Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think that slide rule only works if they sign the contract before they turn 19.

He would end up signing a ELC and then going to bakersfield on an ATO anyways and his ELC wouldnt start until next year.
"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Alex Turcottes on the list and he signed as a 19 year old. Holloway's would slide this season, but not next because he turns 20 before Dec 31. But yes, in the event that there is something I'm missing he could be signed to an ELC starting next season and an ATO for the remainder of this one.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Alex Turcottes on the list and he signed as a 19 year old. Holloway's would slide this season, but not next because he turns 20 before Dec 31. But yes, in the event that there is something I'm missing he could be signed to an ELC starting next season and an ATO for the remainder of this one.
"An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide." Would this apply to Holloway as he turns 20 on the 23rd of September.

The weird season dates has me all confused.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
"An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide." Would this apply to Holloway as he turns 20 on the 23rd of September.

The weird season dates has me all confused.
It would apply for next season yes. His contract won't slide next year because of his late birthday, but it would for the remainder of this season if he signs an ELC. He could also play 6 NHL games this season and have it slide.
  • "2020-21: The 10 GP requirement was pro-rated to 7 GP for all players"

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I am excited as f*** to see this guy play on the Oilers. Some Eric Lindros-Lite

Literally the perfect compliment to out forward group if he reaches his potential. Can play wing or center, good on faceoffs, skates well, great forechecker, physical, good wrister, good defensively and can PK.

Hoping he can finish this season at Wisco with a national championship and play some for the Condors before battling for a full-time spot on the Oilers next season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
3 minutes of Holloway hitting people:

All of that is from his Freshman year as well. Some stuff from the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

He's had a bunch of massive hits this season as he's bigger, stronger, and faster than he was as a Freshman. Likewise, he had some huge hits at the WJC this year.

I can't wait until he's an Oiler, hopefully he finishes the year strong and jumps into a top 6 role with Bakersfield before becoming an Oiler the following year.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Even looking at a highlight from this year like this, it's easy to get excited about him attacking with speed in our top 6. He adds a dimension that definitely could use.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Holloway's forechecking ability reminds me a bit of Pulju's. The long stride and long reach disrupt a lot of plays. I'm picturing a Holloway-McDavid-Pulju line giving teams fits below the goal line.
Agreed. I think Pulju could really benefit from playing with a Holloway type. Pulju is starting to use his body more to steal pucks on the forecheck. Having a consistent wrecking ball on his line like Holloway might keep Pulju's spark going - they could really feed off each other.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Holloway's forechecking ability reminds me a bit of Pulju's. The long stride and long reach disrupt a lot of plays. I'm picturing a Holloway-McDavid-Pulju line giving teams fits below the goal line.

I think Holloway theoretically fits better on Drai’s line. Ideally we get McDavid his own Yamamoto, a smaller guy who can make plays in tight spaces and feed off his creativity. Pulju then has a very defined role- get the puck when you don’t have it, and go to the front of the net when you do.

On Line 2, Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto is just a nasty forechecking combo all the way around if all goes well. I can see those three dominating zone time and wearing defenders down. It also presents two different ways of attacking: a skill line and a more grind-based one. Very few teams could counter that, outside of maybe Tampa.

However, Holloway still has a ways to go. Let’s not forget it was just three months ago that he was relegated to a checking role on TC after getting healthy looks up the roster. I’m not even sure pulling him out of college after one good season is a great idea TBH. You want these kids to force your hand, not be brought along just because you need them.

Last edited:
Reactions: nally

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Is it possible Holloway could be the best player in the draft from 2020?

I don't think he is or will be the best but he sure went too late (good for us though).
Players like him and JP in our top 6 create lots of opportunities and space for McDrai. He has the ability to take faceoffs and drop to 3C if needed which is huge plus.

Homerun pick IMO.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I think Holloway theoretically fits better on Drai’s line. Ideally we get McDavid his own Yamamoto, a smaller guy who can make plays in tight spaces and feed off his creativity. Pulju then has a very defined role- get the puck when you don’t have it, and go to the front of the net when you do.

On Line 2, Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto is just a nasty forechecking combo all the way around if all goes well. I can see those three dominating zone time and wearing defenders down. It also presents two different ways of attacking: a skill line and a more grind-based one. Very few teams could counter that, outside of maybe Tampa.

However, Holloway still has a ways to go. Let’s not forget it was just three months ago that he was relegated to a checking role on TC after getting healthy looks up the roster. I’m not even sure pulling him out of college after one season is a great idea TBH. You want these kids to force your hand, not be brought along just because you need them.

I think he has forced our hand with his play this season, and this is his second year of college hockey.

Reactions: ujju2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Sign him to an ELC and handle like Zegras. If he can't handle the NHL after 5 games, send him to the AHL.

Edit: I mean next year

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think he has forced our hand with his play this season, and this is his second year of college hockey.
This. The expectations for him were to be a PPG player this season and have a Caufield type season production wise next in Wisconson hopefully making team Canada Jr squad.
He blew past those expectations and shrunk his development by a year. The kid has very little left to prove and is ready to turn pro.

A ride on the taxi squad this year and a full year in AHL next season should be the new expectation. Wont be surprised if he blows past them as well.

Reactions: nally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad