OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Games like this are why I hate GDTs. Giants obviously are inexperienced and still have a year or two to go before they are real contenders, but they played decently and a more experienced team could easily have turned that into a win. And this is against what looks like a very good team in the Steelers by the way. An effort like that turns several losses last season (Cardinals, Lions, Bears Jets, the Eagles even) into wins.

However, you read GDTs (not just on here) and it's mostly complaining and hatred for the team.

Saquon also needs to play better. You need a lot more from him than 6 yards on 15 carries.

Reactions: ponzu4u

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Games like this are why I hate GDTs. Giants obviously are inexperienced and still have a year or two to go before they are real contenders, but they played decently and a more experienced team could easily have turned that into a win. And this is against what looks like a very good team in the Steelers by the way. An effort like that turns several losses last season (Cardinals, Lions, Bears Jets, the Eagles even) into wins.

However, you read GDTs (not just on here) and it's mostly complaining and hatred for the team.

Saquon also needs to play better. You need a lot more from him than 6 yards on 15 carries.
The run blocking is abysmal. There were Steelers in the back field on every play. I don't know what you want from him.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
The run blocking is abysmal. There were Steelers in the back field on every play. I don't know what you want from him.

I mean I can't respond to this. The OL was not good in general and I can't go and find specific plays to show examples of where Saquon should have done more. I want him to be a generational RB but he has not been that.

Like I said, the Giants need more experience and time to get better. If the OL is playing like they just did in Week 8 then I will be concerned.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Giants O line is very young and inexperienced. Barkley is going to retire by the time he's 30 at this rate. I don't think anyone expected the Giants to win more than 6 games this year, did they?

There are still lots of holes in the squad. A playmaking WR. A playmaking DE. A decent young corner. Okudah or Simmons should have been the pick at #4. You add Thomas who can be decent, but you need to sprinkle some experience into that O-line too.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
There are still lots of holes in the squad. A playmaking WR. A playmaking DE. A decent young corner. Okudah or Simmons should have been the pick at #4. You add Thomas who can be decent, but you need to sprinkle some experience into that O-line too.

same ol’story for 8 years besides a wild free agent freezy in 2017

they had recievers, traded them
They had DE, traded them b/c they went to a 3-4.
They drafted a ton of DB’s, lost one in free agency, cut others, traded others, injuries and arrests

they don’t build anything.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
same ol’story for 8 years besides a wild free agent freezy in 2017

they had recievers, traded them
They had DE, traded them b/c they went to a 3-4.
They drafted a ton of DB’s, lost one in free agency, cut others, traded others, injuries and arrests

they don’t build anything.
There doesn't seem to be a plan at all. It all started with the Saquon pick.

Simmons would have been a perfect fit for this 3-4 defense they're trying to force a square peg into a round hole of.

The Deandre Baker thing was bad luck, but you can't tell me that a scouting team at the highest level didn't flag anything in his draft interviews? They traded up for the kid FFS. That's unacceptable when there's literally millions of dollars on the line when you step up to the podium in the first and early to mid second round where you're finding your glue guys and playmakers.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I mean I can't respond to this. The OL was not good in general and I can't go and find specific plays to show examples of where Saquon should have done more. I want him to be a generational RB but he has not been that.

Like I said, the Giants need more experience and time to get better. If the OL is playing like they just did in Week 8 then I will be concerned.
You take any “generational” RB and put them in that running scheme with those “blocks”, and I can guarantee you they’re not gonna look generational.

no one can block. It’s not just the OL. the tight ends don’t/can’t block (*COUGH EVAN ENGRAM COUGH*), the receivers don’t/can’t block, it’s a mess. Barry Sanders would look pedestrian on this Giants team.

Reactions: JCProdigy

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
There doesn't seem to be a plan at all. It all started with the Saquon pick.

Simmons would have been a perfect fit for this 3-4 defense they're trying to force a square peg into a round hole of.

The Deandre Baker thing was bad luck, but you can't tell me that a scouting team at the highest level didn't flag anything in his draft interviews? They traded up for the kid FFS. That's unacceptable when there's literally millions of dollars on the line when you step up to the podium in the first and early to mid second round where you're finding your glue guys and playmakers.

you can’t have this many holes, trade multiple picks for Baker and then lose him. Then they trade more picks for Williams. That takes reps away from another pick in BJ Hill.

The Barkley pick was a joke, resigning OBJ only to trade him and wreck their cap was another joke, bringing back Eli for $22 million for two games was yet another joke while the botched . . . it doesn’t end.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
That was one of the LEAST frustrating losses I've seen from the Giants in several season (which I admit, is not saying a lot). BUT... overall the team competed, didn't do anything terribly stupid, felt well-coached, and appears to me to be hopefully heading in the right direction.

I loved Garret's play-calling. Considering the O-line's struggles and failures of the run games, we still managed to put together sustained drives and find ways to be successful. I think he's a huge signing for that job and over the course of the season people are going to be super happy with him. Finally the days of draw-draw-incomplete 20 yard pass attempt seem to be over. Jones is looking like the real deal to me. The INT was brutal, but his line was a sieve all game and he looked poised and confident throughout. With a competent O-line this guy is going to be legit.

And the defense didn't get embarassed, which is actually saying a lot, especially considering what they looked like last year.

Overall, the team played composed and looked like there is a solid foundation to be continue building upon. Consider me pleasantly surprised by Judge's first game.

The clear and obvious problem that continues to plague this team is personnel. Which falls squarely on Gettleman's shoulders. The guy hits on two draft picks and somehow everyone just forgives him for a clear inability to put together a complete roster. He has invested a TON of capital over multiple years into the O-line and CB positions, and yet at the end of this season, there is a good chance this team is going to have use their first rounder on a CB or Tackle. I think people fall into the trap of not comparing him to other GMs, like Buffalo's Beane, who have been able to fix their offensive lines in a year or two. We are going to be going into year 4 waiting for Gettlemen to even assemble a competent one.

And as evidenced tonight, you can be the most talented running back in the league, and it don't mean squat if your offensive line is terrible and there are defenders meeting you in the backfield the second you're handed the ball. He has utterly squandered the first 3 years of Saquon's rookie contract. People are going to be stunned when they finally realize what we are going to have to pay Saquon to keep him on this team.

It is unconscionable how poorly built this roster is 3 seasons into Gettleman's tenure.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That was one of the LEAST frustrating losses I've seen from the Giants in several season (which I admit, is not saying a lot). BUT... overall the team competed, didn't do anything terribly stupid, felt well-coached, and appears to me to be hopefully heading in the right direction.

I loved Garret's play-calling. Considering the O-line's struggles and failures of the run games, we still managed to put together sustained drives and find ways to be successful. I think he's a huge signing for that job and over the course of the season people are going to be super happy with him. Finally the days of draw-draw-incomplete 20 yard pass attempt seem to be over. Jones is looking like the real deal to me. The INT was brutal, but his line was a sieve all game and he looked poised and confident throughout. With a competent O-line this guy is going to be legit.

And the defense didn't get embarassed, which is actually saying a lot, especially considering what they looked like last year.

Overall, the team played composed and looked like there is a solid foundation to be continue building upon. Consider me pleasantly surprised by Judge's first game.

The clear and obvious problem that continues to plague this team is personnel. Which falls squarely on Gettleman's shoulders. The guy hits on two draft picks and somehow everyone just forgives him for a clear inability to put together a complete roster. He has invested a TON of capital over multiple years into the O-line and CB positions, and yet at the end of this season, there is a good chance this team is going to have use their first rounder on a CB or Tackle. I think people fall into the trap of not comparing him to other GMs, like Buffalo's Beane, who have been able to fix their offensive lines in a year or two. We are going to be going into year 4 waiting for Gettlemen to even assemble a competent one.

And as evidenced tonight, you can be the most talented running back in the league, and it don't mean squat if your offensive line is terrible and there are defenders meeting you in the backfield the second you're handed the ball. He has utterly squandered the first 3 years of Saquon's rookie contract. People are going to be stunned when they finally realize what we are going to have to pay Saquon to keep him on this team.

It is unconscionable how poorly built this roster is 3 seasons into Gettleman's tenure.

To your point, this team has drafted in the top 10 every year but 1 since 2015 & still only has 1 impact player on either side of the ball....and that guy plays the least valuable position on the field in today's NFL.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

I loved Garret's play-calling.

good points while a few i challenge.

Garrett’s play calling and nothing terribly stupid

Gifted by a botched punt return the Giants get a 1st and Goal at the 3. Three plays all out of the shotgun? An inside handoff is too deep IMO. Yes, both Jones and Engram botched down 2 on a play which looked like kids playing in the back yard followed by a routine bad play.

Jones gave Watt an easy read from the LOS right from the snap resulting in an INT

The goal line int which was a killer has Jones rolling to his opposite side. Why?

As far as the defense, they looked good but it appeared it was the Steelers and Ben who were rusty. Once they got going, the defense was, as usual, exposed.

Losing isn’t as frustrating anymore for me. It’s expected. I think there is a very good chance this Giants team picks #1 overall. Will Gettleman pick up the phone?

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
To your point, this team has drafted in the top 10 every year but 1 since 2015 & still only has 1 impact player on either side of the ball....and that guy plays the least valuable position on the field in today's NFL.

I skimmed this quickly, thought you were talking about the Jets and thought to myself “oh man he forgets we traded Jamal Adams”. NY football! Feel the excitement?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

and he can’t make an impact either. 15 carries for 6 yards

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You take any “generational” RB and put them in that running scheme with those “blocks”, and I can guarantee you they’re not gonna look generational.

no one can block. It’s not just the OL. the tight ends don’t/can’t block (*COUGH EVAN ENGRAM COUGH*), the receivers don’t/can’t block, it’s a mess. Barry Sanders would look pedestrian on this Giants team.
This was a joke, right?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Barkley is the single-worst pass blocking RB I have ever seen on the Giants. I can't tell if it's a lack of effort or a lack of instinct. But holy hell is he bad. Absolute turnstile and playing himself into a situational player rather than a true three-down back.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

They allegedly flagged his laziness and attitude in interviews. Gettleman ignored.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This was a joke, right?
Pedestrian is an exaggeration, but he wouldn’t look any better than Barkley has in his career.

my point is that who the back is is really not relevant when the Giants can’t block. They have a superior running back and their running game is still garbage. It’s not because of the back

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020

Daniel Jones isn't an impact player to you? Ok.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
other than the redzone pick i loved what i saw from jones last night. even quite a few of his incompletions, his throws hit the receiver in both hands. the pass blocking was decent enough last night, but the run blocking was probably the worst run blocking ive ever seen in the nfl. steelers lived in the backfield all night. many of the running plays steelers players didnt even get touched before ending up in the backfield. technique and tactics of the o-line's run blocking need to improved drastically this week during practice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pedestrian is an exaggeration, but he wouldn’t look any better than Barkley has in his career.

my point is that who the back is is really not relevant when the Giants can’t block. They have a superior running back and their running game is still garbage. It’s not because of the back

Barkley isn't anywhere near a generational player to begin with, though. I said this before he was draft and I was pissed when we picked him. He should be a better player than he is since our blocking isn't helping him, but he has shown a number of times that he dances too much and can't block worth a lick.

He's not as talented as Sanders and suffers Sanders's same problem of being weak on the goal line and between tackles. Sanders was also a mediocre blocker, but at least showed some effort. Barkley is Jim Brown-esque in his complete lack of caring about blocking.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Barkley isn't anywhere near a generational player to begin with, though. I said this before he was draft and I was pissed when we picked him. He should be a better player than he is since our blocking isn't helping him, but he has shown a number of times that he dances too much and can't block worth a lick.

He's not as talented as Sanders and suffers Sanders's same problem of being weak on the goal line and between tackles. Sanders was also a mediocre blocker, but at least showed some effort. Barkley is Jim Brown-esque in his complete lack of caring about blocking.
No one seems to care about blocking on the Giants. Tight ends, receivers, backs, all of them appear to see blocking as optional.

I do think Barkley was overhyped but I don’t think there’s a single running back who would look consistently good in this scheme.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No one seems to care about blocking on the Giants. Tight ends, receivers, backs, all of them appear to see blocking as optional.

I do think Barkley was overhyped but I don’t think there’s a single running back who would look consistently good in this scheme.

I agree with that. But if that's the case, why the f*** did we draft a RB who requires a specific scheme to succeed? I was banging the f***ing drum that Barkley required a very specific scheme set to work in the NFL and required a very good OL. He needs space. Space requires blocking. No blocking means no space. Thus, a running back who requires space to do something cannot possibly succeed. And instead of doing anything about this lack of space since we drafted him, our GM has just done nothing.

The Giants need to trade Barkley. Find a buyer for a 1st and 3rd and move him. He should bring back a 1st pretty easily and the kicker I'd accept is a 3rd. Many Giants fans would gasp at that, but what the f*** are we going to do with a guy who is an absolute bitch in pass blocking and who can't run behind our line? Why bother keeping him when we can trade him and recoup SOME of the lost value?

Reactions: I Eat Crow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad