2020 HHOF Class (Iginla, Hossa, Wilson, Lowe, St-Pierre, Holland)

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Again, this I don’t get.

You either deserve to be in or you don’t. What’s the point of waiting to induct a player if he deserves to be in? To make sure he knows there’s better players than him already in?
Yeah the first ballot thing is super weird, it's entirely dependent on circumstance not really the player themselves. Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Kopitar, Price, Quick could all easily retire the same year, I suspect most of them have been called first ballot. On the flip side Joe Mullen got in on the first ballot in a slow year, while I think he's clearly a Hall of Famer I don't know if a lot of people would have called him first ballot in these kind of discussions.

Reactions: pi314

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Again, this I don’t get.

You either deserve to be in or you don’t. What’s the point of waiting to induct a player if he deserves to be in? To make sure he knows there’s better players than him already in?

dunno

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Yeah the first ballot thing is super weird, it's entirely dependent on circumstance not really the player themselves. Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Kopitar, Price, Quick could all easily retire the same year, I suspect most of them have been called first ballot. On the flip side Joe Mullen got in on the first ballot in a slow year, while I think he's clearly a Hall of Famer I don't know if a lot of people would have called him first ballot in these kind of discussions.

Is Quick really first Ballot HOFer? I doubt it.

Reactions: LuckyDay
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I love Iginla but I also think he is quite borderline.... he is as borderline as it gets though. I could see his case, but im not sure tbh.

As borderline as it gets?

He has 2 Rockets, an Art Ross, a Pearson, 625 goals and 1,300 points. That is not a borderline player for the HOF.

I don't know what you want the HHOF to be, but it is probably different than what it actually is.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Pretty surprised the wasn't bumped because of Ken Holland's inclusion as a builder.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Mogilny won world junior gold, Olympic gold and world championship gold in the same year while being key contributor on two of those teams. 76 goal rocket, cup, 1000 points, first defector. Half the damn Hall has a worse resume than that. The Bure-Fedorov-Mogilny connection is also extremely noteworthy in fame terms.

As for Hall of Fame comparables in terms of on paper performance, Paul Kariya had a similar career but a little bit worse in every measure and got in not too long ago.
So while I believe Kariya shouldn't be in, Kariya has a lot better points placements over Mogilny. Counting-stats differences can largely be laid at a) injuries in Kariya's case, and b) playing his entire prime in the dead puck era.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I can’t see Bobby Lou making it on first ballot I think him and zetterberg go in eventually I’ll say Bobby Lou in 2023 & Hank in 2024 or 25, this next class I think will be Theoren fleury the sedins if they aren’t snubbed I could see them leaving the sedins out and putting tkachuk & JR in tkachuk deserves it as much as JR does they were both the faces of the coyotes from the late 90s until 2001. And I think mogilny goes in this year now if fleury doesn’t go in who replaces him I have two overlooked players Rod brindamour & Pierre turgeon.

Kidding of course. Bobby Lou won't make it but neither will Fleury. And I think JR is out now, at least for the time being, having been fired from comments on his podcast. Turgeon is not going too because he played for Buffalo against TO.

As I've pointed out before, there's a good number of the 18 board members of the HHoF who's only credentials is they work for the City of Toronto.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
As borderline as it gets?

He has 2 Rockets, an Art Ross, a Pearson, 625 goals and 1,300 points. That is not a borderline player for the HOF.

I don't know what you want the HHOF to be, but it is probably different than what it actually is.

Had he played for Montreal, he would have the Hart trophy too. Whatever happened to the guy that won it? When's he up for HHoF?

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
525 goals, 1134 points, GREAT defensive player. Really solidified Black Hawks and was a BIG reason they won 3 times. If he played Center, he would've won multiple Selkes. No question Hossa should be in HHOF.

One of the greatest two-way players of a generation. A few years from now people will have to explain Bergeron's case since the appreciation for two-way forwards seems to be quite low on this board.

Reactions: sabremike

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Kidding of course. Bobby Lou won't make it but neither will Fleury. And I think JR is out now, at least for the time being, having been fired from comments on his podcast. Turgeon is not going too because he played for Buffalo against TO.

As I've pointed out before, there's a good number of the 18 board members of the HHoF who's only credentials is they work for the City of Toronto.
Saying fleury won’t make it is an understatement he was the face of the flames before iginla became the face of the franchise.

Reactions: Statto

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

Turgeon also played for the isles, habs, blues, stars and Avalanche.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

Bobby Lou played on some really crappy teams though and the fact he won over 450 games is remarkable. He didn’t have any superstars in New York or Florida.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Bobby Lou played on some really crappy teams though and the fact he won over 450 games is remarkable. He didn’t have any superstars in New York or Florida.

True, but I also thought he played his best on teams where that were weaker whether that was his first Florida stint, or early on in his Vancouver run.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
AM has a retroactive Rocket.

Dude scored 76 goals in a season.

I dunno, I know he had a major lull in the middle of his peak, but I sorta think he's a shoo-in.

Lead the League in goals (pre-Rocket trophy)
1000 points
Cup winner

Seems to hit most of the major check-boxes.

No he really doesn't though.

Along with that first place he has a 3rd and 6th place finish.

For points it's a 7th and 9th.

Throw in a pretty poor playoff resume, his SC year he had a line of 23-4-3-7 plus 1 (good for 11th in team scoring) was 5th on the team forwards in TOI and certainly behind 3 Dmen and the goalie in order of importance.

In his peak 6 years (adding a 7th around it will actually make it worse for him) he was 11th in points, the next 3 players were all very good 2 way centers, and 2nd in golas which is maybe the only thing that might help him here.

Even the second place in goals is offset by too much to make the HHOF IMO.

NHL Stats

He simply wasn't good enough or consistent enough to be a HHOF player.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

Throw in a pretty poor playoff resume, his SC year he had a line of 23-4-3-7 plus 1 (good for 11th in team scoring) was 5th on the team forwards in TOI and certainly behind 3 Dmen and the goalie in order of importance.

In his peak 6 years (adding a 7th around it will actually make it worse for him) he was 11th in points, the next 3 players were all very good 2 way centers, and 2nd in golas which is maybe the only thing that might help him here.

NHL Stats

Would you say someone like kovalev is more of a hall of fame talent than mogilny cuz if you do your wrong. Kovalev got the C for the eastern conference in the 09 all star game and in the 06 olympics for Russia which should’ve gone to yashin.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

NHL Stats

Would you say now with lundqvist retired he’s a lock for the 2024 class.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Would you say someone like kovalev is more of a hall of fame talent than mogilny cuz if you do your wrong. Kovalev got the C for the eastern conference in the 09 all star game and in the 06 olympics for Russia which should’ve gone to yashin.

To me, both had Hall of Fame talent. Neither had a Hall of fame career.

It's semantics but unless you're one of the 4 best player not inducted, you're not a lock for any particular year.

That said, unless Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr and Malkin/Kane also retire this year, Lundqvist will get in as soon he's eligible. So yeah, he'll probably get the call in 2024.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Kovalev isn't going into the HHOF unless he buys a ticket.

On a pure talent level both Russians are pretty even but Mogliny looked like the better prospect early on to be sure.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Pretty much this on both counts.

To me, both had Hall of Fame talent. Neither had a Hall of fame career.

It's semantics but unless you're one of the 4 best player not inducted, you're not a lock for any particular year.

That said, unless Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr and Malkin/Kane also retire this year, Lundqvist will get in as soon he's eligible. So yeah, he'll probably get the call in 2024.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kovalev vs Mogilny is not even a comparison for me unless you are talking strictly wizardry with the puck on your stick. Almo blows Kovalev out of the water in terms of full package. He maybe didn’t (ok - he certainly didn’t) maximize his career in the NHL to the level he could have (and I think most of us know by now his story and his thoughts on coming to N.A.) but in terms of pure raw ability on a 200’ sheet of ice he was certainly one the most talented forwards of his generation.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad