2020 ECF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-2 (Pt.2)

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
McDonagh and Hedman both played 24 shifts. TOI: McDonagh 17:02 Hedman 29:07

Sergachev, Shattenkirk McDonagh Cernak played similar minutes,
Bogosian and Schenn less at 12 and 10, and Hedman beasts

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I'm creating a straw man? You clearly can't find a single instance where I suggested Barzal is better and clearly said I thought they were at a similar level. It's in the first quote I posted in this thread. Go back and read it a few more times because it's you creating the straw man.

Quote where I said "Barzal is better" or f*** off with that dumb shit. I clearly never suggested it.
You clearly suggested it, you've been quoted prior saying how you clearly think Barzal is better than Point in almost every aspect of the game. But apparently that doesn't equate to you saying he's better. Sure you didn't say it outright, but you've spent tons of posts saying how Point is inferior to Barzal in every other way.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
You clearly suggested it, you've been quoted prior saying how you clearly think Barzal is better than Point in almost every aspect of the game. But apparently that doesn't equate to you saying he's better. Sure you didn't say it outright, but you've spent tons of posts saying how Point is inferior to Barzal in every other way.

I did not. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Here's the argument I made:

I don't think one is clearly better than the other. Point was drafted with skating as his biggest weakness and he's improved that immensely. Barzal was weak defensively when he was drafted and has improved that immensely as well. I think where Point is clearly better is the goal scoring/faceoffs and where Barzal is clearly better is skating/puck carrying/playmaking. I would give the slight edge to Point overall defensively, but Barzal is not a slouch at all like some make him out to be. He's not far behind and both have Selke potential in the future.

Both are #1C's and great young players.

Read the bold again. And then a few more times. Take a step back, let it sink in. Head on over to dictionary.com if you need to.

Nowhere do I say the following:

"Barzal is better than Point in almost every aspect of the game"

Not just in that post, but in any of my posts.

You keep trying to put words in my mouth and thoughts in my mind. You're wrong, plain and simple.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This series has boiled down to 2 misplays on game winning goals (1 in game 2, 1 in game 3). Without one or both of those, this could be a 2-2 series or 3-1 Isles.

I dont feel like this is true at all. Honestly and I'm not disrespecting the islanders when I say this but out of all the ecf opponents we have had (flyers in 04, boston in 2011, nyr 15, pens 2016, and caps 2018) this islanders team has worried me the least. They don't have much threat to score. When they have the puck in our zone play has been pretty much kept to the outside. Martin's line has been the only one to get pucks to the net. And they aren't much to worry about skill wise. Barzal has been overrated. I think they have a good team but something is missing.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I'm telling you nbc sparked it. They were all over Barzal when it was clear that while he is the best islanders player in general he is far from the best in the series and probably not even the best player on his team this series. Nbc just gets its biased reporting going on. What's new with that?

Yes, they really didn't bother learning anything about our team, and since Barzal will turn and cut with the puck for 40 seconds before we don't get a shot off, he's the guy they talk about.

They could do a nice package on:
17-game point streak (HIGHLIGHTS!)
4th in the NHL thru Dec. 31 (Standings Graphic!)
But Adam Pelech gets hurt on Dec 31 (Clip of him limping off!)
Mediocrity from Jan 1 to March 12! (LOW LIGHTS)
Pelech returns for the playoffs (Montage of the dozens of subtle good plays he's made to break things up)

But why would they bother to actually inform people how the Islanders are still going in the playoffs, when they can just pit fans against each other over something stupid like Point vs Barzal?

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Clearly Barzal is showing possession isn't everything and he's great at holding the puck and Point is better at executing a play.

This generation of fans believes possession is the be all end all to a player's ability. It's clearly not.

Barzal is not better at the holding puck. He can't even hold Point's jockstrap. Yes, Point is better at executing a play.

Go Bolts

Aug 27, 2020
Tampa, FL
I love the Islander's grit and grind, but they are just outclassed by the 2020 Tampa Bay Lightning. No shame in that..............

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
This series has boiled down to 2 misplays on game winning goals (1 in game 2, 1 in game 3). Without one or both of those, this could be a 2-2 series or 3-1 Isles.

Yeah, no.

There were WAY MORE than 1 or 2 plays per game. Game 1 just no. Game 2, sure go ahead and make that claim. Game 3, is moot because the Islanders actually won that game (but they can say it!) and Game 4, there were three misplays that led to three TB goals.

But there's a massive difference between "We LOST because of 2 misplays" and "We would have WON if not for two misplays."

"Getting to OT in Game 2" isn't "winning." Not giving up 2 goals in 26 seconds after we score isn't "winning." Your best case scenario would be Game 1 to TB, Game 3 to NYI; Game 2 is still "next goal wins" and Game 4 is "Let's see what happens in the next TWENTY EIGHT MINUTES."

Every single second of this series, it's "Tampa is about to score in the next three minutes." You can feel it coming. A 1-goal lead for the Islanders is really tied, and tied is really losing. We've had a 2-goal lead TWICE in this series and we've only successfully kept it 50% of those times.

Because Tampa is better. We all know Tampa is better. If you want to beat Tampa, you're going to have to play mistake-free hockey and steal 4 wins in seven games. We made mistakes and they ended up in the back of our net.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Tampa has better offense than the Isles. Plain and simple. They have more scorers and can create from anywhere. The Islanders are way less effective coming forward and that is what separates them

Reactions: KuchieKooRov

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
What is the record in this series when TBL has Brayden Point in the lineup?

Tampa is the better team.. and its not close. *

* doing it without Steven Stamkos

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
Yeah, TB fans went hard in the paint in this thread, but it's mainly in response to claims we saw early in the thread that got blown out of the water. The other one was NYI's defense, 2-8 (one guy even said 1-6), being better than TB's. That's going to spark arguments, and, as the results of those arguments come in, it's going to spark some trash talk.

I actually think the comments regarding the Isles 1-6 being better than Tampa's 1-6 were more egregious.... I kept hearing how we had Hedman and that was it. Our defense is so much more offensively driven, its like night and day when compared to the Isles. I can't think of one defensman this series that has scared me teeing it up from the point. Columbus combo of Jones/Werenski, scared the hell out of me the way they were able to activate and create in the offensive zone. Boston had McAvoy and Krug... not quite as good in that series as the previous two were in the columbus series but they could still get your attention occasionally. So far in this series, the Isles D, has done nothing in our offensive end (other than maybe Leddy's goal in game 2, when it was 6-1 Tampa already??).

As far as the Barzal comments, I did say in my last post that I thought you (Konk - I respect that you admitted your opinion was off) were saying they were "even". But didn't agree with that assessment before the series and I especially don't after watching this series. Having said all that, this series isn't over yet, so maybe Barzal will carry the Isles to a game 5 and 6 victory and force a game 7. Who knows, but Point just seems like hes on another level. Playing hurt now and still having 2 point nights....

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Boy, the media sure can control the narrative sometimes. Even sports isn't immune to this, is it?

NBC started all this Point -vs- Barzal nonsense when they gushed over Barzal. When they stated Barzal was having a Point like night, after Point produced 5 points during previous game, they sure got the reaction they wanted from both fan-bases. Controversy sure gets enough fish on the hook, doesn't it? Why does society let media push their buttons so much and who cares what some NBCer thinks? NBC probably was just appeasing big market fans with this comparison anyways, but that's the nature of Busine$$. Both are solid players and there's nothing wrong with each fan-base being proud of their guy. Just don't let the media start something that shouldn't have been a discussion at that "point" in time (Pun intended). Anyways, Point went through hard-times during previous playoffs and has learned from it. Point was -11 during his first 2 playoffs -vs- +13 these playoffs but he is having one heck of a playoffs so far. Point has turned into a truly amazing player and hopefully he can continue down that path......

Now carry on with the Jerry Springer like environment, if you're into that sorta thing.......:scared:

Reactions: Hoek

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think there's merit to the criticism of Barzal trying to create too much offense from the perimeter, but I also think his linemates aren't helping. Eberle, in particular, is exacerbating the situation because he's playing a perimeter game and thus, any time Barzal passes to him, it's going to result in a perimeter chance. Lee's touch around the net seems to have disappeared, so I'm not sure what's up with him.

As a playmaker, you need your linemates to create time and space for you, either by driving the net and forcing the defense to back in or by getting open for a good scoring opportunity. Lee can sort of provide the former, but he's such a slow skater that by the time he drives to the net, Barzal has had to either slow up or do a loop looking for another option. Eberle doesn't really do either. He's too much of a perimeter guy to be someone who consistently goes to the net, and the spots he's getting open for a pass are on the outside where it's not all that dangerous.

I know Cizikas is out so it's likely not feasible right now, but I think a guy like Pageau could do well on Barzal's other wing in place of Eberle. He's got a decent scoring touch to bury his chances, and he's more willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice than Eberle is.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
As I noted before the series started, Tampa just has too much elite talent and depth for NYI to handle. Much ink has been spilled on Tampa's offense. What I think NYI fans - and others - have overlooked is Tampa's blueline. I think it is one of the deepest ever and will be hard to be recreated again; even Tampa has no shot of keeping it together next season. Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Bogosian (playing the best hockey of his career), Cernak, Schenn (playing the best hockey of his career), Shattenkirk, Coburn, and Rutta is absolutely filthy. It is a great combination of size, strength, speed, skill, poise, offense and defense.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think there's merit to the criticism of Barzal trying to create too much offense from the perimeter, but I also think his linemates aren't helping. Eberle, in particular, is exacerbating the situation because he's playing a perimeter game and thus, any time Barzal passes to him, it's going to result in a perimeter chance. Lee's touch around the net seems to have disappeared, so I'm not sure what's up with him.

As a playmaker, you need your linemates to create time and space for you, either by driving the net and forcing the defense to back in or by getting open for a good scoring opportunity. Lee can sort of provide the former, but he's such a slow skater that by the time he drives to the net, Barzal has had to either slow up or do a loop looking for another option. Eberle doesn't really do either. He's too much of a perimeter guy to be someone who consistently goes to the net, and the spots he's getting open for a pass are on the outside where it's not all that dangerous.

I know Cizikas is out so it's likely not feasible right now, but I think a guy like Pageau could do well on Barzal's other wing in place of Eberle. He's got a decent scoring touch to bury his chances, and he's more willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice than Eberle is.

I find it interesting how many excuses are made for Barzal.

I certainly don't see those same excuses for players playing for less liked franchises.

Barzal is a perimeter guy by nature, it's a flaw, but if you build a line around him and that flaw, you can nullify it for the most part. That's why I see Barzal as being a good winger away from a 90pt perennial threat.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad