Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VIII - Mookie and Price to the Dodgers ( developing )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
If the Sox want to get below the CBT, when do they need to do it by? Spring Training? Opening Day? Or the Trade Deadline?

At the end of the upcoming season IIRC, so I guess it has to be resolved around the deadline.

My understanding is that Price will only be traded if the other team agrees to take on all or at least most of his contract. And if the Sox were to retain around 30m, then Prices becomes at least a neutral commodity. 3/60 is not outrageous for a 2.5ish WAR pitcher, it's pretty much the market rate in terms of WAR$.

The Sox will not diminish Betts' value by attaching Price to him. It does nothing for them, the saved money cannot be re-invested this off-season anyway.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have no doubt the Sox will spend over 300 million for a player. Unfortunately it wont be for a player as good as Betts and it will be a reactionary move to media and fan pressure after they are 10 games out by May 15 and there is no reason to watch or spend money on tickets. My question is who will be the next Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford. Cant wait for that disaster, at least it will make great radio

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
At the end of the upcoming season IIRC, so I guess it has to be resolved around the deadline.

My understanding is that Price will only be traded if the other team agrees to take on all or at least most of his contract. And if the Sox were to retain around 30m, then Prices becomes at least a neutral commodity. 3/60 is not outrageous for a 2.5ish WAR pitcher, it's pretty much the market rate in terms of WAR$.

The Sox will not diminish Betts' value by attaching Price to him. It does nothing for them, the saved money cannot be re-invested this off-season anyway.

Came here to post this. If the Sox pick up about 8 million per year they get under the luxury tax while turning David Price into an actual asset. Because as much as some people hate him he is still a good pitcher. The health is a concern but we are also living in a world where odorizzi got 17.5 for next year And price is just flat out better. If you are a two war starting pitcher You get paid

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If they’re dealing Betts the one and only objective needs to be getting the best return possible. If they use this trade as a way to shed a contract I will be livid.

Fortunately, I think (hope) Bloom is smart enough to realize this move could very well define his tenure and an underwhelming return will not sit well.

Reactions: bbfan419

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Fine by me. Trade Mookie solo and figure out what to do with Price later. He may even have more value at the deadline when teams exactly know if they are contending or not or when a SP goes down unexpectedly.

As of right now, trading Betts without taking on salary would bring us below the 209 threshold, not by much, but it would be enough.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If they’re dealing Betts the one and only objective needs to be getting the best return possible. If they use this trade as a way to shed a contract I will be livid.

Fortunately, I think (hope) Bloom is smart enough to realize this move could very well define his tenure and an underwhelming return will not sit well.

Is Bloom even calling the shots? I've no doubt he'd take the fall but this desperate move to rush and move mookie seem like it's from above. Dodgers play this right theyll give up minimal assets

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Why are you so ultra negative about this? Can you really not see any objectivity past they’re dumping your favorite player?

Bc I want to win this year with a proven star? Were in a division with the Yankees who will celebrate this move and have the division wrapped up by June.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Weird for SD to be so adamant about keeping Grisham when he should be a DH

he made that terrible play but for the most part he should be ok in the corners

Naylor on the other hand is a complete stiff in the outfield

weird for Grisham to be kept out of Mookie talks though....although they did move Urias and Lauer for him so they probably like him (and Davies)

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Yankees will likely have the division wrapped up by June with or without Mookie.

That's fine if you're in running a small market team but this is the AL East with the NY Yankees. With that comes expectations of success. The oh well let's not try to win and become minor league team while other teams pay our home grown talent wont fly with the fans and media. What happens when devers wants a big deal or the next breakout prospect does, trade them off like we're the Oakland A's? It's no fun being a farm team for the big clubs

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m already sick of the season and it hasn’t even started.

Just trade Mookie already. He’s not going to re-sign here.

My only question is who fills the rotation spot that is sure to be open if Price goes?

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I’m already sick of the season and it hasn’t even started.

Just trade Mookie already. He’s not going to re-sign here.

My only question is who fills the rotation spot that is sure to be open if Price goes?
'

144946742.jpg

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
That's fine if you're in running a small market team but this is the AL East with the NY Yankees. With that comes expectations of success. The oh well let's not try to win and become minor league team while other teams pay our home grown talent wont fly with the fans and media. What happens when devers wants a big deal or the next breakout prospect does, trade them off like we're the Oakland A's? It's no fun being a farm team for the big clubs
Maybe in the new cba negotiations the players will realize they agreed to what is essentially a soft cap in the last agreement and they will try to get it removed it will come at a cost though they probably whould have to agree to pace of play rules.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
This reads as if you think the Red Sox are going to cut their payroll from $230 million to $110 million permanently.

They've spent more money on payroll than any team in baseball over the past 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->