Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VII - The Mookie dilemma: Red Sox face franchise-changing decision

Who will become the manager of the Boston Red Sox in 2020

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Reset by not accepting a garbage offer? Interesting

I responded to someone else with a similar sentiment the other day that I would agree a 10yr 300M offer is not fair market value, since it was offered after the Trout/Machado/Harper deals.

However, the 8yr 200M offer, in 2018 (before those were signed) was definitely a fair market value at the time, at least in my opinion, considering that it would have paid him more than Trout was making at the time.

Obviously the market reset itself with those megadeals, and I blame the Red Sox for presenting such a garbage offer after that, but I just don't think they made a bad offer in 2018 relative to other contracts that were existing w/ time left on them (Trout) or just signed (Altuve).

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Reset by not accepting a garbage offer? Interesting

No reset like break the contract record. I would not give David Pastrnak the biggest contract in the NHL And I am absolutely in love with the kid. He is my valentine

I think that is what Mookie wants to do and I think he will be able to do it With another great season this year

also it is not just prospects at this point when we are talking about Verdugo. He was a very valuable player last year for the Dodgers and he’s got a ton of control left. To give you perspective he was significantly better than Nimmo Last season and he is younger

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
If Chaim Bloom can leverage the Padre offer against the Dodgers and get them to part with Lux, I'd be happy.

Verdugo++ is a good return for one year of Mookie if he's insistent on going to the free agent market after 2020. And if we get rid of Price in the process, all the better.
I would trade Lux for Betts straight up.
Bob Nightengale mentions in a San Diego radio spot that Tony Gonsolin might be part of the package. He has a nasty split.

Thanks for posting.
Liking what I am seeing in this clip. He has a nasty change of pace and can dial it up to 95 mph. Looks like he could be a closer?
Reminds me of Keith Foulke, with a better FB.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would trade Lux for Betts straight up.

Thanks for posting.
Liking what I am seeing in this clip. He has a nasty change of pace and can dial it up to 95 mph. Looks like he could be a closer?
Reminds me of Keith Foulke, with a better FB.

pretty sure he was a college reliever and The Dodgers made some tweaks and he shot up through the system as a starter. I think he was a senior sign too, his ascent was truly something

Edit: just checked, he even began his pro career as a reliever before the dodgers made some changes

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Speier did a breakdown of 100+ mill contracts

42 total

13 averaged 4+ for WAR
11 did 2-4
17 (!) averaged 0-2
1 was negative

I think Mookie will be in that 4+ WAR tier but it’s a fascinating breakdown

Reactions: Gator Mike

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Speier did a breakdown of 100+ mill contracts

42 total

13 averaged 4+ for WAR
11 did 2-4
17 (!) averaged 0-2
1 was negative

I think Mookie will be in that 4+ WAR tier but it’s a fascinating breakdown

Who was the negative?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Who was the negative?

cant access the article now due to the globe but just reviewing the $100 mill contracts given out over history it’s probably Ryan Howard or Chris Davis

I just looked up Howard and he produced -3.0 WAR over the life of his 5 year deal lol. That would have to be him

Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he goes to LA I do think he stays there, I don’t see anybody topping their contract offer for him. Friedman has set them up in a beautiful spot financially

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dodgers looking at this as if he will be signed which bodes well for Sox return

And that to me says everything. The narrative the Sox have promoted is that he wants out of Boston and is going to free agency, but him countering their offers tells me he just wants to maximize his value and make as much as possible. If LA thinks he's willing to resign, that says to me that Boston doesn't want to pay him what is ostensibly fair market value and if they had hit his number, he'd have stayed.

So now it all comes down to the return. The one from SD was f***ing putrid. LA better beat that by a lot or this will be a disaster for the team for the next 4-5 years.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And that to me says everything. The narrative the Sox have promoted is that he wants out of Boston and is going to free agency, but him countering their offers tells me he just wants to maximize his value and make as much as possible. If LA thinks he's willing to resign, that says to me that Boston doesn't want to pay him what is ostensibly fair market value and if they had hit his number, he'd have stayed.

So now it all comes down to the return. The one from SD was ****ing putrid. LA better beat that by a lot or this will be a disaster for the team for the next 4-5 years.

All of a sudden Boston doesn't want to swallow all their terrible contracts, becomes a Mets northeast and counts them on their payroll (Wright, Cespedes) and deals their best player instead of paying him. You can take the GM outta Tampa Bay but not the Tampa Bay outta the GM.

Reactions: LSCII

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

So now it all comes down to the return. The one from SD was ****ing putrid. LA better beat that by a lot or this will be a disaster for the team for the next 4-5 years.
They could likely get him 10:360

they want to reset and restock

they don’t want to pay him the 35 AVV

Reactions: CDJ and LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Mcadam Is saying that the Dodgers are basically trying to decide whether or not they want price as well and that their front office is mixed on that

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
...which is interesting to me.

Not sure I'd be real happy about depressing Mookie's trade value by attaching David Price when Price's value might be at an all-time low.
Friedman ain’t that dumb

I’d want to see him pitching in real games

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I have no interest in moving Price for the exact reason above...his value is at an all-time low. If they want to deal him at least let him try to rebuild his value this season (+ it takes another year of salary off his contract).

I hate that they seem to be treating him like he has a Sandoval-like contract and would basically give him away (and would almost certainly get less in return if they were to include him in any Betts deal). Is he overpaid? Yes. Is he still a solid SP? Yes. I think they still may be competitive even if they move Betts, but their pitching is already such a massive question mark, dealing him at this point (where there are no good options out there unless a SP comes back) would basically be throwing in the towel on the season.

You’re the Boston Red Sox. You should be using your financial might to your advantage. Keep Price so you get a better package for Betts...don’t deal him and end up with a worse package.

Reactions: Gator Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad