Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think there is a much better chance than there "should" be. Due to being thread bare think at forward.

Age and development he should likely see at least half a year in the AHL. Assuming that goes well its only half a year but he is still very young and outside of an insanely good draft +1 year I think we would be talking multiple years at the ahl level.
I’m not sure he would benefit much from multiple years spent in the AHL.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It can't possibly be that hard to upgrade on a guy who hasn't played professional hockey yet.

Yeah but look how well Caufield has looked for Montreal though. Holloway was more impressive than Caufield a lot of games for Wisconsin, and while they play different games and have different strengths, Holloway is faster, grittier and has a more NHL suited game.

I think the temptation would be to put him in the lineup right away because he should be able to play in the bottom 6 immediately and then hope he can work his way up the lineup. It's what he did at Wisconsin. However maybe he would be better served by working on his offence at the AHL level, although it's really dependent on the individual player whether the NHL or AHL is better suited to grow their game. That said, I would anticipate that prior to the end of the year next year Holloway is making an impact at the NHL level.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’m not sure he would benefit much from multiple years spent in the AHL.

My arm chair GMIng says we should be giving big pushes at forward to all our promising prospects. Holloway, Lavoie, Benson, McLeod, even a guy like Marody heck maybe even whoever we draft this year. We need multiple young players to take huge strides.

But.

As someone mentioned Holloway hasn't even played pro hockey yet. As much as i, and most on here, hope he can skip the AHL I don't think we should be surprised or upset if he doesn't. A single great college year isn't enough to guage nhl success and a couple years in the AHL wouldn't be unexpected for where we drafted him and his general skill set.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
My arm chair GMIng says we should be giving big pushes at forward to all our promising prospects. Holloway, Lavoie, Benson, McLeod, even a guy like Marody heck maybe even whoever we draft this year. We need multiple young players to take huge strides.

But.

As someone mentioned Holloway hasn't even played pro hockey yet. As much as i, and most on here, hope he can skip the AHL I don't think we should be surprised or upset if he doesn't. A single great college year isn't enough to guage nhl success and a couple years in the AHL wouldn't be unexpected for where we drafted him and his general skill set.
Given how it's worked out over the last 15 years I don't think anyone should be expecting Holloway to make an impact next year.

Hope? Sure.

Expectation? f*** no. Ideally he has to push someone out.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Even if Holloway looks great in camp he should be sent to the AHL. How many times has a prospect had a great camp and preseason games then looked like dog shit once the real games start. Let him gain some confidence in the AHL and then call him up. This is a 14th overall pick, not a top 3 pick. Even Draisaitl wasn’t ready a the start of his 2nd pro season for NHL hockey.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Even if Holloway looks great in camp he should be sent to the AHL. How many times has a prospect had a great camp and preseason games then looked like dog shit once the real games start. Let him gain some confidence in the AHL and then call him up. This is a 14th overall pick, not a top 3 pick. Even Draisaitl wasn’t ready a the start of his 2nd pro season for NHL hockey.

If he doesn't look ready off the hop or struggles initially then sure send him down. Automatically sending every player to the AHL just because starting in the NHL hasn't worked for other players is misguided. The decision should always be made on an individual basis as to what is best for the player's development.

Holloway is a different type of top-6 forward prospect than the Oilers have had in a long time and his game is very well suited to the NHL in that he's a fast skater, hits, plays gritty, is a smart player, and is good defensively. If you focus just on his production you're missing the boat on what makes him an effective player. So if he shows well at the NHL level and his game would develop better in the NHL where the game is more organized, smarter and has more flow to it why would you send him to the AHL where it's slower and more chaotic and might not be the best environment for him to improve?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah but look how well Caufield has looked for Montreal though. Holloway was more impressive than Caufield a lot of games for Wisconsin, and while they play different games and have different strengths, Holloway is faster, grittier and has a more NHL suited game.

I think the temptation would be to put him in the lineup right away because he should be able to play in the bottom 6 immediately and then hope he can work his way up the lineup. It's what he did at Wisconsin. However maybe he would be better served by working on his offence at the AHL level, although it's really dependent on the individual player whether the NHL or AHL is better suited to grow their game. That said, I would anticipate that prior to the end of the year next year Holloway is making an impact at the NHL level.

I think for players like Holloway who play a very mature game and understand system play, that time spent in the AHL won’t really help them.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

But.

I wouldn’t be upset if he spent some time in the AHL, but I don’t see the need for a couple of years in the AHL given his ability to think the game at a high level, his understanding of system play and his coachability.

Reactions: Aerchon

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If he doesn't look ready off the hop or struggles initially then sure send him down. Automatically sending every player to the AHL just because starting in the NHL hasn't worked for other players is misguided. The decision should always be made on an individual basis as to what is best for the player's development.

Holloway is a different type of top-6 forward prospect than the Oilers have had in a long time and his game is very well suited to the NHL in that he's a fast skater, hits, plays gritty, is a smart player, and is good defensively. If you focus just on his production you're missing the boat on what makes him an effective player. So if he shows well at the NHL level and his game would develop better in the NHL where the game is more organized, smarter and has more flow to it why would you send him to the AHL where it's slower and more chaotic and might not be the best environment for him to improve?

That also means that Holland couldn’t find any NHL proven LWs. I want Holloway to force his way onto the roster. Not be given a spot because of our lack of depth or because he was a first round pick. A sign of a good to great team is having prospects spend time in the minors/Europe etc before making a permanent jump to the NHL. We’ve been a loser team for so long that we expect every 1st round pick to play in the NHL right away.

Reactions: GOilers88

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Idk, it’d be pretty hard for the habs to upgrade on Caufield.

Don't want to side track the thread here, but man that Broberg pick just looks worse and worse over time doesn't it? Caufield is a guy lots of us had circled as he was the consensus best "one shot scorer" in the draft. Really the only player taken right after Broberg that hasn't looked better so far is Podkolzin, and even that is debatable. Zegras has looked miles better obviously. Caufield light years better. Knight looks like a future starter. Soderstrom looked good in a cup of coffee in the NHL and put up good numbers in the AHL. Boldy had cup of coffee in NHL and destroyed the AHL. York had few NHL games, looked really good in theNCAA and fantastic in the AHL. Newhook looked good in the NHL and dominant in the NCAA and AHL. Krebs had fantastic WHL and PPG pace in short AHL stint. Harley had a ridiculous AHL PPG for a dman at 0.66. I'd argue you have to go down to pick #18 and Thomson before you find a real argument around a player who is "about the same" as Broberg.

Holland literally could have taken any player of the next 10 drafted players, other than Pofkolzin (and there is an argument to be made there as well) instead of Broberg, and we'd be ahead of the game right now.

Broberg was a consensus 15-17 pick though wasn't he? So it makes some sense that you have to go to the middle of the round before the comparables become favorable.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Don't want to side track the thread here, but man that Broberg pick just looks worse and worse over time doesn't it? Caufield is a guy lots of us had circled as he was the consensus best "one shot scorer" in the draft. Really the only player taken right after Broberg that hasn't looked better so far is Podkolzin, and even that is debatable. Zegras has looked miles better obviously. Caufield light years better. Knight looks like a future starter. Soderstrom looked good in a cup of coffee in the NHL and put up good numbers in the AHL. Boldy had cup of coffee in NHL and destroyed the AHL. York had few NHL games, looked really good in theNCAA and fantastic in the AHL. Newhook looked good in the NHL and dominant in the NCAA and AHL. Krebs had fantastic WHL and PPG pace in short AHL stint. Harley had a ridiculous AHL PPG for a dman at 0.66. I'd argue you have to go down to pick #18 and Thomson before you find a real argument around a player who is "about the same" as Broberg.

Holland literally could have taken any player of the next 10 drafted players, other than Pofkolzin (and there is an argument to be made there as well) instead of Broberg, and we'd be ahead of the game right now.

Broberg was a consensus 15-17 pick though wasn't he? So it makes some sense that you have to go to the middle of the round before the comparables become favorable.
I’m on the record as having wanted Zegras, but I remain hopeful on Broberg. I’m working on the assumption that Klefbom never plays another game for us. If so, and he gets anywhere near his potential, we’ll be very glad we have Broberg. Let’s not forget that once we get beyond Nurse, we’re counting on Jones, Russell and Lagesson right now and/or hoping Samorukov is ready. Not exactly murderers row.

Last edited:

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Broberg was a long term project from the start. We didn't pick him because we thought he'd have the best d+1,2,3 season. He was picked because of his potential and how raw he was. It was a high risk high reward play imo, where the payoff is longer term. Comparing him now to two players who were originally expected to be on a much quicker path to the NHL is a poor way to look at it.

Broberg almost forced his way onto the team for the play ins last year, had a rough year oversees this year, and what happens next is anyones guess. Development is not linear. Just look at how many people were questioning the Drai pick after his rookie year, or a more recent example, how many people had JP completely written off only for him to outscore Laine this season, and only score 1 less goal than Turtle boy, all without PP time.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Idk, it’d be pretty hard for the habs to upgrade on Caufield.
That doesnt even mean anything though. That has absolutely nothing to do with Dylan Holloway and his zero games played as a pro.

I just think people are setting themselves up to be pissy if he doesn't become an impact player literally right out of the gate. I don't think it should be the expectation at all especially given this is the Oilers we're talking about, and I think we should be able to find someone we know is a legit top sixer instead of thinking Holloway will just instantly be that guy.

I hope to hell he becomes that guy, I just think it's unwise to bank on him filling that hole right away.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Broberg was a long term project from the start. We didn't pick him because we thought he'd have the best d+1,2,3 season. He was picked because of his potential and how raw he was. It was a high risk high reward play imo, where the payoff is longer term. Comparing him now to two players who were originally expected to be on a much quicker path to the NHL is a poor way to look at it.

Broberg almost forced his way onto the team for the play ins last year, had a rough year oversees this year, and what happens next is anyones guess. Development is not linear. Just look at how many people were questioning the Drai pick after his rookie year, or a more recent example, how many people had JP completely written off only for him to outscore Laine this season, and only score 1 less goal than Turtle boy, all without PP time.

As another mentioned Broberg was ranked 15-17. Comparing him to the consensus top 10 or better elite teir examples you list is very very disingenuous. Broberg does not even belong in the same breath of the prospects/players you mentioned.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That doesnt even mean anything though. That has absolutely nothing to do with Dylan Holloway and his zero games played as a pro.

I just think people are setting themselves up to be pissy if he doesn't become an impact player literally right out of the gate. I don't think it should be the expectation at all especially given this is the Oilers we're talking about, and I think we should be able to find someone we know is a legit top sixer instead of thinking Holloway will just instantly be that guy.

I hope to hell he becomes that guy, I just think it's unwise to bank on him filling that hole right away.

Good teams typically don't do stuff like that unless they are in cap hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad