2020 Draft

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Rangers are good on the wings now with Bread, Kakko, and Laf. Zibanijad came into his own offensively as a center this season and I think Chytil is a center but I don't know his offensive potential. The young D like DeAngelo and Fox are more puck moving than defending, right? And, of course, Shestrikin in goal, they're set there. I don't know too much about their other D but at first glance they may be in a Toronto situation in three seasons when Laf comes off his entry deal if Mika, Kakko, and Shesh progress enough to join the big money club with Bread, could have 50 million tied into those five players.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Rangers are good on the wings now with Bread, Kakko, and Laf. Zibanijad came into his own offensively as a center this season and I think Chytil is a center but I don't know his offensive potential. The young D like DeAngelo and Fox are more puck moving than defending, right? And, of course, Shestrikin in goal, they're set there. I don't know too much about their other D but at first glance they may be in a Toronto situation in three seasons when Laf comes off his entry deal if Mika, Kakko, and Shesh progress enough to join the big money club with Bread, could have 50 million tied into those five players.

ClevelandUke

Aug 4, 2020
So Toronto has a cap crunch thats going to be near impossible for other teams to bail them out with, no FRP this year, and if they move one of the young studs to fill the hole on defense they might be creating a new hole to fix an old one.

Dubas is either going to be seen as a god GM after this off-season or looking for a job

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Look how to top 2 picks performed this year.

No player in the draft pool has scored an NHL goal yet

Lafrenière may be the next Ovechkin........or the next bust

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Look how to top 2 picks performed this year.

No player in the draft pool has scored an NHL goal yet

Lafrenière may be the next Ovechkin........or the next bust

Look how the top 2 picks performed last year (2018). Dahlin put up 44 points as a rookie and would have demolished that number this year if it wasn't for injury/COVID (he had 40 points in 59 games). Svechnikov scored 20 goals as a rookie and then followed it up with 60 points in his second year. They're both budding superstars before their ELC expires.

In 2016 there was Matthews and Laine. I don't need to expand upon this.

In 2015 there was McDavid and Eichel. Same as above.

Yeah, some years there might be a 2014 (where the 1st overall pick isn't sexy/great (Ekblad) and the best player in the draft is the 3rd overall pick (Draisaitl), a 2017 (Hischier is good but not a franchise player, and Patrick's career has prematurely stopped due to injury), and a 2019 (both Hughes and Kakko were very medicore) but Lafreniere is put in the group of Laine, Schechnikov, and Dahlin. Maybe not the ultra franchise players that Matthews, McDavid, and Eichel are, but the tier below, which is still a franchise player but not the generational type.

Yeah, he might bust. But I think at the very least he's Jonathan Huberdeau, which is pretty damn good.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
NYR will take him and not look back. Only one team gets lucky in that Lotto - . The Blue Jackets need to keep playing and developing. We already know how good Tampa is, this is going to be very tough.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
From the loaded Central to the loaded Metro, no surprise really. I had no doubt that after pilfering our organization last year that they would indeed be gifted another one just for existing.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I want New Jersey to draft Perfetti, Perreault, and some other guy whose name starts with Per with their 3 first round picks. Just to confuse Rimer.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
1. Man oh man, the Metro has been a blood bath for years and now adds another potential superstar.
2. The NYR rebuild appeared to be on an accelerated pace compared to expectations this year, sweep by Canes in qualifier notwithstanding. They're set in goal and loaded up front. How high are the expectations going to be for them whenever next season gets underway?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
1. Man oh man, the Metro has been a blood bath for years and now adds another potential superstar.
2. The NYR rebuild appeared to be on an accelerated pace compared to expectations this year, sweep by Canes in qualifier notwithstanding. They're set in goal and loaded up front. How high are the expectations going to be for them whenever next season gets underway?

Maybe another soft, offense-heavy regular season powerhouse in the making ;)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A history of Metro teams picking in the top 3 since realignment in summer 2013:
2020: Rangers #1 (Lafreniere)
2019: Devils #1 (Hughes), Rangers #2 (Kakko)
2018: Hurricanes #2 (Svechnikov)
2017: Devils #1 (Hischier), Flyers #2 (Patrick)
2016: Blue Jackets #3 (Dubois)
2015: none
2014: none
2013: none

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I find reckoning from the start of this lottery format is more interesting, as it started in 2016. ;)

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Maybe another soft, offense-heavy regular season powerhouse in the making ;)

Honestly, one of my first thoughts when I saw NYR got #10A was that they might be going the direction of TML and being an offense-heavy team. But, then I thought about how Igor However-you-spell-it is >> than F. Andersen (not to mention Georgiev will be a very solid backup if they can keep him around until Lundqvist steps away). I plead ignorance on how NYRs D-corp next year would compare to TMLs. I guess it will ultimately come down to contract management...i.e. whether the NYR can have Panarin, KK, Laf, Mika, etc. and still have some leftovers for D-men unlike TML.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I am pretty happy with PLD. Way too early to rank these guys, but not unhappy so far.

Pens getting Laf would have hurt. Let them suck for a few years when their core ages.

Imagine the Flyers if Patrick was healthy and progressing like a #2 over all is expected to progress.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I am pretty happy with PLD. Way too early to rank these guys, but not unhappy so far.

Pens getting Laf would have hurt. Let them suck for a few years when their core ages.

Imagine the Flyers if Patrick was healthy and progressing like a #2 over all is expected to progress.

The Pens and Caps cores are going to start to age out just as the other Metro teams have talented cores coming into their primes. Fun!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If the Jackets lose this series, as expected, they'll draft no worse than 21st OA. For each of AZ, MTL, CHI, CGY, or VAN that pull off an upset the Jackets slide up a spot.

That's still a great spot to be drafting in this draft. We might get a potential star like Seth Jarvis or Dawson Mercer to fall a bit to us, and failing that there should at the least be intriguing guys available like Lukas Reichel or boom/bust picks like Jacob Perreault.

Reactions: rotsbu

pled

Sep 7, 2009
If the Jackets lose this series, as expected, they'll draft no worse than 21st OA. For each of AZ, MTL, CHI, CGY, or VAN that pull off an upset the Jackets slide up a spot.

That's still a great spot to be drafting in this draft. We might get a potential star like Seth Jarvis or Dawson Mercer to fall a bit to us, and failing that there should at the least be intriguing guys available like Lukas Reichel or boom/bust picks like Jacob Perreault.
I'd still pick Bourque at 21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad