2020 ECF: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | TBL leads 3-2 (Pt.2)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There were a handful of posts and when asked point blank which I thought was better I listed three things in Barzal's favor, three things in Points favor but that Barzal was closing the gap defensively. I started off by saying they were not far off from one another. You clearly ignored that previously and claimed I said "Barzal is better."

I never did. Period. I can admit where I was wrong, clearly the difference between you and I is that you cannot.

"I just think to try and act like he's above Barzal overall is a bit ridiculous." -- You

Reactions: DMXATF23

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
kinda crazy that point hedman and kucherov are all playing at a conn smythe level right now (hedman over 80% gf% at 5v5 which blows everyone out when you weed out small samples, point blowing everyone out in EVP + near the top in GF%, kucherov the only one in point's galaxy in EVP + near the top in GF% + penalty drawing machine)
To be honest, "only" Hedman and Point are playing at a CS level so far. I'm a big stat fan, but nothing betrays the eye-test. Kucherov took another level as soon as Point went down for sure, he was a turnover machine on many past games tho. Hell, I would say Palat's been more valuable in the absolute.

Reactions: DMXATF23

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To be honest, "only" Hedman and Point are playing at a CS level so far. I'm a big stat fan, but nothing betrays the eye-test. Kucherov took another level as soon as Point went down for sure, he was a turnover machine on many past games tho. Hell, I would say Palat's been more valuable in the absolute.

I think Kuch has definitely been very good (and even better in the last two games), but yeah, he's been a notch below the other two.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
"I just think to try and act like he's above Barzal overall is a bit ridiculous." -- You
Falls right in line with my other posts where I had put them at the same level or said they were not far off from one another.

Still doesn't state or equate the claim "Barzal is better overall" now does it?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Point's availability will be the main topic of interest coming out of this game. But not for the Isles, who are done, but for the potential that Point's absence in another game might force Tampa to play an extra game. Can't ask any more of the Isles than to take the series to six games.

And if you're the Lightning, after that Pelech hit. Do you play him and risk him being targeted? Do you sit him and risk having to play more games?

You play him and you try to end the series. There is no Point thinking ahead when you're not finished here yet.

Reactions: The Macho Man

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You must not have read a lot of the game day threads, particularly game one. And yes, I was responding to over 10 different Tampa fans that were making ridiculous claims about statements that were never made by Isles fans. It is not an exaggeration.
So dozens is now "ten".

Ok buddy. You are just proving my post.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think Kuch has definitely been very good (and even better in the last two games), but yeah, he's been a notch below the other two.
below the other two yeah

still playing at an insane level though. league wide its probably just the other bolts guys i said + shea theodore and miro heiskanen who have been better players than kuch.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Falls right in line with my other posts where I had put them at the same level or said they were not far off from one another.

Still doesn't state or equate the claim "Barzal is better overall" now does it?
Are you saying that stating that you think Point is better than Barzal overall is ridiculous, but that doesn't mean you think Barzal is better than Point? Holy hell, being a relationship with you must be absolutely tiresome.

Reactions: DFC

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
So dozens is now "ten".

Ok buddy. You are just proving my post.
You turned a dozen into dozens on your own. Much like DFC and others turned me saying Barzal and Point were similar/not far off from one another into "Barzal is better."

Here is exactly what I said:
It's not just one or two, it's a dozen morons who having reading comprehension deficiencies.

Thanks for proving my point about the reading abilities.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This series has boiled down to 2 misplays on game winning goals (1 in game 2, 1 in game 3). Without one or both of those, this could be a 2-2 series or 3-1 Isles.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Screw the Barzal talk, I'm still waiting to see this incredible defense the Islanders are supposed to have.

Columbus was WAY more structured and competed much harder on loose pucks. What is the Islanders style supposed to be? they lose every puck battle, they don't clean up the crease and they don't keep our offense to the outside, it is the easiest series Tampa has had in terms of scoring.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
This series has boiled down to 2 misplays on game winning goals (1 in game 2, 1 in game 3). Without one or both of those, this could be a 2-2 series or 3-1 Isles.
We've been hearing this since round one. Also the misplay in game 3 led to an isles win, so if that doesn't happen maybe the series is over. Going by 5v5 shot totals and xGF% isles have been outmatched heavily this series

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Are you saying that stating that you think Point is better than Barzal overall is ridiculous, but that doesn't mean you think Barzal is better than Point? Holy hell, being a relationship with you must be absolutely tiresome.
Before and after that statement I stated I didn't think they were far off.

Context matters. Reading comprehension requires taking in all of the statements and comprehending them as a whole.

Yes, my entire argument was against Tampa fans stating that Point was overall better. I was suggesting it was ridiculous because my argument was that they were at the same level. Go back and read the full posts.

That doesn't equate to stating Barzal is better no matter how hard you try and make it mean that. My last post on the argument in that thread even stated I didn't think they were that far off from one another.

Either you can comprehend what that means or you can't.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You turned a dozen into dozens on your own. Much like DFC and others turned me saying Barzal and Point were similar/not far off from one another into "Barzal is better."

Here is exactly what I said:

Thanks for proving my point about the reading abilities.

Ok, for the record, I said you claimed Barzal was better at every offensive thing except goal-scoring, which you did. You gave Point goal-scoring and faceoffs, and gave Barzal everything else, and then said it would be "ridiculous" to say Point is above Barzal. If it's ridiculous to think Point is above Barzal, I guess that very obviously means... they're even. Okay then.

Whatever. Barzal got over-hyped, both in this thread and by NBC, and now he's been brought back to earth. He's a very good young player, but he's probably not a top-10 C, although he might get there someday if he learns to not be so easily driven to the perimeter.

Yeah, TB fans went hard in the paint in this thread, but it's mainly in response to claims we saw early in the thread that got blown out of the water. The other one was NYI's defense, 2-8 (one guy even said 1-6), being better than TB's. That's going to spark arguments, and, as the results of those arguments come in, it's going to spark some trash talk.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Context matters. Reading comprehension requires taking in all of the statements and comprehending them as a whole.

Yes, my entire argument was against Tampa fans stating that Point was overall better. I was suggesting it was ridiculous because my argument was that they were at the same level. Go back and read the full posts.

That doesn't equate to stating Barzal is better no matter how hard you try and make it mean that. My last post on the argument in that thread even stated I didn't think they were that far off from one another.

Stop dancing around it. You're trying to create a strawman by dancing around you think Barzal is better and that your been consistently proven wrong.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Or it could be 4-0 TB.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

i think we were actually arguing the idea that they were remotely close to even, or on the same level (because they're not), and using "better" as hyperbole.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
You play him and you try to end the series. There is no Point thinking ahead when you're not finished here yet.
Well like after the Pelech hit, he was visibly laboring, and didn't play for the last 9 minutes. Would you be worried about further aggravation?

Now it looked like sitting out was precautionary. He was still able to skate back to the bench with only a minor limp. But it's not nothing.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Ok, for the record, I said you claimed Barzal was better at every offensive thing except goal-scoring, which you did. You gave Point goal-scoring and faceoffs, and gave Barzal everything else, and then said it would be "ridiculous" to say Point is above Barzal. If it's ridiculous to think Point is above Barzal, I guess that very obviously means... they're even. Okay then.

I never said "Barzal was better at everything else" and you're clearly trying to re-arrange the statements to make it seem like I was suggesting Barzal was better than Point.

You're wrong.

My last post on the subject originally which is the first one I quoted in this thread is clearly suggesting I thought they were comparable/similar. I never stated or argued what you're claiming and you're creating a straw man to make what I said into something else. Plain and simple.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Stop dancing around it. You're trying to create a strawman by dancing around you think Barzal is better and that your been consistently proven wrong.

I'm creating a straw man? You clearly can't find a single instance where I suggested Barzal is better and clearly said I thought they were at a similar level. It's in the first quote I posted in this thread. Go back and read it a few more times because it's you creating the straw man.

Quote where I said "Barzal is better" or f*** off with that dumb shit. I clearly never suggested it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I never said "Barzal was better at everything else" and you're clearly trying to re-arrange the statements to make it seem like I was suggesting Barzal was better than Point.

You're wrong.

My last post on the subject originally which is the first one I quoted in this thread is clearly suggesting I thought they were comparable/similar. I never stated or argued what you're claiming and you're creating a straw man to make what I said into something else. Plain and simple.

lol, okay, skating, stickhandling, playmaking... just those little ones.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
i think we were actually arguing the idea that they were remotely close to even, or on the same level (because they're not), and using "better" as hyperbole.

You and others clearly are suggesting that I think it and said it. It's more than hyperbole at this point it's putting words in my mouth or trying to tell me what I think.

You're clearly wrong in suggesting that anyone said "Barzal is better" and have been parading that idea around the GDTs the whole series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad