GDT: 2020 Free Agency Part II: Embrace the Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If we get Toews for 2.5 on a contract longer than 2 years, Sakic is truly a master at his craft... That would be robbery.
That would be pretty awful actually, one of Joe's few blunders in quite a while.

No matter what the $ value is, any 1 or 2 year deal for Toews is a blunder. You dont acquire a quality #3D like that, give up pretty decent value to get him, and turn around and sign him to his perfect contract that walks him right into free agency.

We have plenty of cap space to get him signed at 4-4.5M for a 4-6 year term, that needs to be the deal they get to.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
That would be pretty awful actually, one of Joe's few blunders in quite a while.

No matter what the $ value is, any 1 or 2 year deal for Toews is a blunder. You dont acquire a quality #3D like that, give up pretty decent value to get him, and turn around and sign him to his perfect contract that walks him right into free agency.

We have plenty of cap space to get him signed at 4-4.5M for a 4-6 year term, that needs to be the deal they get to.

That's why I said a contract longer than two years :)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Wonder what Hamonic’s contract will end up looking like. If he’s a 1-1.5m player I want him. I know it’s another body blocking Byram/Timmins but a RHD that can PK is still a need. Especially since EJ getting hurt is a matter of “when” instead of “if”.
How about getting a forward that can PK?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How about getting a forward that can PK?
uHAItb6.png

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I gotta say, it's nice to not see a ton of trade proposal threads going after the Avs and trying to pick the bones of a rebuilding team for insulting returns. Chicago is getting that treatment now, everybody wants Toews all of a sudden despite his unmovable cap hit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I very rarely venture over to the main boards, but when I do I see a bunch of Avs fans I'm not familiar with who must not post here much, if at all. :huh:

Yeah there's a handful of them on the main board that don't post here. Can't say we're missing much.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It really is crazy how little space there is to go around and how many decent FAs are left out there.

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we picked up a few really solid guys on vet min deals to round out the team. Whether we’d have the cap space to do that now, or be forced to wait until the season starts for lower cap purposes....well that’s the province of the resident capwiz of our bunch @Richard88.
If Toews signs for $4m AAV we'll only have ~$273k in capspace with a 22 man roster. So any further signing would need to be on close to league minimum and would effectively bump whoever is the 13th forward (eg. O'Connor/Kaut) down to the AHL (and possibly bump Jost/Bellemare from 12th to 13th forward)

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Toews signs for $4m AAV we'll only have ~$273k in capspace with a 22 man roster. So any further signing would need to be on close to league minimum and would effectively bump whoever is the 13th forward (eg. O'Connor/Kaut) down to the AHL (and possibly bump Jost/Bellemare from 12th to 13th forward)

I believe the team cap is nearly $6M, so there is a little space remaining.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
I wonder if most teams are waiting for arb and shit to be over before offering more contracts, and that's why it's been so quiet lately on the signing front

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I believe the team cap is nearly $6M, so there is a little space remaining.
That $6m doesn't include Toews, a 13th forward, or 7D. Once you add the 13th forward and 7D at ~$800k a piece you're suddenly down to ~$4.4m to sign Toews and hopefully have a little bit of breathing room for cap accrual to account for Makar's bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad