Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VII - The Mookie dilemma: Red Sox face franchise-changing decision

Who will become the manager of the Boston Red Sox in 2020

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pete Abraham responding to someone on Twitter, and his tone makes it sound like he knows that Mookie is gone to LA (of course I could just be projecting...)

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Reactions: smithformeragent

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm curious for you all here (and some have already answered):

If it is LA, what would you imagine the most likely return being? (so not necessarily what I/we would WANT the return to be)

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
It appears the Dodgers haven been serious all along. That's a very good position for the Sox to be in to have multiple teams from the same division fighting for a player.

Again: No matter if Mookie is an expensive rental, he's as great of a player that has been moved in quite a while. Players like that usually don't get traded. So he's a game changer for a team, especially if that team was the Dodgers.
Maybe the Dodgers gave in a little bit due to the Padres strong interest.

If there has to be a ML-ready piece from LA, I gotta imagine Verdugo would be the prime candidate. Maybe Pollock if Dodgers want to shed out payroll. Or Gonsolin. But if Price is not being traded before the season starts, the rotation appears to be full (Sale, Price, Eovaldi, Rodriguez, Perez)

But why don't they just take Price on top of it?
Betts, Price + 10-15m per (we would still get under the 209 threshold) for Verdugo and two of Gonsolin/Downs/Gray/Ruiz

baseballtradevalues says that Betts for Verdugo would be kinda fair in terms of $ value, but I doubt the Sox would move Betts in an equal value deal. The Dodgers extra value comes out of winning a world series, which as I said before, is infinitely more valuable than some prospects. So we would need it to be kinda lopsided in our favor.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
LA should be all over Betts

I’d be stunned if he didn’t resign there

he could get out of the fish bowl

any deal with Verdugo is great by me

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Betts and Price (w the Sox paying ~23 mill) for Verdugo, Stripling, Ruiz, and Gonsolin

The Sox reset the luxury tax, get a good young OF, 2 quality major league arms, and a catching prospect

The Dodgers get the NL pennant and probably the world series

Reactions: Scruffy and DKH

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Keith law in his chat said Verdugo, Ruiz, and a couple non top 100 guys wouldn’t get it done because we’re fielding offers from multiple teams

I find that encouraging because I honestly wouldn’t mind that trade lol

Reactions: Mr Cartmenez

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Keith law in his chat said Verdugo, Ruiz, and a couple non top 100 guys wouldn’t get it done because we’re fielding offers from multiple teams

Verdugo & Downs works very well

Reactions: CDJ

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim

Thought it was kinda close due to what was being reported by the San Diego media (no top 5 prospects involved).

Think we need to aim higher. As I said previously, Red Sox have multiple teams in a bidding war and they have an asset that is almost never being made available. Top 5 player in his prime.

They really need to be blown out of the water and even the SD guys said the Padres were willing to give in...seems like they just want to offer more quantity.

My favorite trade with the Dodgers would probably be (assuming Lux and May are not available):
Betts, Price and some money for Pollock/Pederson (salary dump), Verdugo, Downs one of Gonsolin/Gray and Cartaya. (not that high on Ruiz myself and we still have Vazquez).

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think Verdugo has to be part of a Dodgers deal. Then really any of a few pitchers, I'd prefer guys that have some MLB experience & could contribute as soon as this year (Gonsolin, May, Santana)

Reactions: N o o d l e s

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Betts and Price (w the Sox paying ~23 mill) for Verdugo, Stripling, Ruiz, and Gonsolin

The Sox reset the luxury tax, get a good young OF, 2 quality major league arms, and a catching prospect

The Dodgers get the NL pennant and probably the world series
This is highway robbery for the BoSox, no way the Dodgers do this deal.
We will be lucky to get one of Verdugo, Ruiz and Gonsolin.
I think the other players the Dodgers have on the table include:
Pollock
Taylor
Alexander

I would be thinking outside the box on this trade and add someone like Dalbec to the deal. The Dodgers have a weakness at 3B and need a great prospect. Justin Turner will be 35 this year and will be on a downward trend.
We have Devers there for a long time and Casas our best prospect needs a position in 2 years and will play 1B.
Adding someone like Dalbec should get us Verdugo, Stripling, Ruiz and Gonsolin.
Verdugo plays RF for the next 5 years, we have a great young catcher and one potential high end pitcher in Gonsolin and a decent spot starter / mid reliever in Stripling who was an all-star a few years ago.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Sources: Red Sox talk Betts trade with Dodgers

The Boston Red Sox are deep into talks with the Los Angeles Dodgers about All-Star right fielder Mookie Betts, according to sources.

The two sides have talked about possible trade combinations that involve veteran left-hander David Price, and some that don't include Price.

The Red Sox see the benefit of opening spring training without the question of Betts' future hanging over the team, sources said. Betts, 27, will be eligible for free agency after the 2020 season, and the Red Sox have repeatedly broached the idea of signing him to a long-term deal, without success. Rival executives think it's inevitable that the Red Sox will trade Betts before the July 31 deadline.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If Chaim Bloom can leverage the Padre offer against the Dodgers and get them to part with Lux, I'd be happy.

Verdugo++ is a good return for one year of Mookie if he's insistent on going to the free agent market after 2020. And if we get rid of Price in the process, all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad