Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I cannot believe how many picks Ottawa has, 7 in first two rounds, they are going to end up with a plethora of good prospects from this draft.

Reactions: ps241

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
They did. That was incredible. Came out of nowhere had a shot and then went back to being a bottom team.
Dorian and the owner did some questionable things which is why they are here. But if you can add Byfield Stutzle and Schneider from this draft to build around Tkachuk and Chabot that’s a pretty good start. Or go Byfield, Drysdale 3 Lapierre 21. They will add some good pieces in round 2 as well.
I’m not one to trade down but if they wanted Askarov they could trade for our pick and give us their pick and a second as was mentioned in the thread.
Imagine adding Byfield, Drysdale, Askarov in one draft?!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Dorian and the owner did some questionable things which is why they are here. But if you can add Byfield Stutzle and Schneider from this draft to build around Tkachuk and Chabot that’s a pretty good start. Or go Byfield, Drysdale 3 Lapierre 21. They will add some good pieces in round 2 as well.
I’m not one to trade down but if they wanted Askarov they could trade for our pick and give us their pick and a second as was mentioned in the thread.
Imagine adding Byfield, Drysdale, Askarov in one draft?!
How did they get their 3rd high pick? The second is the sharks. Did Pageau bring back a late 1st?

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Finally finished the Jack Quinn hype reel :) let me know what you guys think!

Purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, how will the new playoff format affect draft slots.

I'm guessing...

1-7 teams excluded from play-in round, with lottery seeding.
8-15 losers of play-in round, with points % seeding.
16-31 playoff teams, seeded as usual.

So, the Jets could select as high as #8, but more likely...

#10-14 if they lose the play-in round (depending on which other teams are knocked out).

#16-20, if they play in to the playoffs but don't reach the conference finals.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So, how will the new playoff format affect draft slots.

I'm guessing...

1-7 teams excluded from play-in round, with lottery seeding.
8-15 losers of play-in round, with points % seeding.
16-31 playoff teams, seeded as usual.

So, the Jets could select as high as #8, but more likely...

#10-14 if they lose the play-in round (depending on which other teams are knocked out).

#16-20, if they play in to the playoffs but don't reach the conference finals.
Or 31st if we win the cup ;)

Reactions: Cypruss

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, if the Jets win their preliminary round and lose the first playoff round they would pick in the #16-20 range. If they lose in the preliminary round, they could perhaps pick in the top 3 (if the usual lottery format is used), but more likely in the #10-14 range.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think this is a year if you don't have a top 10 pick you are going to get the same player 15 to 40 in terms of value. Who out of that group of players emerges as a NHLer some day is what will separate the good drafting teams from the bad ones

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this is a year if you don't have a top 10 pick you are going to get the same player 15 to 40 in terms of value. Who out of that group of players emerges as a NHLer some day is what will separate the good drafting teams from the bad ones
That's how I'm reading things. Certainly doesn't seem like a big difference between #12 and #20.

In addition to scouting, I think development will play a role in which picks succeed.

None

Feb 22, 2012
So, if the Jets win their preliminary round and lose the first playoff round they would pick in the #16-20 range. If they lose in the preliminary round, they could perhaps pick in the top 3 (if the usual lottery format is used), but more likely in the #10-14 range.

Edit: Nope, not 2016 rules. They're doing a lottery for the bottom 7 teams and then a second lottery for the teams from 8-15 after the play-in round.
The odds for 1-7 will be the same as the 2016 rules with the ball combinations normally assigned for teams from 8-15 considered unassigned. If an unassigned combination of lottery balls is chosen in the first draft then that pick will be drawn in the second lottery between the teams that lose the play-ins.

It sounds like they intend to use the 2016 rules. The only news that hasn't seemed to have leaked yet is how they intend to determine the 8-15 lottery odds for the teams that lose the play-in round.
I'd guess they'd just go by regular season points percentage for the teams that get eliminated in the play-in round.

There's also this news in a reply to the tweet you linked

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That's how I'm reading things. Certainly doesn't seem like a big difference between #12 and #20.

In addition to scouting, I think development will play a role in which picks succeed.

I completely agree between 12-20 or 15-40 either one of these can be seen as tiers easily. So we either lose out against the Flames and pick earlier or we beat them in which case lets go on run and have some fun in the playoffs because we are most likely getting a similar level of pick if we win a few rounds IMO.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The lottery rules are really something this time :laugh:

There will be a lottery a day before the play-ins involving the bottom 7 teams that won't be participating in the play-ins using the odds from 2016. The remaining ball combinations that would normally be assigned to the teams ranked from 8-15 will be unassigned, but if any of those combinations are drawn they'll hold a second lottery after the play-ins with just the teams that failed to qualify for the playoffs during the play-ins.

I think, if I'm understanding any of this right.

Edit to add an example if my understanding is right:
1st overall is won by Ottawa in the first drawing
2nd overall is won by a ball combination unassigned
3rd overall is won by Detroit in the first drawing

2nd overall would be drawn again in another drawing after the play-in round with only the teams that were eliminated.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The lottery rules are really something this time :laugh:

There will be a lottery a day before the play-ins involving the bottom 7 teams that won't be participating in the play-ins using the odds from 2016. The remaining ball combinations that would normally be assigned to the teams ranked from 8-15 will be unassigned, but if any of those combinations are drawn they'll hold a second lottery after the play-ins with just the teams that failed to qualify for the playoffs during the play-ins.

I think, if I'm understanding any of this right.

Yup. Could be some hype if there are one or two place-holder team lottery wins.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Finally finished the Jack Quinn hype reel :) let me know what you guys think!

Purest goal scorer in the draft IMO

The way he’s rocketed up the charts I don’t think he’ll be there past 10 but this would be awesome. He will be a heck of an NHLer. He’s been fun to watch this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad