Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
That award has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of these kids ability to translate their skill to the NHL game. Didn't Jimmy Vesey win this award in the past?

With that being said it would probably be nice add to Holloways trophy case, along with his Calder.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I read up on this and it sounds like the vote has an influence but doesn’t determine 100%. Something about 29 voter panel as well as fan vote. Maybe they changed it this year though?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would hope it's not based on fan vote lmao. That would be horrendous. A few of us have watched some of his games this year. The vast majority have not.

Reactions: Dempsey

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Is this actually how they hand out this award? Really? Beyond stupid if that is the case.

STOP THE COUNT

Seriously though why is this up for fan vote :laugh:

I would hope it's not based on fan vote lmao. That would be horrendous. A few of us have watched some of his games this year. The vast majority have not.

The fan vote doesn’t mean anything. It makes up a very small percentage of the overall total, with the Hobey Baker selection committee having like 95%+ of the vote share. It’s just a way to drum up interest (and seems to be working).

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I read up on this and it sounds like the vote has an influence but doesn’t determine 100%. Something about 29 voter panel as well as fan vote. Maybe they changed it this year though?
That's probably more reasonable. I joke about it but I understand its kind of prestigious trophy. Professionals will undoubtedly look deeper than the surface box scores.

Holloway plays the more vital position, is a complete player and has the intangibles. All are more conducive to winning hockey games than one dimensional Caufield.

Doesn't matter how good of a goal scorer you are if you can't stop the other team, can't transition the puck or need someone to set you up. Look how Laine is doing in Columbus and Caufield is no were near the goal scorer. Holliday deserves that trophy, he's the better player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe it's like the Edmonton Football team fan vote for a new name. Fans send in their choices, and then the organization just garbage them and roll out their own.;)

Reactions: PuckG

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I think bringing him onto the taxi squad when his season is done could be huge. He could sneak into a few games but just practicing with the team for the rest of the season would be massive for his development and give the team a really good feel on where he should be starting next season.
Many players have said how intense the practices are with the taxi squad.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think bringing him onto the taxi squad when his season is done could be huge. He could sneak into a few games but just practicing with the team for the rest of the season would be massive for his development and give the team a really good feel on where he should be starting next season.
Many players have said how intense the practices are with the taxi squad.

I think if he crosses the border to Edmonton Holloway is ear marked for a roster spot not the taxi squad. However the easiest path to pro (covid, competition level) is to slide onto the Bakersfield roster for meaningful games against professional competition which would benchmark where Holloway is in his development. Games against professional competition is more important than practice time.

With the Oilers super tight cap situation, I'm starting to tilt to Holloway going right to the Oilers roster as an X-factor wildcard who would act somewhat as a deadline day acquisition bringing energy, size and compete for a stretch drive likely down to the wire. Will be interesting!

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I agree that he will probably be heading straight here.
I will say though that practicing with guys like Connor, Leon and Nurse regularly would be super valuable for him. If he hadn't played much I would say yes go to bakersfield.
I think if he crosses the border to Edmonton Holloway is ear marked for a roster spot not the taxi squad. However the easiest path to pro (covid, competition level) is to slide onto the Bakersfield roster for meaningful games against professional competition which would benchmark where Holloway is in his development. Games against professional competition is more important than practice time.

With the Oilers super tight cap situation, I'm starting to tilt to Holloway going right to the Oilers roster as an X-factor wildcard who would act somewhat as a deadline day acquisition bringing energy, size and compete for a stretch drive likely down to the wire. Will be interesting!

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I agree that he will probably be heading straight here.
I will say though that practicing with guys like Connor, Leon and Nurse regularly would be super valuable for him. If he hadn't played much I would say yes go to bakersfield.

If he's on the taxi squad though I don't believe they practise with the main group. Separate and distinct practices as they aren't technically on the roster. Great thing about Holloway's game is his versatility so if he airdrops onto the Oilers roster he could be eased in as a bottom six energy role.

EDIT: Don't want to get ahead of things, Holloway has big games to play yet in Wisconsin. Let's see how he does in 'money time.' But I fully believe he's going pro when his college season is done.

Reactions: McSpecial DraiBlend

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

I think I saw like 3 games am I qualified to vote?

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I thought the taxi squad still practiced with the main group. But i'm definitely not certain by any means.
If he's on the taxi squad though I don't believe they practise with the main group. Separate and distinct practices as they aren't technically on the roster. Great thing about Holloway's game is his versatility so if he airdrops onto the Oilers roster he could be eased in as a bottom six energy role.

EDIT: Don't want to get ahead of things, Holloway has big games to play yet in Wisconsin. Let's see how he does in 'money time.' But I fully believe he's going pro when his college season is done.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I thought the taxi squad still practiced with the main group. But i'm definitely not certain by any means.

Oops! Sorry, you are correct and I am wrong!! My apology for being a bit premature on this.

Still think with Holloway if he winds up in Edmonton with the quarantine conditions it will mean they want him on the active roster and in games. Simplest play is to send him to Bakersfield to roll with the prospects. Will be interesting to watch this stretch drive.

Reactions: McSpecial DraiBlend

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Calgary can have that Markstrom contract.
I'll admit I was wrong. I wanted Markstrom.

Although now I want Driedger next offseason lol. Probably could be had for a much better deal than Markstrom

Edit: but lol how did we get on this in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad