2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
don't really agree but I'd need to see the attendance records in the late '90's. Seems like the bell center sells no matter what, we just had in the previous season where we failed to win at least 30 games. That's only happened 1 other time since the '60's and in was during those dark years of the late '90's/early '00's. You really think if they didn't rebound this year that the fans wouldn't be there, buying tickets, overpriced crappy beer, etc..

Look at how long it's been since this team was a cup contender, let alone actually in the finals, yet in all that time what's changed? The owners a couple times, 5 or 6 GM's, 5 head coaches hired since '97 with 2 repeats. Yet the results are the same, miss the playoffs, make the playoffs and out in round 1 or 2 90% of the time. Have they ever had attendance problems over that span? I'm asking cause I don't feel like looking it up and it's not something I ever pay attention to but it just seems like they always sell well over the last 30 years despite very little results.

Where I do agree is that it's a very tough market but not for that reason, but because the media are nuts and the fan base is so bi-polar.

If there was empty seats I wonder if a lot of that was forced when a lot of corporations moved to Toronto or wherever.

Plus, Montreal almost always spent as much as they could, except for recently, and that bought us a middling team.

I don’t really care about the Cup that much anymore but I do want a good team to watch. If we beat Boston and/or Toronto in the playoffs I’d be happy.

Reactions: Aspirine

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Lafrenière, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Domi, Drouin, Suzuki, Poehling, Gallagher, etc... The talent up front would be ridiculous.

Imagine

Lafrenière - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Ylönen - Poehling - Suzuki
Drouin - Domi - Gallagher

We could legitimately roll three lines

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Just because they got lucky this year means squat for any other year miracles like Caufield dropping dont happen that often so yes ill still be pissed at 14 or 15 this year
Yeah you're right, it was luck this year.
2016 McAvoy, Chychrun
2015: DeBrusk, Barzal
2014: Larkin, Sanheim

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Picking a player who could maybe score PPG for this **** ****ing no offense team for 2 decades >>>> watching the Canadiens struggle to score again.
Pretty much impossible to get Lafreniere unless we get insanely lucky. However, if we finish last or 2nd last, we could get one of Laf, Byfield, Raymond, Lundell or Holtz.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm saying the top ten could score PPG as they have that upside. And I'd take that any day over one season of okay hockey.

Yep, I'll take the player thanks. bUt WaT aBoUt CaUfIeLd!? People were saying that it doesn't matter if we pick 15th or 16th. I think it did. The quality of player available at each pick in a draft is monotonically increasing.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think it's interesting how even with both objective and subjective measures showing the value of picking even a spot higher, there are still people who will try to use anectodal evidence showing good players are still available at a given spot.

Of course, Barzal was available at 15.

However, he was also available at 4, along with Marner, Provorov, Meier, Werenski, Rantanen and everyone else in the draft. I'll take those odds if it means trading a player (for even more futures, such as the actual 16th pick) that won't have a significant impact once the team is ready to compete once again.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
we're not getting lafreniere unless we trade for the 1st overall pick. this team is not good but its also nowhere near bad enough to finish bottom 10.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yep, I'll take the player thanks. bUt WaT aBoUt CaUfIeLd!? People were saying that it doesn't matter if we pick 15th or 16th. I think it did. The quality of player available at each pick in a draft is monotonically increasing.
Really? I think picking at 16th would have been unreal too. Heck even 17th would have been great. We had to chose between Caufield, Newhook and Krebs. That's pretty damn good. There are always steals available in mid to late teens.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Really? I think picking at 16th would have been unreal too. Heck even 17th would have been great. We had to chose between Caufield, Newhook and Krebs. That's pretty damn good. There are always steals available in mid to late teens.

I defoes prefered having the ability to pick Caufield over the inability to pick Caufield. I could hardly believe we had the chance.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
we're not getting lafreniere unless we trade for the 1st overall pick. this team is not good but its also nowhere near bad enough to finish bottom 10.

I'm really hoping for some crazy lotto win after just finishing out of the playoffs again. Absolute best case scenario. The conspiracy talk would be endless and I'd love it. At the very least MB is not afraid to get dirty. Rig the SOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad