2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Only able to catch the 2nd today... Savoie was super dangerous when he was on the ice... but this Denver team is hard to watch sometimes, he has Benning to play off of, but asside from him, there is nobody that can create for, and play off of Savoie. It's maddening to watch. Also Denver spent 8 minutes that period in the box. Savoie doesn't kill penalties, so he gets stapled to the bench. This has been a trend in every DU game I've watched this season.

Except for Benning and Webster, Savoie really has no one to play with

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Can anyone PM me a link?

EDIT: Saw the games over already. Denver sure is struggling record-wise for being such a high-ranked team

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And in a league where it isn't necessarily easy to score a ton of goals.

He is probably the best goal scorer we have in the system right now AINEC

I agree.

In terms of shots and pure goal scoring potential amongst our forward prospects I have it:

1. Savoie
2. Lavoie

3. Maksimov

Maksimov was noted for having a heavy shot in junior, he’ll be interesting to see how he develops. Bit of a rocky season down in Bakersfield like it was for many of our forwards down there. We have time to be patient with him, he had a good start in the VHL before being called up to the KHL.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Loved the Lavoie pick. Both were picked excellently. I think both have a legit shot at being top 9 forwards

The quickness of Savoie’s release is special. He just leans in and the puck snaps off his stick so quickly, I can see why it’s difficult for goalies to track his shot.

Lavoie has a lot of power to his shot and he’s just a bull the way he attacks the net. It’s strange seeing our prospects developing properly, kudos to Holland.

You can just tell he’s excellent with people and in his relationships with people in the hockey world. He’s not a guy that will just ignore a prospect and not make their development a priority unlike past GMs in recent history. We’re trending in the right direction, a little light on goalie prospects though, I like that Holland refilled the forward prospect cupboard with some quality picks this draft.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Do you know why he fell to us in the draft ?

I have a hard time understanding why so many teams passed on him.

At the time of the draft... size, skating, and attitude issues. In addition to producing in a league some teams/scouts are very weary of.

I think the covid situation dropped him quite a bit as well. In a normal year the combine plus possibly getting at look at the u18s would ease a lot of questions that the scouts had. I’m so glad it didn’t scare off Holland and co.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm starting to get seriously hyped for this kid. He's an elite goal scorer. With a release like that he's going to find a role in the NHL. I think he has more upside than Holloway, but obviously more work to do to reach it. It's pretty cool that we managed to pick up two pretty high-end forward prospects in a draft where we drafted #16 and #100 lol.

It's interesting too that Savoie is so far blowing Holloway's rookie season in the NCAA out of the water, despite both of them coming straight from the AJHL and Holloway being the guy that is gifted with size and speed. NCAA is not easy and it's a big transition from the AJHL, yet Savoie has made it look seamless. Very impressive.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
This kid can give and go and finish and will likely improve as it goes. But what i found exciting in this game was he came back and back checked successfully a couple of times. The coaches have identified this and he is listening. Imagine with that finish and being able to work in a unit defensively. If he shows that consistently by the end of the year maybe Holland and Tippet and co. will drag him from college to the A. Commitment to the defensive end will get this kid signed ...making money...and speed up the timeline. Its hard not to look down the tracks to far given his start but we have seen ...f--- it Im on board too!

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm starting to get seriously hyped for this kid. He's an elite goal scorer. With a release like that he's going to find a role in the NHL. I think he has more upside than Holloway, but obviously more work to do to reach it. It's pretty cool that we managed to pick up two pretty high-end forward prospects in a draft where we drafted #16 and #100 lol.

It's interesting too that Savoie is so far blowing Holloway's rookie season in the NCAA out of the water, despite both of them coming straight from the AJHL and Holloway being the guy that is gifted with size and speed. NCAA is not easy and it's a big transition from the AJHL, yet Savoie has made it look seamless. Very impressive.

Agreed-- when you have only 2 picks in the top 100 this is pretty impressive although as stated still a long way to go to the NHL.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Lavoie is good at scoring goals but I feel like it won't translate as well to high level hockey. Savoie I think could be held back a lot, but if he makes the NHL, he will score goals.

I have the same concern about Lavoie. His shot is fine, maybe even a plus when you consider how he seems to be able to get the shot off in a variety of circumstances, but there is no "elite level" portion to his shot. He is a "volume shooter" and doesn't seem that precise/accurate, nor does he have a ridiculous release or anything. I will say though, that he has a somewhat "odd" release, that likely makes it difficult for goalies to track the puck off his stick properly. I certainly think there is a player in Lavoie, maybe even an NHL player, he has the size, skills, and desire to be a middle-6 guy one day maybe.

Savoie really seems like the proto-typical boom/bust player to me. A guy with 1 skill that is at an elite level, but with some other holes/issues in his game. Lavoie is a more complete player, but seems to be lacking that 1 high end skill that differentiates him.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I have the same concern about Lavoie. His shot is fine, maybe even a plus when you consider how he seems to be able to get the shot off in a variety of circumstances, but there is no "elite level" portion to his shot. He is a "volume shooter" and doesn't seem that precise/accurate, nor does he have a ridiculous release or anything. I will say though, that he has a somewhat "odd" release, that likely makes it difficult for goalies to track the puck off his stick properly. I certainly think there is a player in Lavoie, maybe even an NHL player, he has the size, skills, and desire to be a middle-6 guy one day maybe.

Savoie really seems like the proto-typical boom/bust player to me. A guy with 1 skill that is at an elite level, but with some other holes/issues in his game. Lavoie is a more complete player, but seems to be lacking that 1 high end skill that differentiates him.

I think Lavoie has the potential to be an outstandimg puck possesion forward. Ive watched in jr. and Sweden how teammates have used him to facilitate clean breakouts and possesion. Hes very strong on the boards and is comfortable in open ice making plays. He uses his skillset to hold onto pucks and make consistent smart simple plays and skill plays utilizing his terrific wingspan. I think the composure and skill in his game allows him to generate shots and possesion at an elite level in the leagues he's played in. Will that translate to the NHL in a scoring role? I dont know but I feel confident its likely to translate into a quality top 9 forward. I just dont see what will keep him from being solid at the NHL level and I can see the potential for more. He gets a lot of shots from the slot and in close and that tends to translate. I also think his shot and hands are both excellent even of they may not be elite.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Holloway stepped right in last season while Savoie was still in the AJHL. Kind of an unfair comparison in that sense. That said, the fact that Savoie appears to at least be Holloway's equal offensively in spite of having no previous NCAA experience speaks volumes to how special his skillset is. Its almost like a Toews vs, Kane type of a scenario, both are great but have different skill sets. Not saying that either guy gets there obviously, just using them as a well known example of 2 high end players getting things done in different ways.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Lavoie has the potential to be an outstandimg puck possesion forward. Ive watched in jr. and Sweden how teammates have used him to facilitate clean breakouts and possesion. Hes very strong on the boards and is comfortable in open ice making plays. He uses his skillset to hold onto pucks and make consistent smart simple plays and skill plays utilizing his terrific wingspan. I think the composure and skill in his game allows him to generate shots and possesion at an elite level in the leagues he's played in. Will that translate to the NHL in a scoring role? I dont know but I feel confident its likely to translate into a quality top 9 forward. I just dont see what will keep him from being solid at the NHL level and I can see the potential for more. He gets a lot of shots from the slot and in close and that tends to translate. I also think his shot and hands are both excellent even of they may not be elite.

Agreed. It is awesome that we have 2 legit goal scoring wingers coming down the pipeline. It's just too bad that Maximov didn't have a better start to his NA pro career. Hopefully he can take a big step forward this season in Russia.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. It is awesome that we have 2 legit goal scoring wingers coming down the pipeline. It's just too bad that Maximov didn't have a better start to his NA pro career. Hopefully he can take a big step forward this season in Russia.
Maximov is doing pretty well in the VHL but he isn't close to a KHL guy right now which is a bit concerning.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Holloway stepped right in last season while Savoie was still in the AJHL. Kind of an unfair comparison in that sense. That said, the fact that Savoie appears to at least be Holloway's equal offensively in spite of having no previous NCAA experience speaks volumes to how special his skillset is. Its almost like a Toews vs, Kane type of a scenario, both are great but have different skill sets. Not saying that either guy gets there obviously, just using them as a well known example of 2 high end players getting things done in different ways.

It's not really an unfair comparison. Holloway is a 2001 birthday, Savoie a 2002 birthday. Technically they're only four months apart but you compare players on the age group they're in. That's what matters.

They both played two seasons in AJHL before going to college and, interestingly, Savoie outproduced Holloway quite significantly and he even wasn't that far behind him in points two years ago despite Savoie being 'a year younger'. Holloway was 2nd in AJHL scoring that year, Savoie 5th. Pretty impressive.

And yeah, as mentioned earlier, Savoie's season in the AJHL last year was the best U18 season in the past 20 years with 1.83 PPG. Holloway is 2nd with 1.66 PPG.

So it's not really a stretch to say that Savoie has higher upside and has done better so far if you look at their numbers for the past 3-4 years. It makes me wonder how high Savoie would've gone in the draft if he had the size and skating of Holloway (and perhaps played in a better/more highly scouted league), because looking at this it would seem like he is the bigger talent of the two.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Savoie is also getting way more minutes than Holloway did.

A little unfair to compare someone who has 3/4 of their points on the PP to someone who didn't even play on the PP for most of the season.

I mean there are many arguments you can make both ways. Savoie leads his team in scoring as a rookie and has no one to play with. Holloway was 8th in scoring on his team and had lots of talent on his team, which obviously can be both a good and a bad thing. But regarding your argument specifically, Holloway isn't a guy that'll play on the PP in the NHL anyway (except maybe as a net presence) so him not getting PP minutes while Savoie does isn't really a good excuse because it's reflecting the roles they'll play in the NHL and that Savoie has a higher offensive ceiling. And I mean, he's getting PP minutes for a reason, the guy is getting results.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I mean there are many arguments you can make both ways. Savoie leads his team in scoring as a rookie and has no one to play with. Holloway was 8th in scoring on his team and had lots of talent on his team, which obviously can be both a good and a bad thing. But regarding your argument specifically, Holloway isn't a guy that'll play on the PP in the NHL anyway (except maybe as a net presence) so him not getting PP minutes while Savoie does isn't really a good excuse because it's reflecting the roles they'll play in the NHL and that Savoie has a higher offensive ceiling. And I mean, he's getting PP minutes for a reason, the guy is getting results.

It just isn't an apples to apples comparison, so trying to draw conclusions based on point totals is pretty pointless.

Opportunity is the very obvious difference between the two.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It just isn't an apples to apples comparison, so trying to draw conclusions based on point totals is pretty pointless.

Opportunity is the very obvious difference between the two.

I disagree. If Holloway played better he would've gotten more opportunity. It's not like Wisconsin was this amazing, impenetrable team last season. And obviously it's not just that year, Savoie outproduced him in the AJHL too.

Anyway, I'm not saying there's a gigantic difference between them or anything. Holloway has more tools and is the much safer bet to be an NHLer, but I don't think you can ignore Savoie's offensive upside either. Kid can clearly play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad