. Sure he could be moved, but I tend to think that he was brough there for deep playoff runs.

I’m sure that WAS the plan before Fox turned into a superstar who is better than him and you drafted two more kids who also may be better than him.

If they are, you want those kids instead, to hell with the “style” he plays. Lundkvist isn’t exactly a shrinking violet.

New information requires a new plan.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
He may well. Or management and the coaching staff will decide that the playoffs are better off with both of them. And Fox.

Or because Lundkvist turns into a stud and Trouba has not been so far here, management decides they want the better player who isn’t making $8m a year.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Robertson, Lundkvist, Hajek, and Reunanen will be the four candidates for two NHL jobs next year. And thats not including the outside chance for Schneider.

Reunanen may already see he is essentially on the outside looking in.

Not sure why Reunanen isn’t getting more of a look over Hajek or Smith.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’m sure that WAS the plan before Fox turned into a superstar who is better than him and you drafted two more kids who also may be better than him.

If they are, you want those kids instead, to hell with the “style” he plays. Lundkvist isn’t exactly a shrinking violet.

Neither lundkvist or Schneider are going to marinate in the AHL for 3 years until trouba can be moved. If trouba sucked or was miserable here there might be an outside shot for a buyout or early deal but not likely. One of these young guns will be packaged for a high impact center while both their values are sky high. You talk of a new plan, but lundkvist was drafted before Schneider was drafted. That is a new plan, Schneider wasn’t in the system before. I don’t see them dealing lindgren, that’s Fox a best friend and they have history going back years. They also play really well together. Seems like they share a psychic connection lol. If they move a guy to the left, one of Robertson, lindgren, or miller is the odd man out. With Jones still coming fast and furious. Nils seems like the logical candidate with fox on the roster and Jones in the system but who knows they might deal Schneider instead. But moving up to get him at the draft and gushing over him, it’s highly unlikely, if both are ready at camp they are going to have a serious decision to make while each player is at their best value for trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There isn’t any to suggest Lundkvist gets moved either. This is all just our opinion and despite how hot you are to move Nils I don’t think it’s particularly likely unless the return is massive.
My comment was regarding Trouba being moved any time soon. And where am I "hot" to move Lundkvist?
Or maybe I see things differently than you and take other factors into consideration when presenting a credible argument with out taking sides?

Fox has absolutely nothing to do with Trouba. And how are these kids that were drafted that are better than him? Surely you are not going to say that Lundqvist and Schneider are already better than Trouba, are you?

Whatever plan you feel like concocting, I think that you had better simply get used to the idea that Trouba is not going anywhere. At least not for quite a while.
Or because Lundkvist turns into a stud and Trouba has not been so far here, management decides they want the better player who isn’t making $8m a year.
Considering he has not played a single second of NHL time, why not wait until this actually happens before jumping to such conclusions?
I refuse to buy into the idea that Lundkvist is getting moved just cause there is no room with Trouba and Schneider around.
It is every bit as realistic as Schneider getting traded. Every bit. When you look and see how the team is being built for the long term, the idea becomes even more grounded.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They could always pair Reunanen or Robertson with Trouba and have Miller with Lundkvist/Schneider
I would think that they will keep Miller with Trouba. Trouba has been pretty good this year and as Miller gets more and more experience, I think that there is room to grow for both of them together.

I think that there is a real shot that next year's third pairing has 3 rookies. Schneider vs. Lundkvist & Hajek vs. Reunanen vs Robertson.

And while I am the first to constantly rail against this and it hardly happens, if Lundkvist could ever play the left side (he is already a right shot), it would be a dream.

But for long term , we also should be realistic and expect that one or two of the defensive prospects that we really like will likely be moved.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hajek and Smith are both absolutely awful and together comprise one of the worst pairings in the league.

Dying for them both to get replaced by someone competent.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I rarely agree with True Blue but i agree here. I think Schneider is as ready as Lundqvist and it will come down to need. I was really impressed with the way Schneider moves and handled the puck in the WJC and the physicality is obvious. Of course, they can both make it if we make other changes.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Hajek and Smith are both absolutely awful and together comprise one of the worst pairings in the league.

Dying for them both to get replaced by someone competent.
Not watching hockey; just reading stats. Get a television.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I rarely agree with True Blue but i agree here. I think Schneider is as ready as Lundqvist and it will come down to need. I was really impressed with the way Schneider moves and handled the puck in the WJC and the physicality is obvious. Of course, they can both make it if we make other changes.

Schneider might have a shorter path to the NHL than Lundkvist when all is said and done, but remember that Lundkvist would have been here this year if not for Covid. Also remember that Lundkvist has been playing against men for the last 4 years, in one of the best leagues outside the NHL.

I like Schneider a lot, but it's a pretty tall task for any defenseman to go from the CHL to the NHL in their D+2 season. I expect him to show well in camp next year, but ultimately end up in Hartford for additional seasoning.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I hope it's a hell of a battle, because I like both guys a lot.

Lundkvist should have the inside track --- he's arguably a finalist in the discussion for best defensive prospect outside the NHL/AHL right now.

Schneider has nothing left to prove in the WHL at this point and could play in the AHL right now as a regular. I think he's NHL bound sooner rather than later.

But, if I were going to place bets, today, I would say Lundkvist starts on the opening night roster and Schneider eats up a ton of minutes in the AHL, possibly with Robertson.

Robertson is another one who is going to challenge for a spot sooner rather than later.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Schneider might have a shorter path to the NHL than Lundkvist when all is said and done, but remember that Lundkvist would have been here this year if not for Covid. Also remember that Lundkvist has been playing against men for the last 4 years, in one of the best leagues outside the NHL.

I like Schneider a lot, but it's a pretty tall task for any defenseman to go from the CHL to the NHL in their D+2 season. I expect him to show well in camp next year, but ultimately end up in Hartford for additional seasoning.
All true. We will see. I am excited about the competition.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All true. We will see. I am excited about the competition.

If everyone comes as advertised it will be a hell of a defensive rotation.

As to the Hajek Smith point, maybe they arent the worst in the league, but we could do much much better. The third pairing is one of the more obvious steps forward towards a competitive roster.

Reactions: eco's bones

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You agree that Hajek stinks? That's fine. Most of the posters who vilify his play use advance stats as their evidence.

I don't think hes good at all.

He had a stretch for a bit where he was legitimately okay, but hes reverted back to his usual. It hasn't helped that his partner has been even worse, but both he and Smith have sucked.

Reactions: nyr2k2

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I hope it's a hell of a battle, because I like both guys a lot.

Lundkvist should have the inside track --- he's arguably a finalist in the discussion for best defensive prospect outside the NHL/AHL right now.

Schneider has nothing left to prove in the WHL at this point and could play in the AHL right now as a regular. I think he's NHL bound sooner rather than later.

But, if I were going to place bets, today, I would say Lundkvist starts on the opening night roster and Schneider eats up a ton of minutes in the AHL, possibly with Robertson.

Robertson is another one who is going to challenge for a spot sooner rather than later.

The thing I keep wondering about is Robertson. If Robertson needs some time in HFD, could the team roll with a Schneider Lundkvist third pair? I understand that one of them would have to play on their off-side and they'd both be rookies, but I mean, Hajek is playing is off side and is basically a rookie in terms of experience. It's a really tall order but unless we are getting a truly elite 1C i don't move either of Lundkvist or Schneider. There are very few players in the league I would trade either for. Trouba has that no trade, and that salary but he's the one I'd prefer to move. Likely not realistic.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The thing I keep wondering about is Robertson. If Robertson needs some time in HFD, could the team roll with a Schneider Lundkvist third pair? I understand that one of them would have to play on their off-side and they'd both be rookies, but I mean, Hajek is playing is off side and is basically a rookie in terms of experience. It's a really tall order but unless we are getting a truly elite 1C i don't move either of Lundkvist or Schneider. There are very few players in the league I would trade either for. Trouba has that no trade, and that salary but he's the one I'd prefer to move. Likely not realistic.

I think there's significantly more comfort with playing Lundkvist or Schneider on the left side than there was with ADA. Having said that, I don't think the Rangers want to go that route long-term.

What's interesting is that you have three young defenseman who all could make very strong cases for playing in the NHL next season. I think that highly of Robertson, Schneider and Lundkvist.

But there may be an option where the Rangers bring in a more experienced left defenseman, for now, and let Robertson and Schneider eat a lot of time and play in different situations in Hartford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->