2020 F1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Do you really follow F1 or just go for the memes?
The guy literally complains about his tires every single race. How can you say he manages his tires well with a straight face. Never in this sports history has one man gotten so lucky with finishes and people think it is all about his skill.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
The guy literally complains about his tires every single race. How can you say he manages his tires well with a straight face. Never in this sports history has one man gotten so lucky with finishes and people think it is all about his skill.

Better read what I wrote again. I never denied he has the fastest car. But he's still the best driver on the grid. Verstappen's slightly behind imo. Would be awesome to see them as teammates or atleast in an equal car performance wise. He wouldn't win a race in a Williams or a Haas. Not even close.

Oh and yeah, he complains about his tyres. But it is not LITERALLY every single race (you know, you just need one race where does not to disprove your point). Nice hyperbole there. Also complaining != tyre management. If I get 1000 bucks to live for a month, yeah I'd complain aswell. But I can adapt and manage that money. I can still complain to somebody to give me more money while getting around with the money I have. Just look at Silverstone 2019, old hard tyres, fastest lap ond the last lap. You don't do this if you don't know how to handle your tyres. And there are more examples where he has a better pace for longer stints than the other drivers.

But whatever, guess Hamilton-Haters need something to cheer for and I absolutely love the young generation of drivers so I am super happy for Russell. It's a shame that most of the talk is about Hamilton right now and not Russell.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Or perhaps (seems to be constantly overlooked) Russell is as many in know believe - VERY fast.

I'm guessing people don't watch Formula 3, Formula 2 junior series closely as if they had, they'd have clearly seen that Russell was every bit as good as Verstappen and Leclerc on the skill front. He's more than on their level.

Russell is already proving that by putting the Williams where it had no business being.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

If there's a pattern, it's probably not luck.

He's also more than just mildly hypochondriac about his tyres.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The whining about tyres thing, just like everything else he does, is all part of his self-serving strive to promote his own image. It's to make him look better than he is, to make everyone think he's pulling off these achievements while his back is up against the wall when it really isn't.

The reason he does things like do the Black Panther crossed arms thing while stood on top of his car after the actor died is not because he cares about that, it's because it's a good photo opportunity to strengthen his brand and his image. It's all entirely self-serving.

You also see it with the patronising post-race comments about how Red Bull are "coming for us, man" when they're actually miles behind and Verstappen is literally driving the wheels off the thing and Albon is nowhere.

Reactions: DaveG

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I don't deny Hamilton's talent, he's obviously probably the best on the grid, but the thing is it's a weak grid. I only deny that he belongs in the conversation for being the GOAT. The argument for him depends entirely on the statistics of wins and championships. I understand that you can only play what's in front of you, as the saying goes, so it's entirely hypothetical, but if you point this out and try to bring any nuance to the table you just get labeled a "hater" by the Hamilton fanboys and there's no room for debate.

The greats of the past had to race against other greats who were also in competitive machinery. Senna and Prost had to race against each other either while on the same team or with fairly equally competitive Ferraris and McLarens, as well as Mansell to contend with in the same era. It's for the same reason I have problems looking at Schumacher on stats alone, for most of his titles with Ferrari he didn't really have anyone to compete with.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A grid on which Ricciardo is the 4th or 5th best driver is a REALLY good grid. Like, 2nd or 3rd best during Schumacher's career, depending on whether Alonso is on the grid or not.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think it's a weak grid at all. I think car discrepancy is insane right now but that's always been an F1 thing. There's a handful of elite talent who will line up on the grid on Sunday.

Hamilton is annoying. He's a whiner. I do think he does some social good but I don't think he understands the valid criticisms that sometimes entails. How he can get away with blatantly calling people he works around straight up racist... repeatedly....to MILLIONS of followers based on incorrect information and then never address it publically again....that's a crock of shit.

(Yes. He privately apologized but if you go that hard after somebody in public you better damn well apologize in public too)

However. Anybody acting like he's not one of the greatest drivers ever is as off base as he was with the Helmut Marko shit.

Reactions: Soedy and DaveG

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I meant a weak grid taking into consideration both the driver talent and the competitive cars. Since 2014 we've had just 2 years when Ferrari actually challenged Mercedes consistently for wins. The rest of the time Ferrari and Red Bull were only capable of nicking a win here and there.

Ricciardo has been in a Renault for two years, when he was at Red Bull like I say they were only good for a few wins a season. Alonso was in an absolutely dreadful McLaren. Since Rosberg left, the other guy in the best car (Bottas) is really just an upper midfield driver.

There's a lot of young talent on the grid right now but they are young, unproven and lacking experience.

However yes I do agree for the Schumacher dominant Ferrari era it's pretty grim reading. Barrichello, Coulthard, Montoya. Not offering up much of a fight.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Better read what I wrote again. I never denied he has the fastest car. But he's still the best driver on the grid. Verstappen's slightly behind imo. Would be awesome to see them as teammates or atleast in an equal car performance wise. He wouldn't win a race in a Williams or a Haas. Not even close.

What we can see though is that Hamilton's gap in pace to Bottas is about average for a #1 driver, and Bottas is definitely not the fastest #2 out there. Relative to his teammate Hamilton's performances are therefore only above average.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Mazepin really is a shithead. I mean. That was obvious before but this dude out here defending like I do in video games. The sad thing is today isn't an isolated incident either.

But Tsunoda wins. All but has his super license and he all but has that Alpha Tauri seat I would imagine.

Reactions: MXD

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Mazepin doing his best to run people off the road
The moves he did on the main straight were really bad (as in black flag bad, considering he did it like 4 times), but on the last one towards turn 4 he got into Drugovich's head. There was still a gap between the two cars (didn't see the onboard, but I'd estimate at least a car length) when Mazepin went to change his line, which he's allowed to do once, and Drugovich scared himself off the track and then complained about it.

Schumacher did a good recovery drive through the field, very impressive.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
The moves he did on the main straight were really bad (as in black flag bad, considering he did it like 4 times), but on the last one towards turn 4 he got into Drugovich's head. There was still a gap between the two cars (didn't see the onboard, but I'd estimate at least a car length) when Mazepin went to change his line, which he's allowed to do once, and Drugovich scared himself off the track and then complained about it.

Schumacher did a good recovery drive through the field, very impressive.

For the last one I'd need to see it again but from what I remember he definitely made more than one movement, they were just both in the same direction. He drifted across to his right in one continuous movement at first, and then jerked across to the right at least twice more

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think sometimes the attacking driver trying to desperately go to the inside makes the defending driver look worse than he really is but that's not the case there. Mazepin clearly waits for the guy behind to make his move and then aggressively jerks in the same direction. The one on Zhou I thought was fine, and also on the second run with Drugovich the first change of line was alright, but then he makes another aggressive move in the same direction.

Reactions: DaveG

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What we can see though is that Hamilton's gap in pace to Bottas is about average for a #1 driver, and Bottas is definitely not the fastest #2 out there. Relative to his teammate Hamilton's performances are therefore only above average.

Which second driver is/are faster than Bottas?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Mazepin really is a shithead. I mean. That was obvious before but this dude out here defending like I do in video games. The sad thing is today isn't an isolated incident either.

But Tsunoda wins. All but has his super license and he all but has that Alpha Tauri seat I would imagine.

It's just fair for what happened last week.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Oh and I dont know why Mazepin didnt get a penalty of sorts for his 6 or 7 shoddy moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad