Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There's a good chance that the Jets play into the playoffs, in which case they are likely to pick at #17 or #18.

Based on the draft simulator, there will still be some very good options there.

I ran it a few times with the Jets in the #17 slot (via trade option) and here are some of the players commonly available.

Jarvis
Mercer
Lapierre
Guhle
Gunler
Zary

We’ll be just fine if we have to pick at 18 this is a weird draft with what I thing is a huge tier around where we pick.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think all teams need to give serious consideration to where the players are, and the likelihood of that player getting few to no games in this coming season because of their league, or maybe some teams within that league not being able to operate. I don't think anyone knows at this time what the CHL, or US College or Euro leagues will be doing for a 20-21 season. Do you want to risk a high draft pick on a player that may lose a year of development? Maybe the true upper echelon players go as expected, but after that you might see a lot of up and down movement as teams think, yeah he's BPA but he plays in Whozitville, and we just can't see them being able to ice a team this year.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think all teams need to give serious consideration to where the players are, and the likelihood of that player getting few to no games in this coming season because of their league, or maybe some teams within that league not being able to operate. I don't think anyone knows at this time what the CHL, or US College or Euro leagues will be doing for a 20-21 season. Do you want to risk a high draft pick on a player that may lose a year of development? Maybe the true upper echelon players go as expected, but after that you might see a lot of up and down movement as teams think, yeah he's BPA but he plays in Whozitville, and we just can't see them being able to ice a team this year.

very good point. Everyone may not be impacted equally by COVID. What leagues will shut it down what leagues will play? If they draft in October they may have more certainty on the topic.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I turned down the "team needs" slide bar a bit and tried it a few times. Also did a trade down with Ottawa as there wasn't a player that fell to 12 that I thought was a sure thing.

Traded #12, #136 for #21, #33, #167.

Ended up with the following and feel like I would be pretty stoked if it ended up this way (know nothing on Grant Slukynsky):

View attachment 349809

Did it without trading down and got:

View attachment 349811

No idea who those guys you took at #136 & 167 are - but I like your first haul after the trade down better than the haul without the trade down. I think you get 3 good prospects there. I'm confident in only 1 of the 2nd group.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Initial lottery officially scheduled. Hopefully one of the top picks goes to one of the unassigned teams for some drama/excitement for a potential second draft :naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Initial lottery officially scheduled. Hopefully one of the top picks goes to one of the unassigned teams for some drama/excitement for a potential second draft :naughty:

Nah, Jets will win their play-in round and won't end up in the lottery after all...

Reactions: None and ps241

None

Feb 22, 2012
Nah, Jets will win their play-in round and won't end up in the lottery after all...

There's still some entertainment to be had from the fans of teams that missed out on a top pick because of teams in the "playoffs" moved up :laugh:
I expect a lot of moaning about how those teams didn't deserve to have a shot because they played 3-5 extra games:popcorn:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
HockeyProspect.com has just released their draft guides and final rankings. They have some bold rankings in the first round, with a heavy emphasis on WHL.

#7 Seth Jarvis
#11 Braden Schneider
#13 Tristen Robins
#14 Ridly Greig

Some other bold rankings:

#5 Sanderson
#12 Drysdale

I have the Draft Guide and look forward to digging into some of the reports.

None

Feb 22, 2012
HockeyProspect.com has just released their draft guides and final rankings. They have some bold rankings in the first round, with a heavy emphasis on WHL.

#7 Seth Jarvis
#11 Braden Schneider
#13 Tristen Robins
#14 Ridly Greig

#5 Sanderson
#12 Drysdale

Another mildly interesting take is Stützle at #2 over Byfield I think. The more mainstream traditional media seem to think 1 and 2 are already set.

I'm curious about Jarvis rising into the top 10 and Drysdale falling out of the top 10 in their rankings, do they see something that they think makes Jarvis a sure bet to go that much higher than most project?

I think Bob Mckenzie's list from polled scouts could be interesting for this draft.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

#7 Seth Jarvis
#11 Braden Schneider
#13 Tristen Robins
#14 Ridly Greig

#5 Sanderson
#12 Drysdale

I have been dying for this. Thank you thank you.

A guy I have allot of respect for on scouting prospects has has Sanderson ahead of Drysdale before it was cool.

These rankings reinforce what I have been feeling in my gut lately that this could be the most unpredictable draft since I started following it all closely in 2011.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have been dying for this. Thank you thank you.

A guy I have allot of respect for on scouting prospects has has Sanderson ahead of Drysdale before it was cool.

These rankings reinforce what I have been feeling in my gut lately that this could be the most unpredictable draft since I started following it all closely in 2011.
Yes.

Another interesting ranking is Quinn at #6 ahead of Rossi. Based on a few NHL scouts' quotes the HP group is not alone in that perspective.

Also, HP has this as a very deep first round, with 27 prospects receiving an "A" grade. I think the draft is going to be very unpredictable.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes.

Another interesting ranking is Quinn at #6 ahead of Rossi. Based on a few NHL scouts' quotes the HP group is not alone in that perspective.

Also, HP has this as a very deep first round, with 27 prospects receiving an "A" grade. I think the draft is going to be very unpredictable.

The deep first round 27 A prospect comment caught me off guard. Most of us draft wonks have been speculating their is a huge tier but I was surprised the A comment.

Quinn doesn’t shock me he had a meteoric rise and he is a baller.

The one that I got caught off guard on was Schneider at #11 ahead and ahead of Drysdale. That is a high ranking for Schneider and I am not sure it reflects @Daximus or @Joe Hallenback sentiments but I might be wrong? You can tell Mark was really impressed with his interview with Schneider.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The deep first round 27 A prospect comment caught me off guard. Most of us draft wonks have been speculating their is a huge tier but I was surprised the A comment.

Quinn doesn’t shock me he had a meteoric rise and he is a baller.

The one that I got caught off guard on was Schneider at #11 ahead and ahead of Drysdale. That is a high ranking for Schneider and I am not sure it reflects @Daximus or @Joe Hallenback sentiments but I might be wrong? You can tell Mark was really impressed with his interview with Schneider.
Agree regarding Schneider. There seems to be a lot of sentiment among NHL scouts that he's a really good one. He was highly ranked in McKenzie's mid-term ranking. I think there's been too much of a swing away from size and defensive ability by many non-NHL draft pundits. NHL teams highly value the idea of a Pesce or Slavin, and realize that most mobile offensive D's are much more like Mete than Makar.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

#7 Seth Jarvis
#11 Braden Schneider
#13 Tristen Robins
#14 Ridly Greig

#5 Sanderson
#12 Drysdale

Great list, thanks for sharing!
You and Dax must be excited to see your boy Jarvis ranked in the top 10!
Some notables on some of my faves. I was high on Stutzle, Perfetti, Sanderson and Quinn so Im not surprised to see them move up the board on their ranking. Im also not surprised to see Drysdale fall. Some players Im high on that are lower on that list are Zary, Lundell, Holloway and Guhle.
This draft will be a fun one, glad we have our 1st this year!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some notables on some of my faves. I was high on Stutzle, Perfetti, Sanderson and Quinn so Im not surprised to see them move up the board on their ranking. Im also not surprised to see Drysdale fall. Some players Im high on that are lower on that list are Zary, Lundell, Holloway and Guhle.
Interesting that they have Zary down at #20, with Jarvis, Robins and Greig ahead of him. According to the HP and some of the NHL scouts they quoted, there's concern that Zary won't have the skating to translate his game to the NHL. They are very high on Robins because of his tenacity and very strong second half of the season. Greig is a riser and much younger than Zary.

Personally, top #12-13 seems high for Robins and Greig, but I like both of them I was hoping the Jets could nab one of them in round #2, and I think that could still happen.

Jarvis is obviously one of the big risers, and he might even go top 10. Same with Quinn.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

#7 Seth Jarvis
#11 Braden Schneider
#13 Tristen Robins
#14 Ridly Greig

#5 Sanderson
#12 Drysdale

We are in for an interesting draft...

Looking forward to this a lot...

I am confident Chevy and the gang will make picks that work for us...

:thumbu:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

i agree @Daximus and Whilee were early movers on Jarvis. Well done lads he is a dynamic play driver.

Reactions: Daximus

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have to say I think this is the most excited I have been for a round 2 pick. There could be some really interesting options lurking around.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looking forward to McKenzie's list on Monday. He usually comes closest to how NHL teams are ranking players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have to say I think this is the most excited I have been for a round 2 pick. There could be some really interesting options lurking around.
I agree. Should be lots of players I like available when the Jets pick in the 2nd round.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes.

I still think the draft will be predictable. Not a lot of teams go off the board to far and I feel like the top 20 won’t have a lot of shockers.
I like it when Pronman puts out his list as he always has a few shockers and I want to see where he ranks the players playing in the USA.
It’s why I like 2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft as they will have everyone’s rankings on the one page closer to draft time and take all consensus from the different sources. I like seeing them side by side for easy comparison.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
That’s why I think a trade-down in 1st makes sense to recoup some of the picks lost. An extra 2nd would be great.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
L
That’s why I think a trade-down in 1st makes sense to recoup some of the picks lost. An extra 2nd would be great.
i think if there is a guy with potential to be a 2c you run to the podium. More picks don’t matter if 2nd rounders are mostly going to be bottom pairing/ 6 or fail to make squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad