2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I really only know those top 5-6 names and even then I know little about them. I think if we can get a bonafide blue chipper we'll be in great shape moving forward.

This year will give us a lot of information about what we specifically need as well. We'll enter next draft knowing more or less how KK and Poehling are turning out. Or, at least, we'll have a lot of information. We might actually need a winger after all these years of needing centers.

Lucas Raymond or Alexis Lafrenière would be absolutely unbelievable.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This year will give us a lot of information about what we specifically need as well. We'll enter next draft knowing more or less how KK and Poehling are turning out. Or, at least, we'll have a lot of information. We might actually need a winger after all these years of needing centers.

But Lundell

Reactions: Aspirine

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah we'd be starting to look like a team that has a forward group where being perennial contenders doesn't look out of the question. tons of pieces to trade for a high end d man if we need it which we very well could.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
yeah we'd be starting to look like a team that has a forward group where being perennial contenders doesn't look out of the question. tons of pieces to trade for a high end d man if we need it which we very well could.

I'm pumped for this season: we're going to get a lot of information about our big names, one way or the other. Brook, Poehling, Suzuki are all making the jump to pro. Right now these guys are magic beans: they could end up being great. I'm just saying, they could all break the right way for us. I'm not saying they will. But they could. This is to say nothing of Caufield, Romanov, Ylönen and Primeau.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really only know those top 5-6 names and even then I know little about them. I think if we can get a bonafide blue chipper we'll be in great shape moving forward.

the problem is with Price we likely won't be seeing a top 5 pick outside of getting really lucky at the lotto or trading picks/prospects/players to move up. I could see MB wanting to make a big splash since it's in his building and with all those Q players he knows he's going to get a ton of heat if he doesn't try to land one depending on how the draft shakes out by next June.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
the problem is with Price we likely won't be seeing a top 5 pick outside of getting really lucky at the lotto or trading picks/prospects/players to move up. I could see MB wanting to make a big splash since it's in his building and with all those Q players he knows he's going to get a ton of heat if he doesn't try to land one depending on how the draft shakes out by next June.
Yeah, right now that team might not be good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to end as low as one would like, still injuries to key players might happen, we could sell big at the deadline if we are going nowhere ect. On the other side a kid like Poehling could surprise while Suzuki and Brook could jump in at some point in the season and help for a playoffs push... Overall, I think we are about in the same position we were last year, what is rather depressing as a fan if no signifiant moves are done before the season starts...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, right now that team might not be good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to end as low as one would like, still injuries to key players might happen, we could sell big at the deadline if we are going nowhere ect. On the other side a kid like Poehling could surprise while Suzuki and Brook could jump in at some point in the season and help for a playoffs push... Overall, I think we are about in the same position we were last year, what is rather depressing as a fan if no signifiant moves are done before the season starts...

Injuries, regressions, perhaps the schedule is tougher, perhaps we're more the team that ended the season than the team that started the season, and maybe our division is better.

...I hesitate to actually argue the latter because Florida always finds a way to suck.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

This is why that draft worries me.

I love the direction that they have taken with their recent drafting philosophy. How much pressure does Molson put on them to select a french player despite there being better options on the board.

Maybe MB is preparing for this scenario by amassing extra picks to be used as "bonus picks" to be used to satisfy this pressure?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I love the direction that they have taken with their recent drafting philosophy. How much pressure does Molson put on them to select a french player despite there being better options on the board.

Maybe MB is preparing for this scenario by amassing extra picks to be used as "bonus picks" to be used to satisfy this pressure?

Just draft Lafreniere and they won’t talk about drafting French Canadiens ;)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Just draft Lafreniere and they won’t talk about drafting French Canadiens ;)

This also worries me because the truth is, if we want Lafreniere we can probably get him without tanking. We have the assets to acquire the 1st overall selection, the question is how far management is willing to go to do this.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Injuries, regressions, perhaps the schedule is tougher, perhaps we're more the team that ended the season than the team that started the season, and maybe our division is better.

...I hesitate to actually argue the latter because Florida always finds a way to suck.
Yeah teams like Buffalo, Florida, Rangers and Philly will all improve while Carolina, Islanders should be about the same level as last year... The only team that ended ahead of us that will surely end up below us is Columbus while Pitssburg could drop too, but maybe not enough to pass us toward the bottom... In the West well, Chicago is a lock to pass us while Vancouver has improved a good deal... Will be an interesting season for sure...

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
While the farm has improved greatly, it still lacks a bona fide elite prospect. Next year's crop is said to be deeper. If the Berg will be able to wrangle additional early picks, it would greatly advance the 'retool'.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't mind it cause it looks like they have a direction and are sticking to it, which is a bonus since at least it's not flip flopping back and forth between plans. Plus I think it's the right move, we just don't have the firepower to hang with the top teams in the east and Price can only do so much.

all those could certainly happen but unless it's an injury to Price, you are likely looking at instead of picking 15th, maybe we pick 9th-12th.

the good news is that there does at least seem to be some very good Q players this time around, but hopefully they don't feel the pressure and actually pick who they think is best. If it's really close and they go with the local kid then so be it. I'm sure Timmins thinks about that '09 draft a lot.

Dylan Holloway at Wisconson with Caufield and Turcotte will be an interesting one to follow.

The wisconsin fans i've read on college message boards seem to think he could be the best of the incoming Freshman, I'll get to see a lot of him as I get the Big 10 network on tv so I plan to catch as many games as possible.

While the farm has improved greatly, it still lacks a bona fide elite prospect. Next year's crop is said to be deeper. If the Berg will be able to wrangle additional early picks, it would greatly advance the 'retool'.

It's all about progression. We have Kotka, Suzuki, Caufeild, Brook, Primeau. These players have the skills to be elite NHLers and half of them have the physical tools to do with those skills but it's all a question of how much can they continue to progress. Take a look at Subban, if you watched him in the OHL, especially his age 19 season he was very good. But the next year he really took off in the AHL and imo a big part of why he was able to be so good was the physical development he made in strength. His lower body strength which is so key, was great. He had the skill and the physical tools to be a star.

Some kids just peak at 18,19,20 so we'll see what happens with these kids. If Suzuki can overcome his lack of physical tools and use his high skill and smarts, there's no telling how good he can be. Will he turn into a 90 pt forward, I wouldn't expect that to happen but it could especially if this group has a few hit their ceiling at the same time it will help the others since you can't really have just one guy lighting it up.

Granted the more likely thing is that we end up with several really good players, maybe one or two not end up doing better then expected while one or two worse. But with all the depth we have, someone else could step up. Ylonen, Harris, etc..

That said of course getting a top 2 pick, something we haven't had since 1980 would be sick and would do wonders for our future.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Got my first look at the USNDTP U-17 team while watching a game of Pitlick's when he was with Team Southwest which is made up of players from Minnesota USHS, the top players. This team was made up mostly from the big programs in the Minnesota USHS, Minnetonka (won the state tourny), Edina (where Anders Lee transferred to after leaving STA) and a few players from Pitlick's Chaska High. So just wanted to show that it's an elite travel team that USA faced, most of them would be in the 16-18 age range for Team Southwest while USA were all 16 year olds.

No one really stood out too much for USA. I liked Brock Faber on defense, a Notre Dame recruit, moved the puck well and good skater. Luke Tuch looked good as one of the bigger players on the team. He's a BU recruit. Ty Smilanic led USA with 3 pts, they said something about him being rumored to going to play in the CHL after next season but didn't say who owns his rights. Thomas Bordeleau at center ended up leading the team in scoring and they said he was the best player in the game the day before but he didn't do too much.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
This also worries me because the truth is, if we want Lafreniere we can probably get him without tanking. We have the assets to acquire the 1st overall selection, the question is how far management is willing to go to do this.
Probably not. When’s the last time a 1st overall was traded?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Probably not. When’s the last time a 1st overall was traded?

That is some terrible logic...

The reason 1st overall picks are rarely traded is the gross over payment that is necessary to acquire them. This is the reason I am worried as there may be outside political pressures on Molson to pony up a ridiculous bounty.

Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Domi, Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, Brook, Primeau, Romanov, 1st and 2nd round picks......... We clearly have the assets to make an offer nobody would refuse.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

The reason 1st overall picks are rarely traded is the gross over payment that is necessary to acquire them. This is the reason I am worried as there may be outside political pressures on Molson to pony up a ridiculous bounty.

Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Domi, Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, Brook, Primeau, Romanov, 1st and 2nd round picks......... We clearly have the assets to make an offer nobody would refuse.

The 1st overall pick of the NHL entry draft: where the endowment effect meets the winner's curse.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

I’m not worried because teams aren’t willing to trade down at the very top of the draft board unless it’s 1 spot at the very most and what would that be worth, a 2nd and maybe a 3rd at most, I’d do that in a heartbeat. I think you’re tripping for no good reason.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I’m not worried because teams aren’t willing to trade down at the very top of the draft board unless it’s 1 spot at the very most and what would that be worth, a 2nd and maybe a 3rd at most, I’d do that in a heartbeat. I think you’re tripping for no good reason.

I hope you are right but everything has a price.....

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We'll see what happens in the first 40 games of the season, I don't really care about our position before that.

That being said, I'll say this, we still don't have a star of any kind upfront - while we have great numbers of prospects. It's time for a change of tactic.

Reactions: Frank JT

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We'll see what happens in the first 40 games of the season, I don't really care about our position before that.

That being said, I'll say this, we still don't have a star of any kind upfront - while we have great numbers of prospects. It's time for a change of tactic.

Nah we just need 12 Danaults. We'll win the presidents trophy with 150 GF.

Reactions: atrud66

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
all those could certainly happen but unless it's an injury to Price, you are likely looking at instead of picking 15th, maybe we pick 9th-12th.

It seems to me it’s more likely if we’re not making the playoffs we’ll probably slide to the bottom of the standings. The two years we drafted 3rd overall we were way worse then any rational evaluation of the Habs would lead us to believe. I choose to have faith that if we aren’t doing well the boys will coast big time. I don’t think the fans will want or expect the guys to bring it every might if we are certain to miss the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad