Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The way he’s rocketed up the charts I don’t think he’ll be there past 10 but this would be awesome. He will be a heck of an NHLer. He’s been fun to watch this year.

Wow long time no post? really great to see you here. Have you had a chance to watch Quinn this year live?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The First Phase of the draft lottery will be held June 26, prior to the Qualifying Round. It will consist of three drawings and include the seven teams that did not qualify for the postseason and eight placeholder positions.
The lottery odds for the seven non-playoff teams were determined by their point percentage during the 2019-20 regular season, which was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus and ended Tuesday with the Return to Play Plan announcement.

The first drawing of the First Phase will set the team selecting No. 1 in the draft, the second drawing will set the team selecting No. 2, and the third drawing will set the team selecting No. 3.

The odds for the first lottery drawing are as follows (bottom-seven teams' point percentage in parentheses):
Detroit Red Wings -- (.275) 18.5 percent chance for No. 1 pick
Ottawa Senators -- (.437) 13.5 percent
Ottawa Senators (from San Jose Sharks, .450) -- 11.5 percent
Los Angeles Kings -- (.457) 9.5 percent
Anaheim Ducks -- (.472) 8.5 percent
New Jersey Devils -- (.493) 7.5 percent
Buffalo Sabres -- (.493) 6.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team A -- 6.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team B -- 5.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team C -- 3.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team D -- 3.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team E -- 2.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team F -- 2.0 percent
Qualifying Round Team G -- 1.5 percent
Qualifying Round Team H -- 1.0 percent
New Jersey received better lottery odds than Buffalo because it had a worse regulation/overtime winning percentage (.348, compared to Buffalo's .406).
After the first drawing, the odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the second drawing, and again for the third drawing, based on which team wins the second drawing.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Wow long time no post? really great to see you here. Have you had a chance to watch Quinn this year live?
I’m always lurking but the older I get the less I feel the need to chime in!

Yes I’ve seen him a few times. He and Rossi were worth the price of admission all year. Rossi is such a magician out there. So fun to watch. But Quinn has been a beast all year too and gets a ton of hype on the Ottawa airwaves. His versatility on offence is impressive. He can do it all and score from everywhere. A lot of people think he’ll be a better NHLer than Rossi but as much as I like him, Rossi is just so sick.

There’s been a lot of focus on the draft eligibles this year because the Sens have so many picks and were predictably bad. It’s all about the draft here in Ottawa. People are a bit choked because Rossi and Quinn are so good but the Sens will likely be picking a couple of spots too high for either of them. I’d say it’s about a 60/40 split in Rossi’s favour as to who will be better.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a very complicated draft lottery system, so the actual odds for different draft slots won't be known until after play-in round and the lottery. Probabilities for non-lottery slots will depend on if there are any "upsets", along with the lottery itself.

However, we can get a reasonable estimate of the odds of different slots. I've used modeled estimates from Dom Luszczyszyn to provide an estimate of the Jets' probabilities, assuming they lose in the play-in round. These probabilities would vary a bit, depending on which other teams are knocked out. Dom's model incorporates his projections of outcomes for the play-in rounds.

The basic message is:

About 10% probability of a top-3 pick.
About 75% probability of pick #10-12.

upload_2020-5-28_17-38-49.png

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's a very complicated draft lottery system, so the actual odds for different draft slots won't be known until after play-in round and the lottery. Probabilities for non-lottery slots will depend on if there are any "upsets", along with the lottery itself.

However, we can get a reasonable estimate of the odds of different slots. I've used modeled estimates from Dom Luszczyszyn to provide an estimate of the Jets' probabilities, assuming they lose in the play-in round. These probabilities would vary a bit, depending on which other teams are knocked out. Dom's model incorporates his projections of outcomes for the play-in rounds.

The basic message is:

About 10% probability of a top-3 pick.
About 75% probability of pick #10-12.

View attachment 348053

Torn between two lovers.

I would love to beat the Flames and go on a run but 10% lottery odds beats 0% cup chances......that being said at the end of the day I always want to win so my heart will be cheering for the Jets to play in.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I realize that the interest in the 2020 draft has toned down, now that it has been postponed until the Fall.

But there is a nice draft simulator app to look at various scenarios, and it allows for selecting for a given team based on a list of predicted players available. draftsim

I ran through the simulator once, and ended up selecting the following for the Jets...

#12 - Jack Quinn (RW - Ottawa, OHL)
#43 - Ozzy Wiesblatt (RW - Prince Albert, WHL)
#136 - Ethan Cardwell (C - Barrie, OHL)
#167 - Grant Slukynsky (C - Warroad, USHS)

I'd be interested in seeing what draft picks others select in the simulator (it only takes a few minutes).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I watched Mudbound and Spy Game.
The first was better than the second but neither were bad.
I like spy stuff so Spy Game was up my alley.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I watched Mudbound and Spy Game.
The first was better than the second but neither were bad.
I like spy stuff so Spy Game was up my alley.

I am guessing this was meant for the TV Movie thread my friend.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I realize that the interest in the 2020 draft has toned down, now that it has been postponed until the Fall.

But there is a nice draft simulator app to look at various scenarios, and it allows for selecting for a given team based on a list of predicted players available. draftsim

I ran through the simulator once, and ended up selecting the following for the Jets...

I'd be interested in seeing what draft picks others select in the simulator (it only takes a few minutes).

#12 - Anton Lundell (C - HIFK, Liiga)
#43 - Helge Grans (RD - Malmo, SHL)

I'd be stoked if it worked out this way.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

At 12 Askarov was still available so I made a trade with Ottawa and acquired the 21st pick,49th pick and 95th pick of the draft(I think it likely I would try to acquire a 2nd round pick in next years draft IMO but this doesn't allow that)

21 - Seth Jarvis RW Portland
43 - William Wallinder - D Modo
49 - Ridley Grieg C Brandon
95 - Daemon Hunt D Moose Jaw
136 - Riley Duran C Lawrence Academy
167 - Samuel Hlavaj G Sherbrooke

I like this draft overall. A lot of depth added. Jarvis could be a top 6 winger some day and will likely feature for team Canada at the WJCs. Wallinder in the 2nd that late is a steal, a big mobile two way defender and again likely to feature at the WJCs. Grieg is likely pegged as a 3rd line center with some upside as a 2nd line center, skilled and feisty. Hunt is a wild card, he was probably projected as a 1st rounder as a 16 year old and fell off due to injuries but he has a lot of skill and upside. Duran I have seen on a few lists as a darkhorse, lots of size and skill but playing at a lower level drops him in the draft, will play in the USHL next year then off to Providence college. Goalie rounds out the draft no nothing about him other then he has projectable size and good numbers in the Q

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At 12 Askarov was still available so I made a trade with Ottawa and acquired the 21st pick,49th pick and 95th pick of the draft(I think it likely I would try to acquire a 2nd round pick in next years draft IMO but this doesn't allow that)

I like this draft overall. A lot of depth added. Jarvis could be a top 6 winger some day and will likely feature for team Canada at the WJCs. Wallinder in the 2nd that late is a steal, a big mobile two way defender and again likely to feature at the WJCs. Grieg is likely pegged as a 3rd line center with some upside as a 2nd line center, skilled and feisty. Hunt is a wild card, he was probably projected as a 1st rounder as a 16 year old and fell off due to injuries but he has a lot of skill and upside. Duran I have seen on a few lists as a darkhorse, lots of size and skill but playing at a lower level drops him in the draft, will play in the USHL next year then off to Providence college. Goalie rounds out the draft no nothing about him other then he has projectable size and good numbers in the Q
Great job. I'm also very interested in exploring options to trade down and add another 2nd. Wallinder and Grieg could be really good additions, and at 21 there should be a lot of talent remaining of a similar quality as at #12.

I like the big goalie as a late pick.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

If we could land Wallinder at 43 I would be doing back flips. Slick trade down and way to add value Joe.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great job. I'm also very interested in exploring options to trade down and add another 2nd. Wallinder and Grieg could be really good additions, and at 21 there should be a lot of talent remaining of a similar quality as at #12.

I like the big goalie as a late pick.

The only way I wouldn’t trade down to #21 (buyer willing) is if the Jets were in love with the prospect they perceived fell to them at #12 for example a Rossi or Raymond type.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The only way I wouldn’t trade down to #21 (buyer willing) is if the Jets were in love with the prospect they perceived fell to them at #12 for example a Rossi or Raymond type.
If they believe Lundell or someone is a 2c I’d rather fill that hole than get 2 for 1. After all a top 6 winger like Jarvis doesn’t fill a hole. Neither does another good d if he isn’t top pairing.
I’d trade a number of players for a 2c so think if you can draft one. Than again Cirelli went 71st.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Haven’t they been rebuilding for awhile and still are so far from being good.
Yah, they need 5 more better Dmen, and 3 more lines of better production, producers and a top-rated goalie. And a better coaching system.
Despite having over 40 potential ( after this draft) NHL decent players.
They need to find a winning culture and structure, I guess.
Probably just need a new GM, new owner(s) and a new city to play out of! Hee, hee, hee...pure fun snarkasm here.
Will be interesting to see them develop all the young talent sooner than later.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
What's with this "trading down" stuff? Hasn't worked in Chevy's, Jets favour in the past! Logan Stanley pick trading down to get him for example. How's that going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad