Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VIII - Mookie and Price to the Dodgers ( developing )

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
What should have happened was that Dombrowski (World Series or bust for 40 years with mostly busts) shouldn't have handed $29m per year to a broken down Sale, and he shoudn't have handed $16m per year to Eovaldi, who has been broken down for most of his career except for three months in Boston. That would be $45m with which you could have used $35m to pay Mookie who would be on the field every freakin' day.

I think this is what got Dombro rightfully fired. He should be to blame, not a player who is only seeking market value.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What should have happened was that Dombrowski (World Series or bust for 40 years with mostly busts) shouldn't have handed $29m per year to a broken down Sale, and he shoudn't have handed $16m per year to Eovaldi, who has been broken down for most of his career except for three months in Boston. That would be $45m with which you could have used $35m to pay Mookie who would be on the field every freakin' day.

I think this is what got Dombro rightfully fired. He should be to blame, not a player who is only seeking market value.

The Sale contract was beyond dumb, especially from a timing perspective, but there is no way the owners didn’t have a say in it/sign off on it.

Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Trade is going to happen either tomorrow morning after the dust settles from Kobe’s tribute tonight or within three hours of kick off on Sunday, I just know how that’s gonna be how they operate lol

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Trade is going to happen either tomorrow morning after the dust settles from Kobe’s tribute tonight or within three hours of kick off on Sunday, I just know how that’s gonna be how they operate lol

The sooner the better, so that we can begin to process everything.

Reactions: CDJ

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
As a fan why not? Why do you care what he gets paid as long as he's the best player? There is no hard cap in baseball so who cares. Sox have a lot of crappy contracts, pairing guys off like Betts is probably the worst way to balance it out.

Because I don’t trust this ownership to be responsible after they give him the money. Sure I’ve seen four World Series but it’s been with four different cores because they routinely f*** themselves over with terrible contracts. You think they’d have learned in 2012 but they didn’t. I don’t trust them to put a competent team on the field paying one guy 45m a year plus as good as he is I don’t even think he’s worth that.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
This is overstating things quite a bit.

I’ve been trying to give KrejciMVP a break cause he’s clearly super emotional about this Mookie situation but then I see him over in the Backes thread saying the team needs to take all emotion out of it and just tell him he needs to play or be suspended or whatever....ie grain of salt

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I’ve been trying to give KrejciMVP a break cause he’s clearly super emotional about this Mookie situation but then I see him over in the Backes thread saying the team needs to take all emotion out of it and just tell him he needs to play or be suspended or whatever....ie grain of salt

Different situation with backes and Betts. I'm sure you have your opinion on both and that's fine

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Sale contract was beyond dumb, especially from a timing perspective, but there is no way the owners didn’t have a say in it/sign off on it.

Exactly. Henry saying now, well after the fact, that he disagreed with DD's philosophy and approach is a joke. You can't absolve yourself of the Sale contract because you absolutely signed off on it, you idiot. Nobody in their right mind thinks you weren't involved and we all know you approved it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is overstating things quite a bit.

No it's not. This is a team that paid David Price $30-$31 mill per year for the last 4 seasons, and it inflates to $32 mill for the next 3 years starting this season, and they haven't offered anything close to that to Betts, despite Betts being a better, more consistent player and more important, imo.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Because I don’t trust this ownership to be responsible after they give him the money. Sure I’ve seen four World Series but it’s been with four different cores because they routinely **** themselves over with terrible contracts. You think they’d have learned in 2012 but they didn’t. I don’t trust them to put a competent team on the field paying one guy 45m a year plus as good as he is I don’t even think he’s worth that.

There's a big difference between spending unwisely in free agency to make a splash and create a buzz than there is by resigning your own free agents though. For example, we know what Betts has done here in Boston. There is no speculation on how he'd perform because he's done it already. Where them signing a guy like Price for that ridiculous money was foolhardy because Price and Boston is not a good mix and never will be. The fans and the team expect more and the pressure is greater. For a guy like Price, that's a toxic mix.

The team using their own stupidity on signing the big name just to make news isn't anyone's fault but their own, and they don't get to use it as justification for letting one of the best players in all of baseball leave, especially for a shit return.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's truly stunning to me how many fans have bought into the front office's narrative on this Betts trade and don't see how ridiculous this entire situation is. The lack of critical thinking is astounding. Baa baa little black sheep. Baa baa...:laugh:

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
No it's not. This is a team that paid David Price $30-$31 mill per year for the last 4 seasons, and it inflates to $32 mill for the next 3 years starting this season, and they haven't offered anything close to that to Betts, despite Betts being a better, more consistent player and more important, imo.
The David Price contract is an overreaction to letting John Lester walk. It will probably happen again to if Mookie Bets has another MVP season or wins a World Series somewhere else. The RedSox will try to overcompensate and make someone like Kris Bryant the next highest paid player in mlb history.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The David Price contract is an overreaction to letting John Lester walk. It will probably happen again to if Mookie Bets has another MVP season or wins a World Series somewhere else. The RedSox will try to over overcompensate and make someone like Kris Bryant the next highest paid player in mlb history.

Exactly. And it will be just as dumb now as it was then. Rather than burn money in free agency, retain your own guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad