Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VIII - Mookie and Price to the Dodgers ( developing )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
That's fine if you're in running a small market team but this is the AL East with the NY Yankees. With that comes expectations of success. The oh well let's not try to win and become minor league team while other teams pay our home grown talent wont fly with the fans and media. What happens when devers wants a big deal or the next breakout prospect does, trade them off like we're the Oakland A's? It's no fun being a farm team for the big clubs

Hyperbole much? This is literally the first time this has happened and it’s with a guy reportedly seeking the second highest contract in MLB history....and north of 400 million. You don’t think you’re going to the extreme a bit much?

‘becoming a minor league team’....really man??? ‘being a farm club for the big clubs’...again this is unprecedented. Tone down the extremism and see this for what it really is.

Reactions: bbfan419

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Hyperbole much? This is literally the first time this has happened and it’s with a guy reportedly seeking the second highest contract in MLB history....and north of 400 million. You don’t think you’re going to the extreme a bit much?

‘becoming a minor league team’....really man??? ‘being a farm club for the big clubs’...again this is unprecedented. Tone down the extremism and see this for what it really is.

The first time?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So if SD is "offering the best prospect", what does that mean to those of us who were hoping for some sort of Verdugo + Gonsolin ++ package? (or was that a pipedream to begin with?)

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
So if SD is "offering the best prospect", what does that mean to those of us who were hoping for some sort of Verdugo + Gonsolin ++ package? (or was that a pipedream to begin with?)
Not sure it means anything. Campusano is rated higher than Gonsolin, but Gonsolin is still a Top 100 prospect, and has the added benefit of being a little closer to the majors than Campusano, who will probably start the year in AA.

For me, at least, Verdugo, Gonsolin and a prospect is better than Myers, Naylor, Lucchesi, and Campusano.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not sure it means anything. Campusano is rated higher than Gonsolin, but Gonsolin is still a Top 100 prospect, and has the added benefit of being a little closer to the majors than Campusano, who will probably start the year in AA.

For me, at least, Verdugo, Gonsolin and a prospect is better than Myers, Naylor, Lucchesi, and Campusano.

Thanks man.

I, like many here, just want this to end. I've spent all week having to come to terms that Mookie is very likely to never be a Red Sox for life. I know it's just the business aspect, but it still sucks. I just want it over so that we can begin to move on and hope for the best in 2020.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thanks man.

I, like many here, just want this to end. I've spent all week having to come to terms that Mookie is very likely to never be a Red Sox for life. I know it's just the business aspect, but it still sucks. I just want it over so that we can begin to move on and hope for the best in 2020.

This is where I am too. I love Mookie, he's the best RF the Sox have had going all the way back to Dwight Evans (yeah I'm showing my age here) only better. Yet it is obvious he does not want to remain in Boston. Fine, that's his right. Sox management needs to stop screwing around and get a deal done. Rip the bandage off the wound so to speak. The Sox have other issues they need to address - finding a new manager and figuring out their pitching rotation to name two.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Alicat

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is where I am too. I love Mookie, he's the best RF the Sox have had going all the way back to Dwight Evans (yeah I'm showing my age here) only better. Yet it is obvious he does not want to remain in Boston. Fine, that's his right. Sox management needs to stop screwing around and get a deal done. Rip the bandage off the wound so to speak. The Sox have other issues they need to address - finding a new manager and figuring out their pitching rotation to name two.

I don't know if I'm of the opinion that he doesn't want the remain in Boston. I believe that he does want to see what his UFA market is, and will probably go to the team that offers him the most. That COULD be the Red Sox, if they wanted it to be. However, I truly think that's another conversation altogether.

I'm a bit miffed that it appears that SD is offering the best prospect AND the most pieces. Really would rather see him go to LA, just because I think they would definitely make a sizeable offer for him and that he'd end up re-signing there...also, I like what they are supposedly open to offering better than SD.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Did the Sox really offer the Rocket a 5 year contract for $5M, $4M, $3M, $2M, and $1M to match his projected decline or did I (or Gammo) make that up?

I guess he just didn't want to be in Boston and that's why he signed with Toronto.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I mean, the Red Sox just hired the Assistant GM of a team that won 96 games last year with a $65 million payroll.

It's certainly possible that Chaim Bloom is looking at this and thinking that he can spend $35 million a year better than just throwing it all at one guy, no matter how good Mookie is.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Agree, if Mookie really wanted Boston and no one else he would have most likely signed by now, also if he really wants $40M+ per year, no thanks he will be 28 and by the time he is mid 30's could really be slowing down. I don't want to give the guy away for scarps, but if they can get a good return with roster players and prospects I am at this point ready to move on. Then trade Price to the Angels for whatever.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

He's the 50th best prospect in baseball and their 4th. That's horrible as the top piece in a deal for Betts, unless their 5th, 6th and 7th prospects are going too. Dodgers best prospect after that is 63 in Gray and then Ruiz. Maybe Verdugo, Gray and Ruiz.

Reactions: RockLobster

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

The rumors have been that players like Dustin May, CJ Abrams, and Luis Patino have been kept out of talks, so Campusano is probably the next best prospect after that.

I think the truth is that we don't really know what the full package is. The stuff that has come out this week has clearly been from the Padres/Dodgers sides. The only Red Sox reporter with anything has been Alex Speier, and he's mostly been just been confirming talks versus adding his own information.

A couple of the national guys have talked about the Red Sox being under pressure to trade Betts before the season, so I think the Padres and Dodgers are just trying to add pressure as well with their leaks.

Keith Law had a chat yesterday and he seemed to have similar thinking as Buster Olney that the Red Sox are going to get a better deal out of this than most expect, so we'll see what happens. It's clear that Bloom has been patient, since he hasn't really done much other than in churning the back end of their 40-man roster. I think he also probably realizes this could be the defining moment of his Red Sox GM career, so he doesn't want to **** it up.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Agree with what you said but their rotation is set barring any additions from the Mookie deal

Sale
price
Rodriguez
Eovaldi
Perez

obviously some injury concerns in there but that’s what it’s gonna be if everybody is healthy

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Basically if the padres aren’t going to put Patino in there then the Sox should just say piss off and go with Verdugo

Verdugo isn’t that much older than Campusano, can play RF this year then switch to CF next year, and has proven he can hit in the bigs (thus far at least)

I really like Campusano as a prospect but at the end of the day that .320 average is inflated. I think if he makes it he’s gonna be a .260-.270 15-20 homer guy with solid defense. That’s incredibly valuable but your gambling on his continued development as he was in high A last year

Reactions: bbfan419

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
tenor.gif

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dodgers ain’t letting him get away

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Basically if the padres aren’t going to put Patino in there then the Sox should just say piss off and go with Verdugo

Verdugo isn’t that much older than Campusano, can play RF this year then switch to CF next year, and has proven he can hit in the bigs (thus far at least)

I really like Campusano as a prospect but at the end of the day that .320 average is inflated. I think if he makes it he’s gonna be a .260-.270 15-20 homer guy with solid defense. That’s incredibly valuable but your gambling on his continued development as he was in high A last year

Definitely feels like Verdugo is easily the best asset that has been made available. Like you, Campusano's success happening in the California League has me a little bit concerned about him.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad