2020 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
If the 2020 crop is as deep as it appears to be, it will be next to impossible to acquire additional 1st round picks. Teams tend to hang on greedily to them.

We will need to wait and see where everyone is at closer to the trade deadline next year. I don't see the Habs trading their first pick under any circumstance.

Reactions: Frank JT

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Our team including prospects is pretty deep right now. I see our future top 9 something like this:

X - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Drouin / Domi - Poehling - Suzuki
X - Danault - Gallagher

I think we need to look for a power forward in the 1st round next year to balance the size of the group. Who are the PFs projected in the top 10-15 in next year's draft?

Reactions: Vachon23 and Geecko

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If the 2020 crop is as deep as it appears to be, it will be next to impossible to acquire additional 1st round picks. Teams tend to hang on greedily to them.

We will need to wait and see where everyone is at closer to the trade deadline next year. I don't see the Habs trading their first pick under any circumstance.

Carolina, Ottawa, and TB already have additional picks. Maybe NYR too. Carolina for taking Marleau off Toronto's hands, and TB for dumping Miller onto Vancouver. Still can't believe that the Canucks gave up a 2020 1st for Miller (albeit they have to make the playoffs otherwise it defers to 2021. Still a potential top 20 pick). Ottawa gets San Jose's 2020 1st since they resigned E. Karlsson. If Stars resign Zuccarello then Rangers get their 2020 pick.

It's not impossible.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Wish we could do a Pollock and just steal a first rounder out of a potential bottom feeding team for a couple jabronis we don't even need. Too bad this ain't the 60's anymore :(

Reactions: Fenris

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
qTN-4Ff9aqaRE-1509954847.jpg

Anyone else have a big time man crush on Lucas Raymond?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Looking like a really deep 1st round. My really early 1st round ranking:

1. F - Lafreniere
2. F - Raymond
3. C - Lundell
4. F - Holtz
5. G - Askarov
6. C - Byfield
7. F - Gunler
8. F - Rossi
9. D - Barron
10. F - Perfetti
11. F - Pytlik
12. F - Nybeck
13. F - Holloway
14. F - Mysak
15. D - Drysdale
16. F - Stutzle
17. F - Lapierre
18. D - Guhle
19. C - Jarvis
20. F - Sanderson
21. F - Rochette
22. C - Lawrence
23. C - Bourque
24. F - Simontaival
25. F - Stranges
26. D - Cormier
27. F - Amirov
28. F - Smilanic
29. F - Bordeleau
30. D - Kleven
31. F - Rolston

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal

Except the f***ing NYR. They always get more 1sts. f***ers.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
How do Lafreniere and some of the other wingers compare to the top wingers from the past few drafts? I'm talking Kakko, Svechnikov, Laine et al before their draft seasons.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Lafreniere over Hughes and Kakko for me.
I wanna say first off I'm no pro scout or do I spend time scouting in person, I'm just a long time hockey player and fan giving his opinion.

I might've never seen him play live, but after watching highlights, clips or on TV I gotta agree. The best way I can describe his play from the little I've seen him is like a chess master playing hockey. He doesn't only have crazy puck handling, shooting, skating and finishing skills but his ability to see the play happen before it actually happens is impressive. His vision, positioning and ability is really what sets him apart (Cliches but this is really applicable here).

As much as I love the flashiness of Jack Hughes playing style, I think Lafreniere will be the better player simply because he doesn't need to be a flashy stickhandler and playmaker, it looks like he just keeps it simple to create efficient offensive drives. I think that simplicity will also make Lafreniere's style of play transition to the NHL much smoother than Jack Hughes playing style. Both will be very good and I'm excited to follow both careers. I just moved to Montreal recently and will probably check out some games once close to the area.

Is the Armada close and accessible to the Montreal Downtown Area?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Lafreniere over Laine, Kakko, Svechnikov, he has that uncanny ability that Crosby-Gretzky-Lemieux had (better than him), it seems like everything is so slow around them.

I don't really have a true comparable for Lafreniere that is relevant: A bit of Crosby, a bit of MacKinnon - but he's a weaker skater.

That being said, he's facing Lucas Raymond, aka. Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman: a supremely efficient hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad