2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Sounds like some have Jack Quinn going before Raymond and Holtz
I wouldn’t doubt it, I have Quinn ahead of Rossi. But Holtz was scoring at 1.23ppg as a 16 yr old in J20 as a 3rd liner. If they had fed him top 6 minutes he would’ve been around 2 ppg. Quinn might project better as he didn’t hit the weights until last summer where Holtz has been training with NHLers since he was 13 v

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Could be wrong, but I think he was saying that the quoted mock had like a 0% chance of happening b/c we didn't take a Russian or a Swede, not that he didn't want Russians/Swedes personally.

Exactly. Thank You,
With the money and manpower spent on European scouting, I highly doubt they go the entire draft without a European.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I’ll admit only to have seen snippets of Ryan O’Rourke play and read a great deal on his background but if the Rangers magically come up with a second round pick (Welcome to Detroit/Ottawa/San Jose Mr. Georgiev) He’s a guy I’d want to know a lot more about.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Point only played 4 games there, I guess it was enough for him to determine "Oh Hell No!"

Well the reason for why Point would only play 4 games in the AJHL is pretty simple. Leagues like the AJHL (or BCHL) are really college feeder leagues like the USHL is in the United States. Players who play in those leagues are angling for a college hockey scholarship in the United States. Point very apparently made the choice to forego college in that period of time and went on to play in the WHL --a better overall league for his age group but once there effectively making him ineligible to play college hockey in the United States.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There were people who thought Jamie Lundmark had a chance to be the best player from his draft year. He was an extremely skilled hyper-competitive player in his draft year. Unfortunately things started going downhill for him in his D+1 and he pretty much lost much of his competitive fire. I'm pretty sure his parents were going through an ugly divorce and he wanted badly to get out of Medicine Hat and pulled a bunch of strings to accomplish that and it's like that being so highly profiled it all went to his head and he stopped doing a lot of the things that made him the player he was. By the time we finally moved him in a deal he was pouting about going to the minors.

We seem to be going through some of the same issues with Lias as with Lundmark. Hopefully Lias gets back on the right track.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Lundmark... “The next Roenick or Yzerman!” ... great memories!
I saw him in a pre-season game against the Devils. He was almost Rico Fata fast without the puck. Unfortunately, he couldn't do much with it against NHL players.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Looking at JD's drafts in Columbus he was very heavy on Swedes. U.S. and Canadian players. He basically took no Russians. More I think about it, more I think JD might use Georgiev to move up in the draft with their highest first rounder to take one of the Swedes. It makes sense if they are going to let Hank play out his last year. Get a more sure thing with a higher first rounder. I'm assuming they are pretty high on Wall as they should be. There are teams in the top 8 that need goalies. Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit. If was the Ducks, I'd trade down with the Rangers, pick up Georgiev and a d prospect like Jones and trade Gibson for a crap load. By the time they are any good, Gibson will be 30. They could get a boat load for him.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
People I talk to tell me the AJHL has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. It is a much better, tougher to play in league than it used to be. Someone like @Steve Kournianos would have much more insight on this

Look at the dates of the others in the top 10. With the exception of Carter Savoie (a 2020 draft eligible) 7 of the players date to <2001 and an 8th happened in 2008. It's a hell of a good season in today's AJHL

The AJHL is the 2nd best Junior A league in Canada, behind only the BCHL. They get some of the NCAA recruits. They have a team (mostly Brooks) that compete for the national championship every season.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This will probably be the last I comment on Holloway because at this point I'm ready to move on. But I watched some more, and he's four different player types stapled to each other:
- Speedy Fast-ish backchecker when its his man
- Clutterbuck/Martin style hitting for the sake of it w/o the puck when its not his man/wall grinding
- Skjei-esque beautiful neutral zone rusher who loses steam in the o-zone
- Aging mid-30s skill forward who actively seeks out soft spots/side of net plays when not on the wall

I dunno what this all translates to as a whole but I don't think its a mid-1st rounder. JMO as a random dummy on a messageboard.

He played in the AJHL (which is Junior A right under the CHL in terms of closest pro experience) before coming into the NCAA. He was a true freshman, mind you. Players that come out of Junior A and Junior B leagues usually take about a year or two extra before making an NCAA commitment (from D1 to D3). So the fact that he jumped right in from Junior A is very intriguing to say the least. He essentially jumped up two leagues to get to where he is in a short amount of time. The last one to do that was, I think, Cale Makar. But with that said, there were hiccups and growing pains. At the beginning of the year, he looked inferior to what the NCAA offered, but towards the end/pause he was coming into his own. His all around game looks to be a bottom-6 option, however, if he develops his offensive game he could be a real threat with his size and speed combo. Just needs to figure that out. Wisconsin was, also, incredibly mediocre as a whole and confidence throughout the locker room was toxic as some have previously mentioned.

I think he is more of a sure thing to play in the NHL than most players in the draft. It's just a matter of how he'll develop the offensive game and where he fits in an NHL lineup.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I don't mean this in a mean way if your own notes are what you're referencing and I'd put a lot more credence in it if they are. But after the last couple years of arguing with the Chytil moms and Lias skating truthers and Kakko stuff last year denying reality and citing flowery sounding words directly contradicting what I just f'n watched I put very little stock in writeups. Particulary with emphasis on things with small sample or confirmation bias issues like being a great seam passer.

I'm sure you're more versed on him but I wasn't watching just scoring plays or the like. Fair amount of mundane stuff. Maybe on my end its sample size issues but there were definitely red flags in a short period of time in terms of the routes he took and where he decided to position himself on the offensive zone that I rarely notice with other players. It was noticeable. I'd be happy to change my mind. As of right now though, I'm just not a fan.

Note: I am not a scout, amateur or otherwise, just someone who watches a lot of hockey and due to training is good about not puck watching.

That’s fair and I’m not necessarily trying to sell you on a kid I dropped a few times the last few rankings. The tough question with Holloway is the same with Raymond — do you keep the upside because of a tough situation or do you lower it because their draft-year competition might have humbled them.

Personally, I think Holloway and Raymond both deserve mulligans for bland stats and inconsistencies.

Reactions: Joey Bones and Ola

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That’s fair and I’m not necessarily trying to sell you on a kid I dropped a few times the last few rankings. The tough question with Holloway is the same with Raymond — do you keep the upside because of a tough situation or do you lower it because their draft-year competition might have humbled them.

Personally, I think Holloway and Raymond both deserve mulligans for bland stats and inconsistencies.
Here is my thing with Holloway. I don’t know what he does. If he one of these jack of all trade, master of none players? Rangers can do without another middle six tweener. What’s his role? What’s his best case scenario?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
And the second set?
Season long numbers were a -12, so the 1st 25 games would be well worse than that.

If you plugged in his AJHL D-1 numbers he’s a -4.55, if you projected him to be a 2ppg if he had stayed there instead of going to Wisconsin he’d be a -2.11

Any way you slice it, lots of warning lights that at best you’re getting a bottom 6 player.

What value that kind of player delivers is up to whomever’s making the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad