Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Funny you bring this up. This guy reminds me a hell of a lot of Dion Phaneuf, a player I was drooling over in 2003. Scary to think that that draft is now almost 20 years ago.

To be honest the better comparison IMO is Braydon Coburn, who actually went 1 pick higher than Phaneuf that year. Phaneuf had a more polished offensive game at 18 than Schneider, not to mention an absolute bomb of a shot from the point. You knew Phaneuf would score points at the next level.

Reactions: Synergy27

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Now what we need, if the WHL starts back up this year, is for Edmonton to trade Matthew Robertson to Brandon (or Brandon to trade Schneider to Edmonton). The thought of those two together...
The Rangers asked him about playing with Robertson at the Helinka Gretzky I believe. Would be interesting to dig up some old footage of them on the ice together.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The reality is that one never knows how the future unfolds. While we all knew (at least those that are realistic) that the right side would never have DeAngelo, Fox & Lundqvist all at the same time, the reality is that long term, who knows what happens? We know some assets will be used to shore up weaknesses in other areas. Would is surprise me if the right side is armed with Trouba, Fox & Lundqvist? Of course not. Nor would is shock me if you substituted DeAngelo's or Schnider's name in there.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Do you have a list of these 24 pairings?
Yeah man. Here are the pairings by year:

2010Chris ProngerMatt Carle
Kimmo TimonenBraydon Coburn
Hal GillJosh Gorges
Brian CampbellNiklas Hjalmarsson
Sergei GoncharBrooks Orpik
2011Brett ClarkVictor Hedman
Christian EhrhoffAlexander Edler
Zdeno CharaDennis Seidenberg
Mattias OhlundEric Brewer
2013Zdeno CharaDennis Seidenberg
Niklas KronwallJonathan Ericsson
Johnny OduyaNiklas Hjalmarsson
Kyle QuinceyBrendan Smith
2014Johnny OduyaNiklas Hjalmarsson
Andrei MarkovAlexei Emelin
2015Francois BeaucheminHampus Lindholm
Simon DespresCam Fowler
Braydon CoburnJason Garrison
2017Ron HainseyBrian Dumoulin
Trevor DaleyOlli Maatta
2018Brayden McNabbNate Schmidt
Brooks OrpikChristian Djoos
2019Justin FaulkBrett Pesce
2020Alec MartinezShea Theodore
Brayden McNabbNate Schmidt
Jamie OleksiakMiro Heiskanen
Andy GreeneNick Leddy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yeah man. Here are the pairings by year:

2010Chris ProngerMatt Carle
Kimmo TimonenBraydon Coburn
Hal GillJosh Gorges
Brian CampbellNiklas Hjalmarsson
Sergei GoncharBrooks Orpik
2011Brett ClarkVictor Hedman
Christian EhrhoffAlexander Edler
Zdeno CharaDennis Seidenberg
Mattias OhlundEric Brewer
2013Zdeno CharaDennis Seidenberg
Niklas KronwallJonathan Ericsson
Kyle QuinceyBrendan Smith
2014Johnny OduyaNiklas Hjalmarsson
Andrei MarkovAlexei Emelin
2015Francois BeaucheminHampus Lindholm
Simon DespresCam Fowler
Braydon CoburnJason Garrison
2017Ron HainseyBrian Dumoulin
Trevor DaleyOlli Maatta
2018Brayden McNabbNate Schmidt
Brooks OrpikChristian Djoos
2019Justin FaulkBrett Pesce
2020Alec MartinezShea Theodore
Brayden McNabbNate Schmidt
Jamie OleksiakMiro Heiskanen
Andy GreeneNick Leddy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

so it has become more rare in recent years and this year 2 of the 4 were vegas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It seems like it has not really been that prelevant to begin with. At most, it has been 25%. That is not rare, but certainly not common. And the odds of doing it successfully are against it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was about to say, this pick is aging like an acquired taste. The more I think about it, the more it grows on me. Bad analogy but idc. I went from disliking it to being meh with it to liking it to loving it. I really do think, from watching his highlights and reading about him a lot, that he has decent 2D upside. I don’t want to hype him up too much, but if what they say about his hockey sense at both ends of the rink is true, and as long as his hands aren’t made of stone (which they aren’t, but could use a little work), we’re looking good. He should be able to improve his agility a bit, and I wouldn’t mind if he got a little faster.

I love that he’s a good, smart passer, that his hands aren’t “defensive defenseman hands,” that he can defend physically as well with his brain and stick, the size, the intangibles, and the untapped offensive potential. I wouldn’t rule out PP2 (although the average agility and hands make it unlikely), but that won’t matter if he can produce 5v5 due to his passing, sense, and transition game. If he doesn’t moderately improve on one or two of speed/agility/hands/vision, then he’ll be a good top 4 d-man, which is great too.

Personally, his positioning, awareness and choices remind me a lot of McD. Consistently, game in and game out, he adjusts to his opponents and mitigates them.

Try to go around him? He’ll box you out.

Try to go through him? He’ll knock you on your ass.

Try to get cute, he’ll strip you of the puck and get the play started back the other way.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Personally, his positioning, awareness and choices remind me a lot of McD. Consistently, game in and game out, he adjusts to his opponents and mitigates them.

Try to get cute, he’ll strip you of the puck and get the play started back the other way.
Appreciate the evaluation. Gives me more hope

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Tidbits for the board:

Two west coast teams had Schneider in their top 10.

At least one had him at 11.

Guess that gives more support to NYR having him at 12. Solid value to grab him at 19, even if he doesn't fill a current position of need.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Rangers definitely have invested in and spent a lot of time focusing on the WHL the last two years.

A lot of these picks have been kids they’ve focused on for a while.

given the % of players in the nhl from the 3 chl leagues compared to the % of players from those leagues by the rangers I think it was fantastic job by the organization to recognize and address this problem

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not sure if this was posted before, but this is at game speed and no music. I'd say that uh... there are quite a bit of assurances with Braden. Glad Sanderson got all the hype... I don't see a great difference unless it's with the puck, and both guys had their stretches. They filled a hole before it became a need. Good pick.

The most impressive thing to me about this video was a celebration.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not sure if this was posted before, but this is at game speed and no music. I'd say that uh... there are quite a bit of assurances with Braden. Glad Sanderson got all the hype... I don't see a great difference unless it's with the puck, and both guys had their stretches. They filled a hole before it became a need. Good pick.

Yup, even if there’s a difference between Sanderson and Schneider it was judged to be a lot smaller than between Schneider and the next BPA.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yup, even if there’s a difference between Sanderson and Schneider it was judged to be a lot smaller than between Schneider and the next BPA.

For those types of minutes yes. It's funny I had some time to look into the pick, and I like it. Just meat and potatoes good. I think Sanderson is the type of guy you win with, and I get the same feeling with this kid.

You don't see players who are naturally inclined to play the type of game that he does. I get why they say he's pro ready. Personally I think a 3-4 month mass building program is what gets him ready more so than games, but you can see that he's got some puck skills to work with. Actually his puck skills are what everyone wished Marc Staal could turn into.

I think Schneider already has that defensive element to his game, and is a guy that get's what it will take to succeed at the next level. Pretty much every report I came across stated that Scheids is ready to step in. Which is a lever that the Rangers have depending on how training camp goes.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For those types of minutes yes. It's funny I had some time to look into the pick, and I like it. Just meat and potatoes good. I think Sanderson is the type of guy you win with, and I get the same feeling with this kid.

You don't see players who are naturally inclined to play the type of game that he does. I get why they say he's pro ready. Personally I think a 3-4 month mass building program is what gets him ready more so than games, but you can see that he's got some puck skills to work with. Actually his puck skills are what everyone wished Marc Staal could turn into.

I think Schneider already has that defensive element to his game, and is a guy that get's what it will take to succeed at the next level. Pretty much every report I came across stated that Scheids is ready to step in. Which is a lever that the Rangers have depending on how training camp goes.

Schneider is one of the small group of kids where this break could be more beneficial (instead of getting reps) where it serves a specific purpose on increasing his weight and skating agility.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

I would say the overall preference by GMs/coaches/players is for them to play on their strong-side. I'd think it's fairly obvious why. The issue is that on average 60-63% of NHL players are left-handed shots (LHS). In 2016, NHL defensemen breakdown LHS = 186 and RHS = 120. In 2019 it was LHS = 196 and RHS = 130.

Interesting side-note is Canada and Europe are responsible for the skew of this number as right handed dominant players are more apt to shoot left handed while in the US they are more apt to shoot dominant hand side.

Here are some coaches on the subject:

Mike Sullivan:
“We prefer to have guys on their strong sides as defensemen,” Sullivan said. “It helps going back for pucks. You’re always on your forehand. You have the ability to change the point of attack on your forehand, make that (defense-to-defense) pass. It puts guys in more advantageous positions. That’s not to say that some guys can’t play the off side. But I think it’s obvious that our preference is to keep them on their strong sides.”

Barry Trotz:
Said New York Islanders coach Barry Trotz: “It’s a huge luxury. When you get a lefty and lefty (on defense), it takes a unique player, a guy like (former Penguins defenseman) Sergei Gonchar who could do that a little bit. You lose about a third of your ice when you play your off hand. Just offensively, you lose a third of the ice. You get some good looks when you jump into holes because you’re on your off hand. You get a little more one-timers. It’s a unique skill to be able to do that.

“It is a luxury, and you need a really good, poised player with some ability with the hands and the ability to contort so he can open up the ice for himself. Having two lefties, passing for your partner is a little different spot than when you have a lefty-righty. There is an adjustment for everybody who does that. It is a luxury these days.”

Just by the raw numbers, there is going to be LH-LH defensive pairs throughout the league. While a LHD loses something by playing the RH side, if he's way more talented than the next RHD you have on the roster, you are going to go with the same hand pair out of necessity for the better results.

It's like if I said I was only able to clone Adam Fox and Jack Johnson three times so you have four of each to make up your blueline pairs however you want. You would have three pairs with Fox on the right side and you'd put the extra Fox on the left side, while begrudgingly putting JMFJ in the final two LH spots and asking me is there any other way to clone Fox twice more.

Schneider did play LHD for team Canada but again I doubt the Rangers drafted him with the intentions to ever do that here. Because of the above, RHD are a premium throughout the league and having Schneider there is great asset value. Crazy that the Rangers have the opposite problem of pretty much the rest of the league.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think he’s more ready than most assume. People seem to feel that being #19 means he’s going to need a few years, and I’m all for not rushing him, but he seems somewhat more ready than a lot of the guys who went before him, with less of a ceiling. If he played the left side, we’d probably be talking about his outside chances of grabbing a spot based on camp. Since the right is so crowded, we assume he’ll be a couple years away. Frankly, I personally would rather have a right side of Trouba/Fox/Schneider than Trouba/Fox/Lundkvist. Schneider definitely seems more like a guy you win with and brings more of the identity the team is trying to develop. It’ll be interesting how it all shakes out.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think he’s more ready than most assume. People seem to feel that being #19 means he’s going to need a few years, and I’m all for not rushing him, but he seems somewhat more ready than a lot of the guys who went before him, with less of a ceiling...I personally would rather have a right side of Trouba/Fox/Schneider than Trouba/Fox/Lundkvist. Schneider definitely seems more like a guy you win with and brings more of the identity the team is trying to develop. It’ll be interesting how it all shakes out.

In a year, or 2, it could be very interesting w all of BS, Robertson, Miller, Lundkvist and Reunanen pushing for bigleague icetime.
And Jones coming soon behind

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com

Sanderson, more presence, leadership and his competition too compared to Scheiders but i dont think hes the kind of player that will drive this defense for Schneiders. Sanderson have a Pietrangelo ceilling in my opinion.
Sanderson remind me of like a powerfoward but on defense.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

I've been afraid to make this comparison myself, but I see the same thing. My hesitation is because McD was (is) a legitimate #1 D and I'm not so sure that's where Schneider shakes out. But stylistically, it's a totally reasonable comp. There aren't many defensemen left who play that type of game because the primary focus seems to have shifted to guys who can create offensive opportunities from the back end. But having a player who consistently thwarts those opportunities is so underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad