2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I got it, you’re just mistaken.

He’s not even putting up enough points down a level to be more than a 2nd liner in the WHL next year at best. But because he’s on the NCAA path(rightly) he’ll be a middle 6 player who gets his degree and can play in Europe if he wants to.

Added: Like I wrote above, you need to be crushing leagues like that with obscene numbers to be anything more than just a guy in the NHL.

Neither player has done anything close to that.

We agree on Savoie, but I still think the jury is still out on Holloway. There were a lot of factors to the season he had and, yet, he still finished strong. I think most, and especially myself, have made our claims on that matter.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think the one point that Joey Bones has been trying to make that keeps being ignored on Holloway is that Holloway turning 18 in his draft year plays highly competitive hockey for a name Division 1 NCAA team. There are very few players who do that--Chris Kreider didn't do that, Ryan McDonagh didn't do that. They were drafted first--then went on to play college. Fact is quite often players who are drafted spend another season (sometimes two) playing in leagues like the USHL and starting their freshman years at 20 years old.

There are no other significant forward prospects in this year's draft that were able to do what Holloway did playing as an 18 year old for a top college team. One defenseman of some note Yan Kuznetsov who will probably be drafted played for a lesser Div 1 UConn. Holloway and Kuznetzov are bascially it though.

Yes, precisely. Jumping essentially two leagues at a ripe age is incredible in any sense. Sure offensive ability needs to be consistent yet, but he shows great signs of a big bodied, speed game in a power forward mold. He's also aggressive enough to antagonize the opposition. Just needs to work on it and less about two-way play (but if he can learn both styles than that's a massive bonus).

I honestly don't see a downside to his selection with NYR's 1st pick. At worst, he could be a bottom-6/4th line contributer. Otherwise he has exceptional potential to be a top-6, agitating power forward that cup teams need to be out on the ice.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
FWIW, here's a list of college players in their draft year going back to 2014:

2018-19: 1 (Ben Brinkman)
2017-18: 2 (B. Tkachuk, Q. Hughes)
2016-17: 3 (Khodorenko, Poehling, Luke Martin)
2015-16: 3 (Kunin, Thompson, McAvoy)
2014-15: 5 (Eichel, Werenksi, Hanifin, C. Hughes, Greer)

Most of these players are different in their own right, but this further helps my point. Again, I don't see the downside to Holloway.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's because hes a late 01. Its not like he graduated early and played a year before he was expected to. He entered his freshman year 5 months younger than Kreider and 2.5 months younger than McDonagh did. It's really not an excuse for him.

But what can be excused is the fact he jumped from the AJHL to the NCAA in a short period of time. Most players do not make it there until the D+1 or D+2 seasons. By the time they're 20 or 21, they'll be signed to a scholarship. There are going to be growing pains, he's just lucky enough to hone them out earlier in his career.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Holloway I think also has questionable intelligence from seeing this interview listen to the part about his least favorite and most favorite class in college: Dylan Holloway - Forward - TSN.ca

Honestly I think it might have been a mistake for him to go NCAA instead of CHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes, precisely. Jumping essentially two leagues at a ripe age is incredible in any sense. Sure offensive ability needs to be consistent yet, but he shows great signs of a big bodied, speed game in a power forward mold. He's also aggressive enough to antagonize the opposition. Just needs to work on it and less about two-way play (but if he can learn both styles than that's a massive bonus).

I honestly don't see a downside to his selection with NYR's 1st pick. At worst, he could be a bottom-6/4th line contributer. Otherwise he has exceptional potential to be a top-6, agitating power forward that cup teams need to be out on the ice.

It took Adam Graves 5 years to get put into a top 6 role. If he had stayed in Edmonton it probably would have taken him longer than that. He had to come to New York. Young players have the find roles to fit into--that's what Graves was doing in Detroit and Edmonton--New York was really where his opportunity came.

There's a guy on Calgary who I've always loved and that's Sam Bennett who though has pretty much underachieved expectation but he's a guy I've always wondered what would he be like somewhere else in a different situation.

Holloway seems in some respects more like a safe pick in that he will make it---it's just how far will he go. A guy like Amirov if he's around is more like a home run kind of pick. Really Lundell would seem to me to be the best case possibility for our first pick. I like the idea of going European with both 1st rounders--I have real doubts that there is going to be much hockey played in 20-21 in North America--particularly the United States. I'm thinking the European leagues are going to be the saviors of hockey for 20-21 and if we go European with our 1st's their chances of having somewhere to play are going to be a lot better.

Reactions: Joey Bones

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
But what can be excused is the fact he jumped from the AJHL to the NCAA in a short period of time. Most players do not make it there until the D+1 or D+2 seasons. By the time they're 20 or 21, they'll be signed to a scholarship. There are going to be growing pains, he's just lucky enough to hone them out earlier in his career.

In comparison to other guys coming out of the AJHL? Sure, thats fair.

But we really shouldn't be comparing him to a bunch of guys who will never sniff the show. We should be looking at his body of work against what his peers/cohorts have done.

Is jumping into the NCAA's out of the AJHL a bigger jump than doing it out of a US high school? Because there are a ton of guys who have done the latter and looked/performed MUCH better as freshmen, and not just guys who went in the 1st round.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Here is my thing with Holloway. I don’t know what he does. If he one of these jack of all trade, master of none players? Rangers can do without another middle six tweener. What’s his role? What’s his best case scenario?

I think a Tyler Bertuzzi type is a more realistic projection than an all-star scoring winger. Little bit of J.T. Miller or PL Dubois.

I just think people are fixated on his NCAA production and will find a flaw here or there from one game or one shift to knock him down, which is fair. But within the context of building a team to compete with Boston and Washington, I think Holloway has legit potential to be a tough top-six winger to be used in all situations.

He outplayed Turcotte the entire second half of the season. That to me was a big factor to keep him in the top 20.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
lots of chat on holloway...i'm assuming that the people that don't like him are referring to picking him at 11-13. but what about if he is still around at our 2nd pick?

lets assume we pick 11-13 and 20-22...what players should we realistically be hoping for in those groups? lets assume that no one has a major fall and drops to us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think a Tyler Bertuzzi type is a more realistic projection than an all-star scoring winger. Little bit of J.T. Miller or PL Dubois.

I just think people are fixated on his NCAA production and will find a flaw here or there from one game or one shift to knock him down, which is fair. But within the context of building a team to compete with Boston and Washington, I think Holloway has legit potential to be a tough top-six winger to be used in all situations.

He outplayed Turcotte the entire second half of the season. That to me was a big factor to keep him in the top 20.
Not really worried about his production. I just don’t know what his “tool” is that keeps him in the league. He may have outplayed Turcotte, but he doesn’t have that shot.

I think the Rangers, to a fault, fall in love with these jack of all trades guys. I mean, they certainly can do worse than Holloway, but we also don’t even know where they are picking yet, so there is still a lot to play out.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
lots of chat on holloway...i'm assuming that the people that don't like him are referring to picking him at 11-13. but what about if he is still around at our 2nd pick?

lets assume we pick 11-13 and 20-22...what players should we realistically be hoping for in those groups? lets assume that no one has a major fall and drops to us.
Holloway will be picked in that 10-15 range, but he probably should go in that 20-25 range.

Don’t see his “offense” translating at NHL level

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

It would be easier to digest with the 2nd pick. I hate the idea of him being taken over guys who actually have the ability to be impact top line players but in the 20's, its more acceptable to take a "glue" type guy who may only top out as a 3rd line forward.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
In comparison to other guys coming out of the AJHL? Sure, thats fair.

But we really shouldn't be comparing him to a bunch of guys who will never sniff the show. We should be looking at his body of work against what his peers/cohorts have done.

Is jumping into the NCAA's out of the AJHL a bigger jump than doing it out of a US high school? Because there are a ton of guys who have done the latter and looked/performed MUCH better as freshmen, and not just guys who went in the 1st round.

Agreed, think the AJHL is very similar to the BCHL and some prep schools. As for offensive production, yes, I think he needs have a better consistency.

But he has a lot of good tools to work with for a power forward game. Big bodied speed coming down the wing is going to be a nightmare for defenders and goalies with mediocre lateral movement/shitty poke check. Just needs to put it together. He might benefit leaving Wisconsin, but not sure if it should be for the CHL. I won't compare him to other AJHLers, but I will compare him to players who made a similar jump that @Amazing Kreiderman previously noted a few pages back. Those players have either been studs in the NHL or have signed ELC's and are working their way towards the NHL. It's good company to be in.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Realistically at the No. 14 range, think Jarvis, Amirov, Mercer and Holloway are beauts there. If Lundell or any of the other fall to their spot then that would be great, too. Tough to say in the early 20's I would say any other falling talent of someone like Zary or one of the Germans (Reichel and Peterka). If Gunler drops there, it would be tough to not select him. I wouldn't mind reaching on Mysak or Khusnutdinov there, either.

Reactions: bl02 and Leetch3

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Realistically at the No. 14 range, think Jarvis, Amirov, Mercer and Holloway are beauts there. If Lundell or any of the other fall to their spot then that would be great, too. Tough to say in the early 20's I would say any other falling talent of someone like Zary or one of the Germans (Reichel and Peterka). If Gunler drops there, it would be tough to not select him. I wouldn't mind reaching on Mysak or Khusnutdinov there, either.
Win the draft lottery :thumbu: or get some help from teams like the Wild and Arizona winning so we can pick closer to 10th.
If not then Jarvis/Mercer with first pick and Reichel/Gunler sounds good to me. Like you said wouldn't be shocked if Zary was there in the early mid 20's as well.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Win the draft lottery :thumbu: or get some help from teams like the Wild and Arizona winning so we can pick closer to 10th.
If not then Jarvis/Mercer with first pick and Reichel/Gunler sounds good to me. Like you said wouldn't be shocked if Zary was there in the early mid 20's as well.

I absolutely would not want Zary to be their 1st pick, though. His skating is pretty bad. If he could work on that within his developmental years, then I think he could be a scary Horvat type of player.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I absolutely would not want Zary to be their 1st pick, though. His skating is pretty bad. If he could work on that within his developmental years, then I think he could be a scary Horvat type of player.

I think Horvat is more of floor or middle for Zary, I think he can be better. Horvat put up very underwhelming numbers in OHL. So I think he has a potential to be better offensively and maybe more physical. Also Horvat was taken 9th overall.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I think Horvat is more of floor or middle for Zary, I think he can be better. Horvat put up very underwhelming numbers in OHL. So I think he has a potential to be better offensively and maybe more physical. Also Horvat was taken 9th overall.

Not with his current skating technique. He needs to gain an extra gear before sniffing the pros. If that can happen, then yes I think he could be a solid NHLer. Don't think he's that physical, either, compared to Horvat.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
On Holloway-> He's going to play in the NHL. I think he's a good third line winger who plays a good smart checking game. I also think he's a guy that teams will covet based on interviews. He is pro ready in terms of his size, and the kid... from what I've heard... oozes good western Canadian boy charm. Teams and GMs won't feel like they are going to regret.

I also think that he played for a very disjointed Wisconsin team. K'Andre Miller was on the same team. They finished dead last after going into the season as final four contenders. This was a team that severely underperformed. With a better cast of coaches and players, you can see a Holloway being a different player than what you got in Wisconsin.

From what I've gathered, there's three guys who will go in the top 20 this year who have higher value because of their size/speed/intangibles. The same three guys are also considered very safe picks. They all have size, play a very pro style game and can skate. That's Holloway, Sanderson and Schneider.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
On Holloway-> He's going to play in the NHL. I think he's a good third line winger who plays a good smart checking game. I also think he's a guy that teams will covet based on interviews. He is pro ready in terms of his size, and the kid... from what I've heard... oozes good western Canadian boy charm. Teams and GMs won't feel like they are going to regret.

I also think that he played for a very disjointed Wisconsin team. K'Andre Miller was on the same team. They finished dead last after going into the season as final four contenders. This was a team that severely underperformed. With a better cast of coaches and players, you can see a Holloway being a different player than what you got in Wisconsin.

From what I've gathered, there's three guys who will go in the top 20 this year who have higher value because of their size/speed/intangibles. The same three guys are also considered very safe picks. They all have size, play a very pro style game and can skate. That's Holloway, Sanderson and Schneider.

Holloway is definitely a nice prospect, but many think he is ranked a bit too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad