2020 Draft

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
If the Jackets lose this series, as expected, they'll draft no worse than 21st OA. For each of AZ, MTL, CHI, CGY, or VAN that pull off an upset the Jackets slide up a spot.

That's still a great spot to be drafting in this draft. We might get a potential star like Seth Jarvis or Dawson Mercer to fall a bit to us, and failing that there should at the least be intriguing guys available like Lukas Reichel or boom/bust picks like Jacob Perreault.

For the Jackets to move up beyond 21st overall- Do those western conference teams and MTL have to advance to the Conference finals and us losing in the 1st two rounds for us to move up like that as in most seasons?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For the Jackets to move up beyond 21st overall- Do those western conference teams and MTL have to advance to the Conference finals and us losing in the 1st two rounds for us to move up like that as in most seasons?

Crapola. I forgot about that part, I haven't heard about any changes to the way draft order is calculated beyond the qualification part.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Jacob Perrault could be a nice pick in the low 20s. He has one of the best shots in the draft.

Dude is like BARZAL but with Milano level defense lol. Plenty of time to figure it out though.

Last edited:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
This draft is certainly at least 15-20 deep with real quality guys. Someone will slip a little. Holloway, Gunler, Foerster, Peterka, Reichel, Mercer, Zary...But knowing Jarmo he’s going with some bananas pick that pans out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jacob Perrault could be a nice pick in the low 20s. He has one of the best shots in the draft.

Dude is like Brazil but with Milano level defense lol. Plenty of time to figure it out though.

I think it is the very best shot.

Perreault's defensive game is more of his low commitment and low motor. He's a smart player. The hope with him is that he can fix his motor with better conditioning and that it's not a heart/passion issue.

Also, Brazil? Barzal? Read before submitting.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This draft is certainly at least 15-20 deep with real quality guys. Someone will slip a little. Holloway, Gunler, Foerster, Peterka, Reichel, Mercer, Zary...But knowing Jarmo he’s going with some bananas pick that pans out.

Mercer

Reichel Gunler

Holloway Zary Foerster Peterka

The only one I'd call a "slip" if he makes it to #21 is Mercer. The rest are all more of what you'd expect for the mid-to-late 1st.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
Mercer

Reichel Gunler

The only one I'd call a "slip" if he makes it to #21 is Mercer. The rest are all more of what you'd expect for the mid-to-late 1st.
We should all be cheering for Vancouver tonight!

Any way I like the names you've listed; especially Holloway. I also like Jan Mysak. A couple of Defenders might be there at 20/21 too Kaiden Guhle and/or Braden Schneider. This could be the deepest draft since 2003; wish we still had our send round pick.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think it is the very best shot.

Perreault's defensive game is more of his low commitment and low motor. He's a smart player. The hope with him is that he can fix his motor with better conditioning and that it's not a heart/passion issue.

Also, Brazil? Barzal? Read before submitting.
All of the defensive stuff can be taught. He does have a tendency to stop skating at the redline while on the back check though, he will need to get rid of that.

Sorry professor, autocorrect can do that. I did not know I was being graded. You’ve been grumpy lately. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Mercer

Reichel Gunler

Sorry, that was a little bit of a misleading post. I did name a bunch of people that are probable to be available within that mid to late first range. It also happens every year that a couple of the people from the 5-10 range slip to the 20s. So if it’s Lundell, Holtz, or Quinn, I won’t be surprised.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Mercer

Reichel Gunler

I see him rated a lot higher on some lists.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Looking ahead to the 2021 draft, I am hoping for Logan Stankoven. Not just because he is a right shot center, but his name is Stankoven.

Logan Stankoven Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I am wondering if his hockey nickname is Stanky, Stanks, or Oven.

I want Torts to say something like “Stanky just has to play more in the dirty areas” in a press conference.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Going through some mocks wondering who we might “reach” for, who then could be seen as a good pick later on. I think most of us assume we’ll take a center rated around #20 (depending on who is there) but given the recent draft history of the CBJ, wondering if there is a guy in the 25-40 range we might really like, especially a non center which would surprise everyone. Or maybe we trade back a little to get another pick like last year, and get a guy Jarmo likes. Especially since I think we can let a kid develop for a couple of years, given the youth of the club already. And given the fiscal issues facing the NHL, we might not want to spend money with a more immediate signing.

Ridly Greig - left wing who can pass and score who is a pest with a high motor. He is pretty light - listed at 5’11 and 159 - but his dad and uncle played in the NHL so you have to assume he’ll fill out.

Yan Kuznetsov - underage college player (UConn) like Werenski and Hanafin were. Defensive defenseman with good size originally from Russia. Doubt that we’d go defense, but you always need a good young Dman in the pipeline.

Vasily Ponomaryov - another Russian who came over to North America, and another high motor left wing. One site says he passes the eye test, but box scores aren’t as good as you would expect.

Reactions: Monk

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Going through some mocks wondering who we might “reach” for, who then could be seen as a good pick later on. I think most of us assume we’ll take a center rated around #20 (depending on who is there) but given the recent draft history of the CBJ, wondering if there is a guy in the 25-40 range we might really like, especially a non center which would surprise everyone. Or maybe we trade back a little to get another pick like last year, and get a guy Jarmo likes. Especially since I think we can let a kid develop for a couple of years, given the youth of the club already. And given the fiscal issues facing the NHL, we might not want to spend money with a more immediate signing.

Ridly Greig - left wing who can pass and score who is a pest with a high motor. He is pretty light - listed at 5’11 and 159 - but his dad and uncle played in the NHL so you have to assume he’ll fill out.

Yan Kuznetsov - underage college player (UConn) like Werenski and Hanafin were. Defensive defenseman with good size originally from Russia. Doubt that we’d go defense, but you always need a good young Dman in the pipeline.

Vasily Ponomaryov - another Russian who came over to North America, and another high motor left wing. One site says he passes the eye test, but box scores aren’t as good as you would expect.
I know bubkis about any of these guys but this dude’s name is fantastic. So I’m rooting for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad