NFL: 2020 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread (Cowboys & Texans players have COVID-19)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They almost blew it the week before against Seattle at home too. I think it was 27-7, and Seattle scored to make it 28-27 late, and, as happens these days, the Falcons were able to get into field goal range in like 20 seconds.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They almost blew it the week before against Seattle at home too. I think it was 27-7, and Seattle scored to make it 28-27 late, and, as happens these days, the Falcons were able to get into field goal range in like 20 seconds.

28-3 was so bad I forgot about the OP and this game too

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hopefully the NFL can come up with a stiffer punishment than the NCAA gave Ped State. But it's not like they deflated a football, afterall...

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Don't email what you can say over text, don't text what you can say on the phone, dont say over the phone what you can say in person, dont say in person what you can whisper.

The stupid part is it sounds like the owner was just trying to save a buck by using the Saints staff rather than simply footing the bill at a PR firm. She didn't insulate her team from her personal beliefs and now she has dragged the NFL and the Saints into a PR headache and potential litigation.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Saints ownership helped cover up child rape, they should have their ownership forfeited without compensation.

Would be kind of ironic if they had to sell the team or lose their ownership after Bensons widow fought his kids in a nasty court battle for the team.

I wonder if Mickey Loomis is involved. He’s super tight with ownership. He got off pretty easy with Bountygate so it be interesting if the NFL went all out this time

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Due processes are obviously always necessary, but if there is any smoke to the possible fire of the saints aiding and abetting children abusers, the saints need to be administered like a hundred times the power of the smu death penalty.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's tough to see a fit for Rivers at this point unless he's fine with being a vet back-up. He was bad season and I doubt it's going to get any better. I would rather take my chances with Winston if I was forced to choose one of them.

He was great in his prime but at this stage of his career I don't think his next move is the most interesting part of this conversation. What the Chargers do at QB now will be very interesting to watch. Brady? Teddy? Tua/Herbert? There's a lot of talent on that team.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Rivers is past it. Watching him this year was painful.

Him and Big Ben will be washed when they come back. This leaves the Chargers in a spot to draft a new QB, Pittsburgh should do the same.

I think Ben has at least 2 more years in him but it won’t be the same.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Since Rivers has moved to Florida...any of the teams there looking for a veteran QB?

Miami, Jacksonville or Tampa?

Miami is good if he does not care to win and just wants to simply live in Florida. He'd be a placeholder if they picked Tua/someone else or if they planned on tanking for Lawrence.

Jax is still tied to Foles, the dead cap hit after cutting him would be significant IIRC .

Tampa could be an option but I think Jameis should get one more chance with Arians. Both Palmer + Luck put up career high's in INT's in their first years under his system, they were fine after they adjusted to it.

Besides, are they really that much better off with Rivers? He'd end up throwing a bunch of picks like the 3 before him and is clearly on a downward trajectory.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
O'Brien created his own job security. The deck is stacked against anyone who is not O'Brien, and if the Texans regress, a new GM would be fired before he even had a chance to draft someone in the 1st round. You'd be hard pressed to find an aspiring front office executive to come to a team without their next 2 1st round picks (additionally they didn't have one that was 4OV 2 years ago), with a number of issues to clean up on both sides of the ball.

In a perfect world, yes, they should have a GM (and new coaching staff), but this is also a situation that O'Brien should have to deal with on his own. In that sense, this is the right thing to do. This is presuming they don't have some unqualified yes-man sit on that perch in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad