Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What's with this "trading down" stuff? Hasn't worked in Chevy's, Jets favour in the past! Logan Stanley pick trading down to get him for example. How's that going?

I think I meant trade up but that sounds like one is getting better in life but only in hockey does it mean getting worse.. Moving from #12 to #21 but adding a 2nd round pick was the discussion point.

With Stanley we moved the other direction (I guess that is trading down) and since he was literally the one player I singled out on draft day as the prospect I didn’t want any piece of in the 1st round I own the “Logan Stanley WTF Zinger” tour shirt.

I think at about 12 (faller notwithstanding) in this draft there is a massive tier that extends beyond 21. That being said the trade is not going to happen so it’s just idle speculation to kill time in our off season before we play Calgary.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
With only 4 picks in the draft I don't mind trading down a bit if we can add an extra few picks in the top 3 rounds but more important than more picks to me is positional need this year. Best player available and all that but what I see is you can't trade for high end Cs or top pair RHD in less there is some other factor forcing the other team's hand. (trade demand, cap casualty, etc.)

As a result in my mock I went with:

12th - Hendrix Lapierre (a home run swing) - Lundell, Halloway and Askarov were there as well.
43rd - Helge Grans - RD
136th - Rhett Rhineart - RD 6'4 - physical - defensive according to the mock site.
167th - Blake Bondi - Playmaking C from Hermantown High School. Pionk, Samberg, Bondi. We are Hermantown!

In my view for the foreseeable future we don't need prospects that are top 6 wingers (Vesalainen and Roslovic already can't find a spot), LHD (JMO, Samberg, Heinola, Dahlstrom, Niku, Stanley, Chisholm) or a goalie as Helle is still signed for 4 more years, but the idea of taking Askarov does cross my mind from time to time as in 4 years when Helle is 32 and potentially about to decline Askarov would be ready to take over. Maybe even trade Helle with a couple years left on his deal if we could pull a 1st round pick in return. Generally I'm against goalies in the 1st round, but I wouldn't have to worry about whose in net for then next 15 years so there is some appeal to that for me.

I focused on top 6 Cs and RD with our 4 picks because 1) the players were there when I was picking and 2 we don't have time to mess around at positions we don't need with so few picks.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
In my mock scenario the following had happened in the draft sim

Lundell was gone at 12
Sanderson was the top pick left
Askarov was still there
Holloway was gone
Quinn and Lapierre were there

I tried the trade function and they use a value system. The 12 pick has a value of 8250 and you can't go over that number. I would rather have the 21st and 33rd pick from Ottawa but that goes over that value. Same thing with a few other scenarios like getting the 21st,49th and 64th picks, I would think those 2 scenarios are likely as opposed to the one I took or getting a 2021 2nd rounder which is actually what I would try to do because as of right now I believe that draft to be really deep as compared to this one

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lundell was gone at 12
Askarov was still there
Holloway was gone

I tried the trade function and they use a value system. The 12 pick has a value of 8250 and you can't go over that number. I would rather have the 21st and 33rd pick from Ottawa but that goes over that value. Same thing with a few other scenarios like getting the 21st,49th and 64th picks, I would think those 2 scenarios are likely as opposed to the one I took or getting a 2021 2nd rounder which is actually what I would try to do because as of right now I believe that draft to be really deep as compared to this one
It's kind of addictive...

I've tried a few trade down scenarios (from #12). Here are a couple of examples...

A. #12 for #15, #99, #104, #161 (NJD)

Dylan Holloway (C/LW, NCAA)
Helge Grans (RD, Swe J20)
Tristen Robins (C, WHL)
Ethan Cardwell (C, OHL)
Ian Moore (RD, USHS)
Dylan Garand (G, WHL)
Samuel Johannesson (RD, SHL)

B. #12, #136 for #21, #33, #167 (OTT)

Seth Jarvis (RW, WHL)
William Wallinder (LD, Swe J20)
Lucas Reichel (LW/C, DEL)
Connor McClennnon (RW, WHL)

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Jets
(12) Dylan Holloway, C
(43) Justin Barron, RD
(136) Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, C
(167) Stephen Halliday, LW

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeg Jets
(12) Dylan Holloway, C
(43) Justin Barron, RD
Interesting group.

I like Holloway more than many seem to.

Justin Barron is an intriguing RD that might be undervalued at this point. He's a terrific skater and could bounce back to be a top prospect.

Fontaine could be one of those over-age US junior forwards that Max Giese identifies and turns out well, a la Copp, Appleton, Foley.

I don't know anything about Halliday.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I realize that the interest in the 2020 draft has toned down, now that it has been postponed until the Fall.

But there is a nice draft simulator app to look at various scenarios, and it allows for selecting for a given team based on a list of predicted players available. draftsim

I ran through the simulator once, and ended up selecting the following for the Jets...

#12 - Jack Quinn (RW - Ottawa, OHL)
#43 - Ozzy Wiesblatt (RW - Prince Albert, WHL)
#136 - Ethan Cardwell (C - Barrie, OHL)
#167 - Grant Slukynsky (C - Warroad, USHS)

I'd be interested in seeing what draft picks others select in the simulator (it only takes a few minutes).

I picked:
#12 - Anton Lundell (C - HIFK, Liiga)
#43 - Helge Grans (RD - Malmo, SHL)
and I have no idea for the rest.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haven’t they been rebuilding for awhile and still are so far from being good.

Not really. It was only 3 years ago that they had a deep PO run. Since then, they have been in the tear-down phase. The real rebuild starts this year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lundell was gone at 12
Askarov was still there
Holloway was gone

One thing that becomes clear when you look at various simulations is how the talent tends to even out from around #10 through the early 20s, and some really solid talent available into the middle of the 2nd round. Unless there's a clear preference at #12, this seems like a good year to trade down in the first to add later picks. Askarov could be a real wild card if he's available at the Jets' pick because there might be a couple of teams like NJ and Ott that would be interested in moving up for him.

Also, if the Jets play in to the playoffs, picking at around #17 or #18 probably won't make that much of a difference.

Reactions: ps241

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Winnipeg Jets
(12) Dylan Holloway, C
(43) Justin Barron, RD

Damn, we got to get us that Gunnarwolfe guy. He would be my favourite prospect for his name alone. That's like some heroic character from a medieval saga. Or maybe a Rammstein song. :laugh:

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Damn, we got to get us that Gunnarwolfe guy. He would be my favourite prospect for his name alone. That's like some heroic character from a medieval saga. Or maybe a Rammstein song. :laugh:

He also has really nice stats in the USHL although he's 19.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I turned down the "team needs" slide bar a bit and tried it a few times. Also did a trade down with Ottawa as there wasn't a player that fell to 12 that I thought was a sure thing.

Traded #12, #136 for #21, #33, #167.

Ended up with the following and feel like I would be pretty stoked if it ended up this way (know nothing on Grant Slukynsky):

upload_2020-6-12_15-24-30.png

Did it without trading down and got:

upload_2020-6-12_15-41-24.png

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I turned down the "team needs" slide bar a bit and tried it a few times. Also did a trade down with Ottawa as there wasn't a player that fell to 12 that I thought was a sure thing.

Traded #12, #136 for #21, #33, #167.

Ended up with the following and feel like I would be pretty stoked if it ended up this way (know nothing on Grant Slukynsky):

View attachment 349809

Did it without trading down and got:

View attachment 349811
I really like the 1st one, and would be fine with the 2nd.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Nice drafts

Rhett Rhinehart is a late birthday. Big boy with good skill. He just hasn't shown much offensive upside yet and I thought he would be better after his trade to the Blades. He gave them solid minutes but no offense. I am not sure I like this early in the draft

Gage Goncalves had a real breakthrough season. He is an 18 year old but at this point in the draft he would be a good flyer on a potential bottom 6 player

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I kind of like this one, with no trades. I just dialed down the "team needs" weight a but, and voila...

Screenshot_20200612-193213~2.png

Reactions: ps241

None

Feb 22, 2012
WZFAI8n.png

8-15 went like this
8) Alexander Holtz - Montreal
9) Yaroslav Askarov - Chicago
10) Jack Quinn - New Jersey
11) Jake Sanderson - Minnesota
12) Connor Zary - Winnipeg
13) Hendrix Lapierre - Calgary
14) Anton Lundell - NYR
15) Dylan Holloway - New Jersey

Edit: Forgot to mention that I tweaked the team needs around a little bit
8i9031P.png

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My rebuttal to that is what does next year's draft look like in regards to "team needs"and defencemen? Personally, I'm all for BPA, however looking down the line to the next drafts I think is crucial to round out the crop
Team needs stay the same till we address that centre position.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Team needs stay the same till we address that centre position.
I think there might be a couple sneaky good centres where we pick regardless. This whole play in I'm looking as a win win. Maybe we go on a run and pick later or God forbid we win the cup. Not holding my breath... However if we get knocked out quick we might get a choice pick. I'm pretty content either way, and it's just nice to be talking about something else than the other bs

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There's a good chance that the Jets play into the playoffs, in which case they are likely to pick at #17 or #18.

Based on the draft simulator, there will still be some very good options there.

I ran it a few times with the Jets in the #17 slot (via trade option) and here are some of the players commonly available.

Jarvis
Mercer
Lapierre
Guhle
Gunler
Zary

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad