Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Colorado Avalanche Draft Profile: Effective Anton Lundell

I
came across this article on Anton Lundell and while I admit to worry about his skating, it is definitely a skill that can be improved upon with dedication and practice with a proper skating coach.

Lundell has long been one of my favourite prospects for this draft and in a strong development organization, he can reach his top 6 centre potential which coincidentally is the Jets’ biggest organizational need.

If he is on the Jets radar, my fear is that he slips out of the top 10 into the waiting arms of the Minnesota Wild at #11 who select him as their next Koivu lite player.

Again just speculating, but if he is a target for Chevy, I’d like to see Chevy swing a minor deal to leapfrog Minnesota to pick #8/#9/#10. Cost shouldn’t be extreme to move up a few slots,

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I
came across this article on Anton Lundell and while I admit to worry about his skating, it is definitely a skill that can be improved upon with dedication and practice with a proper skating coach.

Lundell has long been one of my favourite prospects for this draft and in a strong development organization, he can reach his top 6 centre potential which coincidentally is the Jets’ biggest organizational need.

If he is on the Jets radar, my fear is that he slips out of the top 10 into the waiting arms of the Minnesota Wild at #11 who select him as their next Koivu lite player.

Again just speculating, but if he is a target for Chevy, I’d like to see Chevy swing a minor deal to leapfrog Minnesota to pick #8/#9/#10. Cost shouldn’t be extreme to move up a few slots,
Or we could could get Mercer or Zary who reports make look just as good And by not trading up we are not paying anything. They all look equally good.

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Or we could could get Mercer or Zary who reports make look just as good And by not trading up we are not paying anything. They all look equally good.

Maybe, but I’m just not as high on Zary as some others. Maybe there is no trade up if Minnesota has someone else rated higher. Maybe Lundell goes to one of those teams picking in the #8/#9/#10 spots.

Personally if he’s my guy, I don’t sit by hoping he falls to us but they may or may not have others similarly rated.

Only time will tell.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I

They would have to love Lundell to trade up and the last time we did that it was for Logan Stanley.

The one thing I agree with is that you can never have too many centres. I believe he will be a centre in the NHL. I am compelled by his brain and I love smart centres. My enthusiasm is dampened by my lack of love for his edge work and offensive tools.

If we draft him at #12 I will be “pleased“, hopeful, but not excited. That being said that goes for everyone outside my top 8.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They would have to love Lundell to trade up and the last time we did that it was for Logan Stanley.

The one thing I agree with is that you can never have too many centres. I believe he will be a centre in the NHL. I am compelled by his brain and I love smart centres. My enthusiasm is dampened by my lack of love for his edge work and offensive tools.

If we draft him at #12 I will be “pleased“, hopeful, but not excited. That being said that goes for everyone outside my top 8.
I would agree. I have a hard time focusing on a favourite prospect outside of the top 8 or 9. I'd be happy with several of them, but not sure which would excite me.

The contenders:

Jarvis - high octane / skilled RW who could eventually fit in the top 6.
Mercer - high skill and high energy, more likely a RW but might slide into C (like Roslovic). Another potential top 6 forward.
Holloway - big, fast and aggressive, with very good hands. Offensive upside is a bit unknown, but would complement the Jets skilled top 6 quite well.
Lundell - solid C who has produced well, but lacks some "pop" in his game. Think of a player like Copp with more offense and less speed, or a more offensively polished Gustafsson. Could be a future 2C.
Sanderson - good size and mobility, projects as a shutdown D with good transition skills. Top-4 D, and perhaps a first line shutdown LHD.
Zary - smart and skilled C with some "bite" to his game. Might lack a really high ceiling, but projects as a potential 2C.
Quinn - skilled scoring RW with a good all-around game. Late bloomer and late riser. Projects as a potential top 6 RW that can score, while playing in all zones.
Amirov - highly skilled all-around LW, who drives play. Projects as a potential 2-3LW who will produce and can play in all situations.

Some longer shots that would be of some interest to me...

Guhle - big, aggressive LHD with very good skating and a good shot. Projects as a shutdown 2nd pairing LD, who might produce with his shot.
Schneider - big, mature RHD with decent mobility and good passing. Projects as a potential 2nd pairing defensive RHD, with limitations on his offensive. Think of a less dashing Trouba.
Wallinder - big LHD with great skating and good hands. Boom/bust type of prospect, that could be a productive top-4 D.
Bourque - smart offensive C, with good vision and skills. Lacks some size and speed, but might be a playmaking C at the NHL level if he gains some speed.
Khusnutdinov - small, skilled C who plays a very smart game. Size and Russian origin might make him a longer term option, but could have upside to play as high as 2C.
Gunler - dynamic offensive RW who could be a scoring 2RW at the NHL level. Some questions about his commitment/consistency, but seems to play hard fairly consistently.
Perreault - highly skilled RW who is strong and fast. Concerns about his consistency in playing at high pace, but might project as high as a 2RW.
Lapierre - skilled and well-rounded C that profiles as a playmaker, but lots of questions about health after a couple of concussions and/or neck injuries. If he's healthy, could have a ceiling of playmaking 2C.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I wouldn't mind knowing your current top 8 if you're willing to share!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't mind knowing your current top 8 if you're willing to share!
I'm just a casual observer, but here's my top 20.... (excluding goalie Askarov). My list changes often...

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Rossi
Raymond
Drysdale
Perfetti
Lundell
Sanderson
Holtz
Quinn
Jarvis
Mercer
Holloway
Amirov
Zary
Wallinder
Gunler
Guhle
Lapierre

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My top 10

1. Lafreniere - Pretty much a no brainer at this point. A future Nathan Mackinnon for someone
2. Byfield - I don't think it is as clear cut as it used to be here but I would be hard pressed to pass on this guy
3. Stutzle - He is not Draisaitl but he is pretty damm good. A winger I think in the NHL like a Panarin
4. Drysdale - I think he could be the 2nd best player from the draft
5. Perfetti - I find it hard to place guys now. There is a group of wingers that could go anywhere here and I like Perfetti most. He was so good at the Hlinka
6. Raymond - Super skilled and smart.
7. Holtz - great release another smart skilled winger
8. Rossi - I like him but I am less enamored with him then some. I am not sure he will be a number 1 in the NHL
9. Guhle - I think he is going to be a complete stud in the NHL
10 . Lapierre - I think Hendrix is the guy that will fall into someone's lap later on and be a steal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My top 10

1. Lafreniere - Pretty much a no brainer at this point. A future Nathan Mackinnon for someone
2. Byfield - I don't think it is as clear cut as it used to be here but I would be hard pressed to pass on this guy
3. Stutzle - He is not Draisaitl but he is pretty damm good. A winger I think in the NHL like a Panarin
5. Perfetti - I find it hard to place guys now. There is a group of wingers that could go anywhere here and I like Perfetti most. He was so good at the Hlinka
8. Rossi - I like him but I am less enamored with him then some. I am not sure he will be a number 1 in the NHL
10 . Lapierre - I think Hendrix is the guy that will fall into someone's lap later on and be a steal.
Thanks.

Interesting take on Guhle. I haven't seen him enough, but I wonder if he has the offensive skillset to be a really top D. He reminds me a bit of Trouba, or maybe Josh Manson.

Lapierre is really interesting, and I would rank him higher if it weren't for the risk based on his injuries. It's not just the concerns about future health, but also whether it will alter the way he plays, to be more conservative. I wouldn't mind the idea of trading down in the 1st and hoping to pick up Lapierre early in the 2nd. He'll probably be gone by then - McKenzie had him ranked at #16 in January. He probably dropped since then, but maybe not out of the 1st round.

But I'd be happy with a draft that went something like this...

#21 (from Ottawa for #12): Guhle or Wallinder or Amirov
#33 (from Ottawa for #12): Lapierre
#43 (own pick): Wiesblatt or Khusnutdinov or Foudy or Sourdif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My top 10

Nice list. Rank 2-4 on my list are pretty close to each other. Hockey IQ is the attribute I value highest which is why Stutzle and Drusdale have a slight edge over Byfield on my list.

I also quite like Lapierre and would be happy to take him at 12 or wherever we pick.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
OK here are my 9-20 rank:

9) Holtz
10) Mercer
11) Sanderson
12) Lapierre
13) Jarvis
14) Zary
15) Lundell
15) Guhle
17) Holloway
18) Forester
19) Amirov
20) Schneider

untouchable21

Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Thanks.

Interesting take on Guhle. I haven't seen him enough, but I wonder if he has the offensive skillset to be a really top D. He reminds me a bit of Trouba, or maybe Josh Manson.

Lapierre is really interesting, and I would rank him higher if it weren't for the risk based on his injuries. It's not just the concerns about future health, but also whether it will alter the way he plays, to be more conservative. I wouldn't mind the idea of trading down in the 1st and hoping to pick up Lapierre early in the 2nd. He'll probably be gone by then - McKenzie had him ranked at #16 in January. He probably dropped since then, but maybe not out of the 1st round.

But I'd be happy with a draft that went something like this...

#21 (from Ottawa for #12): Guhle or Wallinder or Amirov
#33 (from Ottawa for #12): Lapierre
#43 (own pick): Wiesblatt or Khusnutdinov or Foudy or Sourdif

Agreed, if they feel they can still grab a solid player at #21 while picking up an extra 2nd ten spots before their own pick, I’d be down for that.

Not sure who my preferences for those picks would be, but there could be several intriguing options/combinations dependent on how things unfold.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
OK here are my 9-20 rank:

9) Holtz
10) Mercer
11) Sanderson
12) Lapierre
13) Jarvis
14) Zary
15) Lundell
15) Guhle
17) Holloway
18) Forester
19) Amirov
20) Schneider
Interesting and thoughtful list. If Lapierre never really recovers from his concussions / neck injuries, taking him in the top 10-12 will be a real blow. I think you'd have to be convinced that he would be a home run, if his injuries turn out to be not a long term issue.

Whenever I think about Lundell vs. other prospects like Zary, I wonder how they would perform if their situations were flipped. How would Zary have performed in the Liiga over the past two seasons? Hard to know, but it illustrates the challenge of comparing between leagues at different levels.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting and thoughtful list. If Lapierre never really recovers from his concussions / neck injuries, taking him in the top 10-12 will be a real blow. I think you'd have to be convinced that he would be a home run, if his injuries turn out to be not a long term issue.

Whenever I think about Lundell vs. other prospects like Zary, I wonder how they would perform if their situations were flipped. How would Zary have performed in the Liiga over the past two seasons? Hard to know, but it illustrates the challenge of comparing between leagues at different levels.

The risks are real in Lapierre but according to himself he is fully healthy and has been working hard on his weaknesses i.e shot. I think finding out that it was likely the neck issue that was causing him issues likely really helped his psyche. But team will have to do their homework.

Tough to say on Lundell and situations. I will admit I've lost some Lustre on a players offensive performance in the top Finish league vs other leagues. We've seen plenty of high scoring forwards have significant issues translating that offense in NA lately. Not sure his offense is all that indicative of much when compared to a high scoring CHL player.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Great lists! Ill chime in again but with less detail this time.
1. Laf - Can't wait to watch him in the Show
2. Byfield - He will be a force
3. Stutzle - I think he can go #2, he's that good
4. Rossi - Compete level is second to none
5. Perfetti - I really like this player, highest hockey IQ in this draft
6. Holtz - I see him as a poor man's Laine, some posters have him for too low. Elite shooter that will score a ton
7. Raymond - He drives play better than Holtz and is more well rounded overall
8. Drysdale - I like him, just not as much as others and feel Sanderson has closed the gap
9. Lundell - Great shut down two way centre with under rated offense
10 Quinn - I have liked him for a while, kid can score
11. Sanderson - A very good shut down D, offense is developing
12. Askarov
13. Zary - Bryan Little 2.0
14. Guhle - He may go higher, he's the complete package
15. Holloway - Competes hard, offense is there
16. Mercer - Hard working, middle six centre
17. Jarvis - Drives play, produces, but is he really 5'10 or 5'8?
18. Mysak - Skill Skill Skill
19. Gunler - Kid has a motor
20. Schneider - A bit raw but has the tools
Lappiere will go top 20 if health is good.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What I love about Marco Rossi is he brings an underrated low-key dominance. I believe he will be ranked in the top three in redrafts and be a special NHLer for years to come. He's very strong with his stick and the puck.

If he lands in the Jets lap I'd hope Chevy takes him, but I imagine they draft a player we have no idea about but turns into a real stud.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What I love about Marco Rossi is he brings an underrated low-key dominance. I believe he will be ranked in the top three in redrafts and be a special NHLer for years to come. He's very strong with his stick and the puck.

If he lands in the Jets lap I'd hope Chevy takes him, but I imagine they draft a player we have no idea about but turns into a real stud.

I would be quite happy with Rossi but I wonder if Maurice would be willing to let a player of his size play center on our team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would be quite happy with Rossi but I wonder if Maurice would be willing to let a player of his size play center on our team.
Little isn't very big. Hayes is huge. I don't see evidence that Maurice wouldn't use performance as the criterion.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Little isn't very big. Hayes is huge. I don't see evidence that Maurice wouldn't use performance as the criterion.

Little isn't very big at 5"11 but Rossi is very small at 5"9. I have been proven wrong before but to me it seems likely to be moved to the wing like a similar sized player in Petan.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Little isn't very big at 5"11 but Rossi is very small at 5"9. I have been proven wrong before but to me it seems likely to be moved to the wing like a similar sized player in Petan.
Rossi plays a much bigger game than many 5'9" players. He's very strong and solid on his skates, unlike Petan.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bob Mckenzie tends to produce draft lists that are quite accurate with respect to how NHL scouts / teams rank draft prospects. So, as a guide to where prospects might be picked, his list is a useful resource.

So far, Mckenzie has only published his mid-season report, on January 30th. However, there wasn't that much hockey / scouting after that time, so it seems unlikely that there will be really big changes in draft rankings from that list to now. However, there might be some risers and fallers, based on how they might have played down the stretch. I've compiled a quick analysis of Mckenzie's projected 1st round list (along with a few additional prospects of potential interest) to show which players might have increased or decreased their stock down the stretch, based on points/game. The following chart shows the ratio of points/game down the stretch vs. points/game at the time of Mckenzie's mid-term draft ranking. Players above 1 increased their point production down the stretch, and players below 1 had their production drop after the mid-term ranking.

Risers:

Sanderson - big uptick in production, which has likely increased his stock.
Holloway - slow start in the NCAA, but had a strong end to the season.
Jarvis - big riser down the stretch, with his stock rising on many boards.
Bourque - had a strong stretch drive, but might have been skewed by one 7-point game down the stretch.
Gunler - might be a bit of a wild card in this draft.

upload_2020-5-22_15-13-11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad