2020 Draft thread

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
TheHockeyWriters have done their mock draft over the last few weeks.
Thoughts on the first 3-4 rounds of projections?

They got us taking a couple "reach" picks as per the article. Surprised to see no C's in the first 4 rounds.

1st- 14th - Noel Gunler, RW
2nd - 45th - Topi Niemala, RD
3rd - 76th - Brett Berard, LW
3rd via COL - 91st - Brock Faber, RD

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft/
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft-round-2/
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft-rounds-3-7/

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
TheHockeyWriters have done their mock draft over the last few weeks.
Thoughts on the first 3-4 rounds of projections?

They got us taking a couple "reach" picks as per the article. Surprised to see no C's in the first 4 rounds.

1st- 14th - Noel Gunler, RW
2nd - 45th - Topi Niemala, RD
3rd - 76th - Brett Berard, LW
3rd via COL - 91st - Brock Faber, RD

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft/
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft-round-2/
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-the-hockey-writers-mock-draft-rounds-3-7/

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this, but I don't see us taking Gunler, especially if we are picking #14. He's a little bit of a reach there, yeah, but his shot is near elite. He's basically a lite version of Alex Holtz, who is projected to go top 10, and is regarded to have an elite shot and 40 goal potential. I don't think Gunler would necessarily be a bad pick at 14, just surprising.

Niemela is just a jack of all trades defenseman, he can do a little bit of everything. Tall, rangy, smooth skater, has some offensive upside. He doesn't really excite me, but wouldn't be a 'bad' pick.

I'm a big fan of Berard. He's a little Marchand-ish. Small guy, Napoleon complex, won't back down from anyone, has good offensive skills, top 6 upside. I'm hoping we can get him with that pick, but I think he goes before that.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with this, but I don't see us taking Gunler, especially if we are picking #14. He's a little bit of a reach there, yeah, but his shot is near elite. He's basically a lite version of Alex Holtz, who is projected to go top 10, and is regarded to have an elite shot and 40 goal potential. I don't think Gunler would necessarily be a bad pick at 14, just surprising.

Niemela is just a jack of all trades defenseman, he can do a little bit of everything. Tall, rangy, smooth skater, has some offensive upside. He doesn't really excite me, but wouldn't be a 'bad' pick.

I'm a big fan of Berard. He's a little Marchand-ish. Small guy, Napoleon complex, won't back down from anyone, has good offensive skills, top 6 upside. I'm hoping we can get him with that pick, but I think he goes before that.

Would you say he is similar to OT? OT has a big shot with 40-goal upside.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Guess I'm just curious why we take another RW at 15th, Tippett and Denisenko both prefer the right side?
Now I like Seth Jarvis but as a C with a right hand shot, even though he broke out as a RW this year.
Feel we should focus on C or LW if we go forward at 15th,16th etc but still think defense is the biggest need.
What about you?

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Guess I'm just curious why we take another RW at 15th, Tippett and Denisenko both prefer the right side?
Now I like Seth Jarvis but as a C with a right hand shot, even though he broke out as a RW this year.
Feel we should focus on C or LW if we go forward at 15th,16th etc but still think defense is the biggest need.
What about you?
I thought Denisenko prefers the LW? I’m not 100% sure on that though. Anyone have a definitive answer on that one?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I thought Denisenko prefers the LW? I’m not 100% sure on that though. Anyone have a definitive answer on that one?

I'm not sure either, just saw it in this article below:
Panthers sign 2018 top pick Grigori Denisenko to entry-level contract

Screenshot_20200531-234715_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What about you?

Like I said, i don't see us taking Gunler. I think we take a d-man, unless some crazy good forward value pick is left for us. Tallon isn't stupid and it's clear that D is the #1 problem in the organization right now. The main reason we are not one of the top 8 seeds in the east is the D. 6th in GF, tied for 28th in GA. Speaks for itself. C is an organizational weakness too, but not as bad. I think we address C in the 2nd round, and again in the 3rd or 4th. This is a deep draft so we can get some good C prospects.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He's made consistent progress too. U18 league as a 15/16yo, U20 league as a 16/17yo and jump to mens league for his draft year. 43 games played out of a potential 59 on a powerhouse team like Kärpät is pretty good, with almost 13 minutes TOI.

I feel he's a typical pick that goes earlier than expected, because some teams just really want to have him. 15-22 range would be my guess.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's made consistent progress too. U18 league as a 15/16yo, U20 league as a 16/17yo and jump to mens league for his draft year. 43 games played out of a potential 59 on a powerhouse team like Kärpät is pretty good, with almost 13 minutes TOI.

I feel he's a typical pick that goes earlier than expected, because some teams just really want to have him. 15-22 range would be my guess.

It would shock me if he went that high, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 25-40 range.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
New hype reel for Cole Perfetti :) hope you guys enjoy

I witnessed a miracle last night as the number 2 overall Prospect in last night's MLB draft Austin Martin fell three spots to the Toronto Blue Jays and they picked him at number five.

Let's hope some of my magic works for Perfetti. Would love to see him become a Panther!

Reactions: harv33173

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Wait so how do they do this since we don’t know what teams make official playoffs?

My understanding is it's possible for an unknown team to win the lottery/move up at this point, but we won't know who it is until a later date (i.e. until standings are finalized).

There was news about this a week or two back, I think.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad